Moody Blues album cover art - they could have used Hipgnosis

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Oatsy, Aug 31, 2022.

1. 7solqs4iago

7solqs4iago Forum Resident

this was like a picture book for me to look at for years 3 to 6 of my life.

[​IMG]

2. davebush

davebush New Test Leper

I think all covers from 1967 to 1981 are very good. Seventh Sojourn is a particular favorite of mine.

caravan70, Vic_1957 and willy like this.
  3. Houston_Music_Fan

Houston_Music_Fan Forum Resident

I don't mind any of the album covers. But, perhaps because the later albums were being released when I was a kid, I like those covers best. The Present is my favorite. I love the original painting it's based on (Daybreak by Maxfield Parrish), and I love the Moodies' take on it, with a spaceship included and, I believe there's even a pterodactyl too lol. I also like the covers of The Other Side of Life and Keys of the Kingdom; they're both so colorful and look great on display.

caravan70, willy and MrJerry1876 like this.
  4. errant_knight

errant_knight Full Time Dreamer

Count me as a fan of their covers through LDV.

When I was first discovering them I looked at the inside photo on Threshold and thought the band members looked like middle aged dentists. But, you know, hip dentists.

And not everything Hipnosis did was great. They even mocked up a baboon's butt as a cover idea for DSOTM. Luckily the band chose the one we all know instead.

wellhamsrus, Man at C&A and willy like this.
  5. MrJerry1876

MrJerry1876 Short Distance Voyager

I really like that one: [​IMG]
    I don't know why they put it out with a different color a few decades back: [​IMG]
    I seem to draw a parallel between Roger Dean's artwork and Progressive Rock. When one has the other, they're both elevated. I think Phil Travers (the guy who did the Moodies' covers) captured that psychedelic feeling as well as Roger Dean, or Hipgnosis for the thread's matter.

Oatsy, Zardok, willy and 1 other person like this.
  6. MikeVielhaber

MikeVielhaber Forum Resident

The new cover features a clearly much older John. That's a weird choice.

willy and MrJerry1876 like this.
  7. terrapinstation

terrapinstation They call him lysosome ‘cause he runs so fast…

I love the covers for Days of Future Passed, On the Threshold of a Dream, and Long Distance Voyager.

Some of the others are pretty cool, too. Just not Keys to the Kingdom or December.

8. Kent Gray

Kent Gray Resident

They're OK. I really liked them at the time but they look a bit dated now.

Nazareth is a band that sold me on the LP covers. I bought Raz-Ama-Naz strictly because the cover looked hot. The music .... eh. OK, I guess.

[​IMG]

Oatsy likes this.
  9. throwupmyhands

throwupmyhands Forum Resident

I never knew December existed until I read your comment.

10. Fischman

Fischman RockMonster, ClassicalMaster, and JazzMeister

Wow.
    Only DOFP among the core seven? I think that is the least attractive of the bunch. I like it, mind you, but I love most of the rest.

They are everything a great album cover should be.... interesting artwork in and of themselves and evocative of the music contained within.

And while in a very different vein, the Long Distance Voyager cover is bloody brilliant.

[​IMG]

11. Norbert Becker

Norbert Becker Senior Member

Hipgnosis is highly overrated, especially for their later covers. The cover of CL+5 in thread 17 follows in this vein.

MrJerry1876 likes this.
  12. StingRay5

StingRay5 Important Impresario

Cover art, when used well, can be an important part of a band's branding. Roger Dean for Yes, Hipgnosis for Pink Floyd, and Philip Travers for the Moody Blues' Core Seven period were all very important to establishing a consistent visual style for those groups' albums. It would not improve any of those bands' albums to go back and replace the cover art with something else. I love the Dean painting on Gentle Giant's Octopus, but in terms of visual branding, the painting and its associated Dean-designed band logo made it seem like someone was trying to make it look like a Yes album.

Hipgnosis was great up until the late '70s. They were really distinctive and there was a lot of variety in their work, so using Hipgnosis didn't automatically make your record look like a Pink Floyd album (e.g. Al Stewart's Past Present & Future, Modern Times, Year of the Cat, and Time Passages -- all Hipgnosis, but nothing like Floyd, and not even particularly similar to each other). But by the end of the '70s it seemed like Hipgnosis was doing more album covers than anyone else, and their work began to seem lazy -- they did the same sort of surrealistic photographic collages over and over, and it just got kind of boring seeing that same visual sensibility on everyone's albums.

Philip Travers wasn't a great artist, but he was good at coming up with images that worked on Moody Blues albums. The one for In Search of the Lost Chord has to be one of the great faux-profound paintings of all time -- foetus on the left representing the start of life, skull on the right representing its end, and in between the meditating figure that seems to blossom upward to become a face in the sun, with multiple pairs of arms outstretched to either side. It seems to mean so much more than it really does that it's actually the perfect representation of a Moody Blues album. I like the Moodies (I own all their albums from The Magnificent Moodies up to The Present), but they were never really deep, just good at seeming to be if you didn't think too much about it, just like this painting.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2022
  13. Safeway 2

Safeway 2 Forum Resident

I like it, although the Yantra on the inside made me a little dizzy if I had too much to drink.
    [​IMG]

14. Safeway 2

Safeway 2 Forum Resident

Did you know there was a lawsuit that forced them to change the original cover of A Question of Balance? Scroll down the page just a touch for the story.
    Album: "A QUESTION OF BALANCE" (1970) - Moody Blues: Traveling Eternity Road (tapatalk.com)

ARK, Oatsy and MadMelMon like this.
  15. Bassist

Bassist Forum Resident

I really like On The Threshold of a Dream (apart from Send Me No Wine) but the Moodies were never all that hip when it came to the visual aesthetics of the more progressive sides of rock music. They were more like the Bee Gees or Hollies but with Psychedelic add-ons. The closest comparison among the Prog community might be Barclay James Harvest but they didn't have the virtuoso showmanship of their peers and you couldn't really see anyone leaving and forming a band like Argent or Greenslade or ELP. The artwork and especially the band promo photos kind of reflected that. They came off more as popular entertainers than rock n rollers. They looked more like young professionals in their weekend-wear. Not a criticism. Just an observation as to where they stood in that 71-75 period when the monsters of progressive music were making their mark.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2022
    caravan70, Timjosephuk and Oatsy like this.
  16. The Bishop

The Bishop Forum Resident

Great post!

StingRay5 likes this.
  17. bob_32_116

bob_32_116 Forum Flaneur

Not all Hipgnosis covers had artwork that worked.
    I have no problem with any of the Moody Blues’ covers, up to and including Long Distance Voyager. Most of them complement the atmosphere of the music very well. Of course after that the music gets a bit iffy, so the cover becomes less relevant. The DOFP cover is a bit of a mess I suppose, but it’s still interesting as a piece of abstract art. The Question of Balance cover is a wonderful piece of psychedelia.

I also like the fact that the Moody Blues covers have their own style. Roger Dean is a great artist, do ‘t get me wrong, but I used to get a bit tired of seeing so many albums looking like Yes albums, with music that was nothing like Yes. Of course I don’t blame him, it was his living and he was perfectly entitled to take any commission.

TheMovieRad and Oatsy like this.
  18. ganma

ganma Senior Member

It could have been worse...
    Guru Guru – Hinten
    [​IMG]

Wild Horse likes this.
  19. RickA

RickA Love you forever Luke, we will be together again

+1 :righton:

20. idleracer

idleracer Forum Resident

:kilroy: This is the only one that I think needed a little more work. The fonts are a bit difficult to read.

[​IMG]

Oatsy and Chemically altered like this.
  21. bob_32_116

bob_32_116 Forum Flaneur

Thanks for that, I never noticed the face before!

caravan70, ARK and thematinggame like this.
  22. Tony Brown

Tony Brown Forum Resident

No surprises that I love their covers... Decca were taking a few liberties with the Yantra, a direct lift from John Woodroofe's (aka Athur Avalon) books Principles of Tantra (that one of the band was reading at that time) but quite possibly a design going back into history.

[​IMG]

I always felt that David Anstey's Day of Future Passed was similar to the Beatles - Collection of Beatles Oldies.

caravan70 and Oatsy like this.
  23. drmoss_ca

drmoss_ca Vinyl Cleaning Fiend

I remember the fuss at the time. Blashford-Snell used to write the odd article for Guns Review (a very English shooting magazine) so I was aware of who he was. I rushed off to my copy of AQOB and there he was, causing the Streisand Effect before it even had a name! My later CD and SACD have the generic character painted in instead.

caravan70 and Oatsy like this.
  24. doity

doity Forum Resident

I thought that the artwork was great up to The Present album. They imparted a sense of mystery about the music and the band. It was their shtick. Yes had Roger Dean, Genesis dabbled with surreal British imagery, and Pink Floyd had Hipgnosis.

McLover likes this.
  25. Seabass

Seabass Old Git

50 years later and I’d never noticed this