Mono record with Stereo cartridge - What to expect?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Sbcrue, Aug 12, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. VinylPhool

VinylPhool Forum Resident

YMMV, but I have found over time by listening to a great deal of early 50’s to mid 60’s jazz in mono, always with a stereo cart, that just like everything else in audio, the source material makes a huge difference. I have come across multiple records recently that feature mono sound that is so good that you do not even realize it is mono. King of the Tenors by Ben Webster and The Soulful Moods of Gene Ammons are beautiful examples of this.

2. misterjones

misterjones Smarter than the average bear.

I certainly like the richer sound of the .7 mil spherical on non-EP 45s - using the mono switch, as noted - but I'll have to see if that changes once we get into EP land. I understand that EPs had narrower grooves, but perhaps that makes no difference when it comes to the appropriate stylus.

3. JohnO

JohnO Senior Member

7" 45 EPs generally had the low end rolled off to allow tighter spacing and cutting of the groove. They can generally benefit from a little boost in the bass. Generally.
    The .7 conical will be fine on them.

misterjones likes this.
  4. MrMarty

MrMarty Well-Known Member

One of the reasons I’m thinking about buying a mono cart is because of a few records from some lads from England that I’ve heard about.

unityofsaints likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.