Mono Pink Floyd Piper at the Gates of Dawn re-release March 4 2022

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by n.phelge, Jan 7, 2022.

1. Trainspotting

Trainspotting Senior Member

If you say so. But vinyl forgives sins that CD does not. There's gotta be a reason why Saucerful has never had a mono CD release. Like Beck's Truth, the first Grateful Dead album, After Bathing at Baxters, and a few others.

Hard to believe it's just coincidence.

kt66brooklyn likes this.
  2. Evan

Evan Senior Member

If only. I heard (from a friend) that there may be a downloadable needle drop on the web somewhere, but still no official digital release of the mono mix.

Sgt. Abbey Road likes this.
  3. Echoes Myron

Echoes Myron Forum Resident

Just my opinion and I know some others feel differently, but when I heard the Saucerful mono for the first time with RSD, I was not really all that floored. I know there are some differences in the mix, and sure it sounds OK, but my reaction was like "oh, it's in mono."

The Piper mono, however, was a whole different universe--a completely different and truly revelatory experience of this album.

4. Trainspotting

Trainspotting Senior Member

Yeah, I heard the same thing from others. Still want it though. Are You Experienced is another one of those hard-to-find mono mixes on CD. It got an SACD release last year (I think), but the reviews weren't too good.

Echoes Myron likes this.
  5. MemoInPR

MemoInPR Señor Memo

VMP has this info: The Piper at the Gates of Dawn

Color: Black
    Jacket Style: Direct-To-Board
    Jacket: Type Single
    Label: Legacy Recordings
    Mastering Engineer: James Guthrie, Joel Plante And Bernie Grundman
    Mastering Studio: Abbey Road Studios
    Pressing Location: Record Technology Incorporated (RTI)
    Release Type: Reissue
    Remastering Details: (AAA)

[​IMG]

andrewskyDE, Goldy, uzn007 and 3 others like this.
  6. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

Wait, it was mastered at Abbey Road? Not at Guthrie's place? Bernie didn't do the cutting at Abbey Road certainly. I think the AAA designation is fishy, personally...

I tend to agree; if the difference between mono and stereo mixes for Piper is analogous to The Beatles' Sgt. Pepper (not talking about the remixes, just the originals)... the same is true for Saucerful and the White Album. Some songs are notably different in mono, others not so much

It seems the band have taken the position that except for Piper and the early singles, stereo mixes are the ones they prefer to be out there, which is why it's kind of extraordinary a reissue of the mono Saucerful happened at all

kt66brooklyn and Echoes Myron like this.
  7. astro70

astro70 Forum Resident

Guys, the mastering info has been available since like 3 years ago. It’s NOT AAA. This has been discussed in great length before. The last time this was cut in mono AAA was 1969.

It’s the exact same mastering as the digital transfer RSD version. Nothing changed. VMP doesn’t know what they’re talking about, and half the time, “mastered from tape” does not mean AAA anyway, but there’s a whole other thread on that.

That all being said, unless you want to shell out several hundreds of dollars for an original UK mono pressing, this is the next best thing.

8. hallucalation

hallucalation Forum Resident

It's not priority for Pink Floyd to issue murky mono mix of second album. Same deal with Dead and Airplane. Master tapes for all of that albums exist. In fact Cream Puff War from mono 45' tape had been just issued on this compilation.
    Lenny Kaye Presents Lightning Striking

First Dead album is so barely different in Mono so it sounds like fold down (which is not but differences are minimal). That's why they never bothered to put it on 2017 deluxe.

vivalapsych, Jon H. and sparkmeister like this.
  9. elaterium

elaterium Forum Resident

I bought the Tower when it was first released. Still have it, along with the Emily single. Was many years after when I was in England that I discovered there was a whole other version of the record.

davenav likes this.
  10. elaterium

elaterium Forum Resident

I have it on a bootleg CD. Got it about 20 years ago. I have the RSD vinyl, but really, the stereo mix is the way to go I think.

11. jazon

jazon A fight between the blue you once knew

I saw that and thought yeah right its AAA. I think I will email them and ask but I'm sure its impossible that VMP will have any kind of special cut.

12. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

Certainly not with the exact same mastering team at an entirely different studio than the ones they typically work in

Interestingly, the gold-coloured Columbia label in this VMP product image is the same as the RSD release, only inverted colours (ie. gold text on black background instead of the other way around)

Gotta catch 'em all, completists!

Last edited: Jan 13, 2022
    Ayshpaysh and uzn007 like this.
  13. keylime_5

keylime_5 Forum Resident

That's probably a mix up too obviously. I mean the recording was done at Abbey Road, that's where their analogue tapes are from.

14. London Beckett

London Beckett Forum Resident

Would you be able to post a link to this? Just curious.

15. keylime_5

keylime_5 Forum Resident

acoustic sounds has info and the hype sticker of the upcoming version that indicates it's a repress of the 2017 mastering: Pink Floyd-Piper At The Gates Of Dawn-180 Gram Vinyl Record|Acoustic Sounds

James Guthrie mastered that to hi-res and Bernie cut it from there just like all of the recent PF reissues.

uzn007, sharedon and astro70 like this.
  16. Chee

Chee Forum Resident

No mono Saucerful? That's strange.

17. astro70

astro70 Forum Resident

Luckily that one is still pretty affordable. It’s been creeping up but nothing like Piper. Weren’t there more copies of Saucer?

uzn007 likes this.
  18. Colocally

Colocally One Of The New Wave Boys

The mono RSD saucerful was a lot easier to get than Piper, especially in North America.

19. Goldy

Goldy Failed to load

I hope they'll do a regular black and blue Columbia label this time. I'd buy a copy just for that.

EDIT Just saw the promo image posted above. Well I'm still tempted :D

Last edited: Jan 13, 2022
  20. Sytze

Sytze Senior Member

Don't recall 'A Nice Pair' in mono...

vivalapsych likes this.
  21. uzn007

uzn007 Watcher of the Skis

Yeah, I saw that in every record store for a few months after RSD.

Colocally likes this.
  22. parkgrover

parkgrover Forum Resident

I got the RSD release a few years back...,good to see this mono mix getting reissued, Piper sounds great in mono!

AlienRendel likes this.
  23. London Beckett

London Beckett Forum Resident

I can't find any info on it using the hi-res master. Is that just as assumption based on his previous work?

24. Detroit Rock Citizen

Detroit Rock Citizen RetroDawg Digital

There is a box dedicated to Pipers. It's on there.

25. keylime_5

keylime_5 Forum Resident

On all the recent (2016 and beyond) remasters it says the same thing on the hype sticker: "Remastered from the original analogue tapes by JAMES GUTHRIE, JOEL PLANTE and BERNIE GRUNDMAN." and they are all digital transfers. If it was all analog they wouldn't use 3 guys to cut it from tape.