Mono Pink Floyd Piper at the Gates of Dawn re-release March 4 2022

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by n.phelge, Jan 7, 2022.

1. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB

Well, it doesn't bum my trip too badly. I love the mono mix of the album generally.

kt66brooklyn likes this.
  2. jazon

jazon A fight between the blue you once knew

Yes! We need more official Syd floyd on vinyl.

3. scottabs

scottabs Senior Member

Now down to $24.49 on Amazon.

uzn007 and Goldy like this.
  4. Swordsandchains

Swordsandchains True metal never rusts

preordered this morning as soon as i saw that price

5. jazon

Just gonna drop this here...

Apples and Oranges on American Bandstand in colour

caravan70, ODShowtime, bhazen and 4 others like this.
  6. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

Last edited: Jan 22, 2022
    andrewskyDE likes this.
  7. marc with a c

marc with a c Forum Resident

That’s what I assumed was the case. If anyone finds proof to the contrary, please post it!

8. uzn007

uzn007 Watcher of the Skis

Yes. Nobody has suggested that it isn't, AFAIK.

ARK, astro70 and marcb like this.
  9. mooncusser2k

mooncusser2k "Oink, Oink, Woof, Woof, Baaaaa."

That's my understanding: that it's the same audio material in a different package (and hype sticker). I'm likely to pass - finally slowing down on buying stuff I already own.

10. Bruce Burgess

Bruce Burgess Senior Member

I hope it goes down on Amazon.ca. It's over $40CDN.

11. jazon

It started off as 34.95.

12. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

Yes... I got in at this price... though I still somehow expect it to drop a bit...

13. London Beckett

London Beckett Forum Resident

Probably for the best, think this is for people who missed out on the RSD copy.

14. nodbor

nodbor Forum Resident

yes, what's $25 to $30. $25.15 for this at deepdiscount.com (in the USA)

Last edited: Jan 27, 2022
  15. nodbor

nodbor Forum Resident

If you missed out on the 2018 RSD Deluxe release of Piper At The Gates Of Dawn, you can now order this mix. This release will not have the cover or poster that the RSD had. I ordered from Deepdiscount.com
    Wonder if this is an AAA issue.

Piper At The Gates Of Dawn (Mono Version) on LP
    We are excited to announce the wide release of Pink Floyd’s debut album, The Piper at the Gates of Dawn (Mono Version), previously available only as a 2018 Record Store Day exclusive. This album, originally released in 1967, is the only title recorded while under the leadership of Syd Barrett. It was recorded at the now legendary Abbey Road Studios and is considered one of the quintessential psychedelic records of its era.

This vinyl version will be housed in a standard single sleeve LP jacket similar to the 2016 stereo release as opposed to the deluxe packaging from the 2018 RSD release.

The Piper At The Gates Of Dawn. The classic 1967 album remastered in 2017 from the original MONO analogue tapes by James Guthrie, Joel Plante and Bernie Grundman, issued on heavyweight 180 gram vinyl.

16. nodbor

nodbor Forum Resident

burningshed.com in the UK is selling it at a good price.

17. tables_turning

tables_turning In The Groove

I would pay for a vinyl copy of Saucerful with "Vegetable Man" and "Scream" restored to the running order as they were intended to be. Those recordings exist; they were remixed for The Early Years 1965-1967 Cambridge St/ation compilation.

bhazen likes this.
  18. mcwlod

mcwlod Outside Looking In

There is a great compilation made by Prof Stoned on his site called „Pink Floyd - in the Beachwoods. The 2nd Syd album reconstructed”.
    It contains those songs as well and, as usual with Prof, sound is wonderful.

19. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

I strongly believe the mono mix of Saucerful wasn't mixed with care back then, compared to Piper, and might've been an afterthought while stereo became more popular in 1968.
    On the mono LP there's some overdubs missing in songs like 'Corporal Clegg' and 'Jugband Blues', while the stereo LP sounds more 'complete'.

Echoes Myron and elaterium like this.
  20. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

Yeah, that comp (incl. the album's title) is based on an LP idea I made a few years ago and for Prof Stoned's project in his (awesome) blog I contributed the cover artwork.

rvintamin, ODShowtime and mcwlod like this.
  21. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

It's funny they switched the colors on the LP labels. The RSD release had gold as background with text being black.
    This new one reminds me of those early Parlophone labels. Love it! Maybe I'll buy a copy of this too then.^^

mcwlod, bhazen and Echoes Myron like this.
  22. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

I was wondering why record companies do press vinyl records that thick these days. They actually could save so much material for more copies when LPs are back around 120g.

superstar19 and Marc Perman like this.
  23. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

I have an early UK pressing of the Floyd's The Final Cut, which is around 100 or 110g thin.
    Crazy that it sounds so good and loud, I'm always scared the needle would jump out of the groove (luckily it doesn't).^^

James Bennett likes this.
  24. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

Ummagumma material was recorded in 1969, just months after the More soundtrack in the same year.

25. johnnyyen

johnnyyen Senior Member

I bought this on RSD. It’s a great release, and don’t grudge it getting a wider release. It is deserved.