Monkees Record Store Day exclusives 2016

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JDistheone, Mar 9, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BeatleStair

BeatleStair Senior Member

Just got mine too! Should the inner plastic sleeves be replaced on the box set? Are these the kind that leave that weird dust/mark on the records? I replaced the PVC type sleeve for the logo 45 and pulled off the sticker and put it on a piece of paper.

Just curious if you were replacing your inner sleeves?

[​IMG]

2. JDistheone

JDistheone Forum Resident Thread Starter

They all say "MASTERED BY CAPITOL" except the Pisces LP. I don't know the symbols, but they all seem to have been marked with a capitol "I" with a sideways "S" inside the horizontal bars of the "I". And there is a "G1" also nearby.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2016
  3. MickAvory

MickAvory Forum Resident

Thanks.. so.. not Chris Bellman like that lovely Head that came out a few years ago.

4. JDistheone

I still have my last picture disc in that PVC sleeve "Every Step Of The Way", which was, oddly enough, the last commercially released single. So 29 years later Rhino finally releases another single and its also a picture disc. I'll probably keep 'em in the sleeve they came with.

Grand_Ennui and BeatleStair like this.
  5. Smartin62

Smartin62 Forum Resident

To anyone:

Has anyone verified that these are/aren't the same mixes found on the MTM Super Deluxe?

6. Sunset Sam

Sunset Sam Forum Resident

So, JD....you paid $18 for the single, too?

Is 50% an acceptable markup to be keeping with "the spirit" of RSD? I think we need to figure out how to report these stores.

Grand_Ennui likes this.
  7. BobGilly

BobGilly Active Member

the last place I was at had the following: $30 (he had one left-he said he sold 14)
    lp box was $150 (he had 2 left) , he stated he sold 8

8. BeatleStair

BeatleStair Senior Member

Yikes, people are marking these up! Mine were a couple of dollars over list so I wasn't too upset - plus there was a 10% off coupon today so all good. Man, bad markups though!

9. rswitzer

rswitzer Forum Resident

The single was $22 at my local store. They only had one. The box was $135 which seemed a lot more reasonable. The store had 2, I got one.

10. "R" Ed

"R" Ed Forum Resident

At Princeton Record Exchange the box set was $124.99 and $13.99 for the picture disc.

11. yellowballoon

yellowballoon Senior Member

Box $128 and single $10.97 here at Bullmoose in Maine

Mark Nelson likes this.
  12. yellowballoon

Very impressed with the pressings. Clean, no issues. The sound is an upgrade to what has been re-issued on vinyl that's out there. The HEAD vinyl was nice back in 2012, but the mastering here is clean and you can tell this wasn't meant to be a cheap run off. The new master for Changes finally has some balls in the bass. I have all the various re-issued vinyl and originals, this will be my go to set to play.

13. Galley

Galley Forum Resident

My store had four singles at $12.98. Mine is number 0150.

14. Francisx

Francisx Forum Resident

They are the same masters...nothing new but the packaging

15. D-rock

D-rock Senior Member

So will both these be available online Monday from Bullmoose.com??

16. radickeyfan

radickeyfan Forum Resident

This is a winner of a set.

yellowballoon and D-rock like this.
  17. yellowballoon

Check back Monday 10 am eastern
    You can check online right now for stock. Only a few stores have each.

D-rock likes this.
  18. JDistheone

Well I had no way of knowing what Josey Records was going to price these at, and I had waited in line overnight for 8 hours so I was too tired to argue. I think they did price gouge me. This is how you cash in, but it is not how you build a loyal customer base. I won't ever go back to that store again.

Are there any rules for how much the stores can charge?

19. mrbobdobalina

mrbobdobalina Forum Resident

The general rule is don't charge more than 20% above MSRP. Now the Monkees picture disc MSRP is 14.98, so I think a store charging $18 is pretty much right on the money. And certainly not enough of a profit margin over cost to be considered gouging.

20. Sunset Sam

I saw an old post on here that the RSD pledge the stores adhere to state no more than a 20% markup....but, whether the RSD folks actually keep law & order is a whole other issue.

21. Sunset Sam

Nope....it is $11.98 MSRP.

[​IMG]

JDistheone likes this.
  22. mrbobdobalina

Not according to the list i received from one of my distributors. It may vary from distributor to distributor, but mine said 14.98.

23. mrbobdobalina

Just looked up my cost for the Monkees pic discs. I paid 11.39 each for the ones that I received. So at that cost, I'm selling them for $18.

24. JDistheone

It just comes down to what RSD is all about: growing your customer base or cashing in. Unfortunately I think sellers know that most customers are putting these straight on to eBay and they want to cash in on that action. I count over 100 picture discs on eBay right now.

25. mrbobdobalina

Based on my experience, I would have to disagree with you here. I would say that at least 99% of the customers that I had today were buying RSD items for their own collections.

factory44 and Mazzy like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.