More age ridiculousness

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by James Slattery, May 22, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Maybe others will disagree, but I didn't think the age difference seemed that obvious - maybe because we already had stretched credulity to accept 38-year-old Stewart as a young man in some of those scenes.

Since we swallowed that concept, we then didn't feel bothered when we saw JS with the younger DR.

Besides, I think DR looked older than her actual age in the movie. She's 25 in real life but passes for older.

And I don't mean that in a bad way - she was beautiful in "IAWL".

But DR always came across as more mature than her years, and JS remained boyish, so the 2 match...

2. eric777

eric777 Astral Projectionist

I guess to many, it didn’t seem obvious. To me, James Stewart looked even older then he actually was. Donna Reed looked older as well but nowhere near as old as James Stewart. I still think they had great chemistry together so I guess that’s more important.

alexpop and Oatsdad like this.
  3. NaturalD

NaturalD The King of Pop

If I remember it right, Braveheart has this too. Early scenes with a young boy and girl, then cut to the time of the action and Mel Gibson with his face full of lines is with a young babe.

4. neo123

neo123 Senior Member

You just got to go with the flow with regards to age differences and time periods on TV shows (and some movies.)

For example, I like the show The Goldbergs. It takes place in the '80s and every show starts out with the same narration by the main character "It's 1980-something......" but doesn't tell you the exact year due to incosistencies in the timeline with respect to past episodes and the ages of the characters. But the timeline is all over the place from week to week. By using memory, history and references, you can figure out a particular story in one episode takes place in 1982 and then the next week's episode, it could be 1989. Yet the characters are the same age.

The Goldbergs' spinoff Schooled which, by the way, just got cancelled, was guilty of the same thing but set in the '90s.

5. sons of nothing

sons of nothing Forum Resident

TV makes men look 10 years older?

John B Good likes this.
  6. dmiller458

dmiller458 Forum Resident

Sergeant York (1941)
    Gary Cooper was 40, his love interest Joan Leslie was 16.

7. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Stewart was no spring chicken in Vertigo, his character had a fetish and terribly obsessed.

eric777 likes this.
  8. bekayne

bekayne Senior Member

[​IMG]

Dudley Morris likes this.
  9. alexpop

Past :
    Maybe because women seemed to age very quickly they had to use young women as love interests for men of advancing years in the movies in the 1940s / 1950s. Usually the men wore wigs hairpieces.

eric777 likes this.
  10. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

Your comment was even more apt than intended!

alexpop likes this.
  11. alexpop

Nature of the thread theme I guess.

All Down The Line likes this.
  12. alexpop

Bogart was a few years older than Bacall.:)

13. eric777

eric777 Astral Projectionist

This could be true. I personally think it was just how they viewed things at the time. They wanted an older and more mature looking male to pair off with a young and pretty female.

alexpop likes this.
  14. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Ha ha - good one!

In the early scenes, the kid who plays William was 11 during the shoot, and the girl who plays Murron was 6.

Once they "grow up", Gibson was 38 and Catherine McCormack was 22! :yikes:

The real William Wallace was supposedly 35 when he died, so Mel wasn't far off for the late parts of the movie.

I remember my Dad and I argued about Mel's age when the movie came out, though. Dad thought Gibson was around 50!

In those days before the Internet had everything you wanted, I had to show him a magazine interview from the era to prove him wrong! :D

15. Sneaky Pete

Sneaky Pete Flat the 5 and That’s No Jive

Wow I never knew that, it is not commonly known. I had a great teacher in art school who had been brought before Joe McCarthy and the HUAC because he was a Communist for a short time during the depression. Of course he had gone on to serve with honors during WWII but it was all about political theater. Tragic

16. Sneaky Pete

Sneaky Pete Flat the 5 and That’s No Jive

It is for the comic effect, he is a buffoon. Likewise the smart, slim, attractive wife also adds comedic contrast.

It is comedy, I would only think it was anti-male if every man was shown to be an imbecile or a tyrant, and all the women were portrayed as Saints.

Humor requires exaggeration. Incidentally Ralph is beloved and are Homer, Fred Flintstone, Doug Hefernon, and even Peter Griffin. Loveable losers.

BeatleJWOL and John B Good like this.
  17. alexpop

Good role models for older single males in society.

eric777 likes this.
  18. hbbfam

hbbfam Forum Resident

Rodney Dangerfield had a routine "how often do you see a fat, ugly, bald guy with a beautiful girl? You never see that."
    Tried to find the bit on youtube.

O Don Piano likes this.
  19. rene smalldridge

rene smalldridge Senior Member

From reading the comments.........I would never recommend the film "Harold And Maude" to any of you chaps.

20. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

I dig it!

21. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

Or Fred and Wilma Flintstone.

And how did Barney score a babe like Betty anyway?

[​IMG]

ricks and Sneaky Pete like this.
  22. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader

Well...in the last couple of seasons she had put on quite a bit of weight.

23. Efus

Efus Senior Member

Face it, Don Knotts knew he was a sex bomb....

Sneaky Pete likes this.
  24. Bob_in_OKC

Bob_in_OKC Forum Resident

Stockard Channing was in her 30s when playing a high school student in Grease.

[​IMG]

25. James Slattery

James Slattery Forum Resident Thread Starter

Like I don't understand why its so hard to write the word people.

Michael likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.