Monkees Tour 2020

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by radickeyfan, Nov 4, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Propinquity

Propinquity Forum Resident

I'm still buying it but I wholeheartedly agree with you guys. I'd much rather hear a bad Nez vocal on one of his own songs than hear Micky sing one of Davy's songs.

If it was up to me, I'd prefer a live album compiled from the 2011-2012 tours with all four Monkees. Not only would it have the potential to be the definitive live Monkees album, but it could also be edited in such a way so as to give the impression that all 4 were on stage together.

from 2011:
    She Hangs Out
    It's Nice To Be With You
    Look Out
    Cuddly Toy
    All of Your Toys
    Hard to Believe
    Sometime in the Morning
    Daddy's Song
    When Love Comes Knockin
    Shades of Gray
    Someday Man
    Daydream Believer
    The Girl I Knew Somewhere (Micky)
    I Don't Think You Know Me
    Saturday's Child

2012:
    Papa Gene's Blues
    Sweet Young Thing
    You Told Me
    Sunny Girlfriend
    You Just May Be The One
    Daily Nightly
    Tapioca Tundra
    What Am I Doing Hangin Round?
    Circle Sky

Either:
    Clarksville
    She
    I'm a Believer
    Steppin' Stone
    Mary Mary
    For Pete's Sake
    Randy Scouse Git
    Porpoise Song
    As We Go Along
    Can You Dig It?
    Do I Have To Do This All Over Again?
    Grizelda
    Goin Down
    Words
    Pleasant Valley Sunday

Last edited: Feb 23, 2020
  2. Guy Smiley

Guy Smiley America’s Favorite Game Show Host

Good point. Assuming it’ll be available on Apple Music, I’ll stream it there, buy it if/when the other tracks get released. Dunno why I didn’t think of that.

D-rock and DaveJ like this.
  3. Glass Candy

Glass Candy Forum Resident

You people don't deserve quality Monkees releases with your asinine and shallow complaints. I'm not the only one who thinks so, I can tell you. This album is not for you.

4. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

I really don't know how I feel about the twosome...probably would skip it if it came to town......

5. intv7

intv7 Senior Member

This assumes that shows on these prior tours were professionally recorded -- and unfortunately they weren't.

6. Propinquity

Source?

7. intv7

intv7 Senior Member

Do you have evidence that they were? It's known that most latter day Monkees tours were not professionally documented -- and I thought it was understood that the 2019 shows were the first time they ran multitracks on any Monkees tour since 2001.

8. Propinquity

I have no evidence. Where did you read that the 2019 shows were the first multitrack recordings since 2001? I'm not trying to be oppositional or difficult. Did Andrew post that on Facebook or something?

9. intv7

intv7 Senior Member

The only tours since then were between 2011-2016. Andrew's been asked lots of time on social media, both during those tours and since, whether anything was recorded, and the answer was always 'no'. I have no links to anything to point to, but trust me, nothing was professionally recorded on those tours.

10. Propinquity

To be clear, there probably are soundboard recordings from 2011-16 tours, just no multi-tracks.

I read Andrew's tweets about the upcoming M&M CD. Looks like they put a lot of work into it. I'm sure it will be great.

Hep Alien and AlmanacZinger like this.
  11. D-rock

D-rock Senior Member

Here we go ... someone who claims to be best friends with Sandoval.

12. Propinquity

LOL. The patsradio of Monkees threads.

D-rock likes this.
  13. AlmanacZinger

AlmanacZinger Zingin'

You're missing out on some of the best quality presentation of Monkees music. Ever.

14. AlmanacZinger

AlmanacZinger Zingin'

Absolutely criminal. What the hell was Rhino dong all that time? All this yammering about how tech is smaller, cheaper, more accessible, etc...and...nothing? Damned fools.

D-rock and DaveJ like this.
  15. AlmanacZinger

AlmanacZinger Zingin'

Fine. Then release the '96 - '97 shows. Those were.

Hep Alien and D-rock like this.
  16. AlmanacZinger

AlmanacZinger Zingin'

What about the complaints with depth? Waiting for the projects we were promised years ago and such? Those baits and switches are total d*ck moves. I'm not the only one who thinks so, I can tell you.

Iceman08 and DaveJ like this.
  17. AlmanacZinger

AlmanacZinger Zingin'

Did Tork do the vocals for this on the 2011 tour?

D-rock likes this.
  18. FredV

FredV Senior Member

Yes.

19. JuanTCB

JuanTCB Senior Member

What are we still waiting on? The HQ and Pisces Super Deluxes? And what bait & switches? The Johnny Cash/Jerry Lee blu-ray bonus feature thing?

Not being a dick, legitimately wondering.

20. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

I don't think there is any other rock act - ok perhaps Hendrix - that has seen so much attention from an archival perspective and has had such large volume of material released from their vaults. At this point the contents of their original albums probably are less than 20% of their catalog. The complaints about what we do not have are baffling.

Folks seemingly are disgruntled because the massive Headquarters sessions release was in a box that does not match the 4 CD boxes of some of their other albums and that the Pisces expanded reissue was only 2 packed CDs not 4. Really?

21. docwebb

docwebb Forum Resident

Grateful Dead and Elvis have massive numbers of archival releases. But they have more fans willing to open up pocketbooks for multiple recordings of the same song (of course the Dead often varied how they performed the song). There have been great Monkees archival releases, about all one can hope for.

Iceman08 and Rfreeman like this.
  22. TheDailyBuzzherd

TheDailyBuzzherd Forum Resident

At this point, Mickey should join The FNB.

23. Ram4

Ram4 Lookin' good

The Beach Boys have had a lot of archival material coming out.

Hep Alien likes this.
  24. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

True re GD live releases. I was speaking more of studio archives than live shows.

Elvis had a gargantuan catalog to begin with and I am not well informed about how archival releases have expanded it.

DaveJ likes this.
  25. docwebb

docwebb Forum Resident

Elvis has his own specialty record label (FTD = Follow That Dream) which has released tons of live performances and remastered studio albums with bonus tracks (mostly studio out takes). I think one release had 48 studio versions of Loving You or something like that (including false starts). Don't need that from the Monkees! We don't even have that much from the Beatles. I am happy with what we have gotten from the Monkees.

Hep Alien, TaumpyTears and Rfreeman like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.