Monoprice Monolith THX 10/12/15-inch Subwoofer(s) Review with CEA-2010-A/B Max SPL Testing

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by ErinH, Dec 3, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ErinH

ErinH Forum Resident Thread Starter

I reviewed these subwoofers about a month or so ago. I thought I would share for those who may be interested. The Monoliths are very nice value subwoofers with a good deal of output not just for the price, but period.

Note: In the below video I provide objective data based on the CEA/CTA-2010 specification. There are two different standards: CEA-2010-A and CEA-2010-B. Others have tested the -A aspect but, to date, I am the only outlet providing both A & B so keep that in mind if you are looking to do comparisons against others' data; theirs are all the -A only. I don't want any confusion there because the standards are different in how they determine the max SPL.

I also do some other tests that are distinct to my reviews and I personally find useful. I don't create written reviews for subwoofers - I find the audience that cares about subwoofers typically would rather watch a video but the spreadsheet below has the raw numbers if you just want that and don't care about the video.

Anyway, I hope you find it useful. If you want to know about how I test subwoofers I have a couple other demo videos on my channel and you can find those there (but I won't link them here; don't want to look like I am spamming). Let me know if you guys have any questions.

Spreadsheet with results:

Erin's Audio Corner CEA-2010 Master Test List

Review:

2. Really nice review, thanks for sharing. Your explanation of phase is helpful too!

ErinH likes this.
  3. jeffmackwood

jeffmackwood Forum Resident

Erin,

I got about 10 minutes into the video and will finish it later, but want to give you some initial feedback.

Unless I missed something (I quickly went back to see if I did) you never talk about the port plugs. By the time you get to presenting graphs some viewers may be wondering why there's curves for vented and sealed. Maybe you deal with it later (and with the ability to plug only some ports) but I feel the video needs an edit to at least point this feature out early on.

Jeff

4. ErinH

I don’t recall if it’s in there still or not. I know at one point it was but I think I actually edited it out because the video ran longer than I wanted and I figure people looking at the product would be aware. My reviews are less of a traditional review. My channel focuses on the performance. I let all the intro stuff be for the other guys because if I did that then every video would be even longer. I have to leave stuff on the floor. I have a lot of ground to cover when I have to talk about data but that’s what my channel’s focus is on. Hope that explains things a bit.

Shawn likes this.
  5. ErinH

thanks. Glad you found it useful!

6. jeffmackwood

jeffmackwood Forum Resident

It does. Thanks Erin. I'm looking forward to watching the rest later today.

Jeff

ErinH likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.