Moody Blues In search of the lost chord 50th anniversary

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by t-man 54, Mar 28, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gojikranz

gojikranz Forum Resident

so any chance they go out and play this entire album live like they did with DOFP? the last show was cool but the piped in orchestra kind of made it a weird experience. I imagine this would be a much more difficult prospect to perform live. and I presume they have done nothing but see saw voices in the sky and legend of a mind (before Ray Left) in recent days.

2. Zafu

Zafu Cosmic Muffin

Why oh why is this not listed on Amazon US? Hard for me to believe it's a UK only release, but if it is, I'll order there.

Thank you. -Zafu

Electric Sydney likes this.
  3. Glenn Christense

Glenn Christense Foremost Beatles expert... on my block

Rats, this is a tough one for me. In Search Of the Lost Chord is one of my favorite albums. Period.
    I have the original album, the original CD, the MFSL CD, some of the tracks on the Time Traveller set and the Deluxe reissue set from a few years ago. I don't do 5.1 though so it's questionable to me whether the difference mix choices are worth the chuck of change for me.

It's a good problem to have though. :D

I'm glad it's going to be available.

One of my fondest memories is seeing the Moody Blues in a club in October 1968, so their setlist was In Search of the Lost Chord heavy because the album had only been released around three months previously.

4. David R. Modny

David R. Modny Гордий українець-американець

I'm glad that they included Gimme A Little Somethin' in this go-around vs. the previous DE. Seemed like a simple oversight then, in relation to all of the other "+5" tracks making the cut in that series.

NumberEight and factory44 like this.
  5. muffmasterh

muffmasterh Forum Resident

6. Dylancat

Dylancat Forum Resident

Have some of those releases mentioned..
    But this release, to me, will be a must.
    Hasn’t shown up on US Amazon yet.

Glenn Christense likes this.
  7. Glenn Christense

Glenn Christense Foremost Beatles expert... on my block

I understand. I hosted the Moody Blues album by album thread and remember you posted a lot in it so I know you're a major fan also.

I'll probably end up picking this up. but just because I can't really look at a In Search Of the Lost Chord deluxe without pulling the trigger. :shake: :D

If I had to create a personal top ten all time favorite albums list and could only choose one album per artist, In Search of the Lost Chord would probably be number three or four on that list. It was one of those mind blowing albums for me when it was released.

8. Dylancat

Dylancat Forum Resident

Amen

Glenn Christense likes this.
  9. roman.p

roman.p Forum Resident

No chance.

10. Zafu

Zafu Cosmic Muffin

I don't get why Amazon US isn't showing this yet. If I order from UK, can I safely assume the DVD's will play in USA region?

Thank you. -Zafu

11. smiley69

smiley69 Forum Resident

The new 5.1 mix has been made by Jakko Jakszyk.
    It is written on the sleeve for the DVD on the picture of the boxset (on amazon website). Look closely !

JediJoker and FVDnz like this.
  12. edgwareman

edgwareman Forum Resident

And unless my eyes are deceiving me it says DVD-Audio on the label and DVD sleeve.

13. JediJoker

JediJoker Audio Engineer/Enthusiast

I very much doubt that this will be an actual DVD-A. It's more likely an audio DVD-V. The DVD-A logo has been misused lately.

zobalob likes this.
  14. Joe Shlabotnik

Joe Shlabotnik Formerly dickvin

Great news on the 5.1 & looks to be a nice package. I keep hoping for a Blue Jays reissue with 5.1 and the '75 Lancaster University concert from the box set included. The Quad mix on Blue Jays is awesome.

15. Please excuse my ignorance on this, what makes the '75 Lancaster University concert so special?

Was it the only one recorded on the tour?

I was part of the team that promoted them at Bristol University in November of that year.

I was thrilled when I discovered that Mel Galley (of Trapeze) was an additional guitarist.

It was a very special evening.

Best Wishes,
    David

zobalob and FVDnz like this.
  16. Octavian

Octavian Forum Resident

I don’t want to look to far ahead of course but with a 50th Anniversary of Days of Future Passed and now this set, they must be planning a release for each of the Magnificent Seven?

17. Dylancat

Dylancat Forum Resident

A 50th anniversary for “Threshold of a Dream”? and then
    “Children’s”?
    Next year?
    That’s cool.

FVDnz and Octavian like this.
  18. Dylancat

Dylancat Forum Resident

Still not on US Amazon..
    Prob. pop up in a few weeks

Zafu likes this.
  19. Joe Shlabotnik

Joe Shlabotnik Formerly dickvin

It's the only known professionally recorded show of the tour. I love the Blue Jays album. It's right up there with the "Classic" 7 IMO. That's cool you were part of the promotion team at Bristol. I'd always wished that they'd brought that tour to America. What are your memories of the concert ?

adriatikfan likes this.
  20. The concert was put on in 'The Anson Rooms' and we were at capacity. I recall talking to one of the full-time roadcrew that there had been a deliberate decision made to take the tour mostly (exclusively??) to University Venues rather than theatres as the band's management was concerned they might be losing that particular market and they wanted to refresh their 'profile'. So, it was a sell-out and a tight squeeze, because although the venues had been 'scaled back' nothing else seemed to have been.

We spent the day before the concert building an extension to the stage we had and the grand piano had to be moved out.

The speakers and stage equipment were more akin to what we saw at Bristol St. George's Hall. when we helped with concerts there.

But the thing that caused us most difficulties was the sound/mixing desk - not only was it a big set-up but it was raised up above floor level quite a bit, so there was 'dead space' behind with a very restricted view ... and a capacity audience. And we hadn't been warned in advance that it would require so much space.

There were some complaints that fewer tickets should have been sold and that maybe it should have been held in a different venue.

I recall there being quite a few people in the audience who didn't look as though they were students but ... that was just an impression.

No idea any more of what the setlist might have been, although I do recall being surprised at how much Moodies' material was included in the show, given how much there had been in the press over a reasonable period of time at how Justin and John wanted a separate identity for this 'project'

The show was very well received - at the end of the evening, the full-time roadcrew and the band were very relaxed and seemed very pleased with how things had gone.

And ... Mel Galley (now sadly deceased) was in the band. Guitarist from Trapeze ( a home-town band), whose albums I still love. So that was an added level of interest for me personally.

Best Wishes,
    David

21. stillrockin

stillrockin Forum Resident

Will this be us on the road to a further set of deluxe editions of all the albums with newly created 5.1 mixes?

22. Tom Favata

Tom Favata tbuick6

It says 96/24 for the 5.1 mix. Has to be DVD-A as I don’t believe DVD-V can handle that resolution.

23. Simon A

Simon A Arrr!

Not 96/24 MLP but they do support 96/24 DTS, which I think/hope this is what we'll be getting

zobalob and JediJoker like this.
  24. JediJoker

JediJoker Audio Engineer/Enthusiast

I expect exactly this, like we got with last year's DoFP deluxe.

zobalob likes this.
  25. Dylancat

Dylancat Forum Resident

On US Amazon
    Around 60 bucks

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.