Moody Blues - Days of Future Passed Original Mix question

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Gorilla, Sep 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mr_mjb1960

mr_mjb1960 I'm a Tarrytowner 'Til I die!

The Background hamonies are missing as well on the chorus of the remix as well too. Michael Boyce

2. semidetached

semidetached Monkees Mixographist

Right - this is the way I had heard it.

3. dprokopy

dprokopy Senior Member

From our friends at wikipedia (where I mistakenly got the 1978 date - that'll learn me):

4. semidetached

Now that we know that the remix dates earlier, is there any verification that the two DOFP tracks on THIS IS THE MOODY BLUES are NOT the 1973 mixes used on all subsequent DOFP pressings? I must admit, I never did a side-by-side but nothing ever struck me as being different.

On PRELUDE, "Late Lament" is touted as being a remix...

5. dprokopy

dprokopy Senior Member

The This Is "Nights" sounds pretty different to me. I'm reasonably certain it's not the later remix.

6. semidetached

And most likely not the original mix either?

I am pretty sure the original on Time Traveller stuck out at me as being different (this was before I knew about the original mix) - but I am so confused at this point that I don't know if I remember anything about this song correctly. :D

7. tspit74

tspit74 Senior Member

Well, I compared all 3 of my LP's and all 3 are the original mix. The Holland pressing was my favorite until I stumbled on the Japanese King, which now is my favored copy on vinyl.

Japanese King pressing from '73
    Holland pressing from I don't know when. No white border on top.
    RCA record club version (absolutely terrible regardless of mix).

That said, since I'm fairly new to the Moodies, I have nothing against the WG or MFSL cd's. The remix doesn't bother me at all. I do like the clarity of it.

8. This is what I have and it's in NM condition both visually(except for a previos owners stamper name!!) and sonicly

the matrix info is ZAL- 8078 -1w/-1w.....

1/1 at 9 o'clock...

stampers: B(D??) C / B(D??)U

tax stamp "JT" stamped in deadwax both sides

sweet.....but would like to know if there is another Matrix out there that might sound better, but this one kills the USA Deram's I've had over the years for dynamics and clarity.

got lucky one day .....first 7 UK Moody Blues lps found together at one used lp store.......:D

9. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB

There's also, of course, the stereo sans-orchestra mix (commonly available on several best-of's). My fave, except for maybe the mono group-only version (available on the DeLuxe reissue IIRC).

I'm glad this song no longer gets played to death on radio (at least here in Seattle); when I hear it now with fresh ears, the power & beauty of it really moves me. It's great how these simple elements (voices, 12-string Gibson, bass, drums, Mellotron, flute) fuse to make something ineffably lush and evocative; one of the best records of the Sixties, right alongside "A Whiter Shade Of Pale", "God Only Knows", "See Emily Play", "Waterloo Sunset"...

10. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB

...as I am; it's a perennial resident in my personal Top Ten. I assume you're as ready as I am to thrash those people who make snide comments about "those Mantovani strings" between the tunes! ;)

11. mr_mjb1960

And,Don't forget....the Deluxe Edition is the ONLY place you can find "Nights" and its B-Side "Cities" in Mono! (Other than the 45,that is..):righton: Michael Boyce

12. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB

Yeah, baby!

I love that entire period: post John & Justin joining, and pre the recording of Days Of Future Passed; it's also well-documented on the essential "odds & sods" album Prelude.

13. Laservampire

Laservampire Down with this sort of thing

Not the only place! :wave:

"Nights In White Satin" is also in mono on the Rhino British Invasion Vol. 8 disc, in better quality than on the Deluxe Edition :righton:

14. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB

<Cold-hearted orb, that rules the night>

15. mr_mjb1960

..removes the colors from our sights..red is gray and yellow white...but,we know which is right..and,which is an illusion?-Graeme Edge,1967 Michael Boyce

16. Juan Samus

Juan Samus New Member

It's also on that hodge-podge 2-CD "Singles Plus" set. I'm assuming they took it from the Rhino disc.

17. mr_mjb1960

The "Singles +" Set has the Stereo "Time Traveller" Mix For "Cities",the "Best Of" Stereo Mix for "Nights". Michael Boyce

18. dprokopy

dprokopy Senior Member

The This Is mix definitely isn't the original - the segue between the orchestral opening and the band intro is more precise than the original. But I still don't think it's the later remix. The backing vocals on the This Is version are straight-mono, whereas on the later remix they've got some stereo echo added to them. Conversely, the big snare hit before the flute solo has stereo echo on the This Is mix, but it's straight-mono on the later remix.

By the way, listening again, the fidelity on that particular track on This Is is pretty atrocious. Lots of drop-outs, sounds compressed as all get-out as well. :sigh: Not to mention, the cross-fade from "Melancholy Man" goes through the entire intro.

19. dprokopy

dprokopy Senior Member

Oh, and listening to the original mix now (off of Time Traveller). The backing vocals and the snare hit both have stereo echo. So we're definitely dealing with three unique mixes.

20. semidetached

:thumbsup: Thanks, David.

21. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB

The "Nights" on my Singles+ CD is stereo. Flute solo in left channel, etc.

22. mr_mjb1960

And just think....."Days" started out as a test Lp for commercial Phonographs! Michael Boyce

23. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB

The "Deramic Sound System". ;)

("...which in fact was just ordinary stereo." - Graeme Edge, 1989)

24. "Singles Plus" has the single versions of 'Nights' and 'Cities' both in stereo.
    The 'Cities' sounds like a 70's remix, no echo and very trebly
    compared to the original 45.

25. what about the "Nights in White Satin" cut on the Time/Life "Singers and Songwriters" mastered by Dennis Drake?

stereo or mono?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.