More age ridiculousness

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by James Slattery, May 22, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

STOP IT! ah ha ha ...Turn off your mind, relax
    [​IMG]

Ignatius likes this.
  2. DaveinMA

DaveinMA Some guy

The man is depicted by a guy who's an Executive Producer.

3. DaveinMA

DaveinMA Some guy

I don't understand why it's so hard to get all the apostrophes right.
    :)

Strat-Mangler likes this.
  4. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

Or why a sentence shouldn't start with the word "Like" for no good reason.

5. smilin ed

smilin ed Senior Member

Have you seen Tell No One? Well, first of all, you should, but secondly, the main character played by Francois Cluzet (born 1955) is married to Margot, played by Marie Josee Croze, who has been his sweetheart since childhood. Croze was born in 1970!

6. Grand_Ennui

Grand_Ennui Forum Resident

And she looked her age too... She was about as believable as a high schooler as 33/34 year old Gary Busey was playing a 21-22 year old Buddy Holly (but that's really a thread onto itself).

7. JozefK

JozefK Forum Resident

Ah for the good old days when Hollywood cast mature men instead of boys...

I've recently watched a few episodes of The Tall Man, a western series about Pat Garrett & Billy The Kid. Yes, the historical Billy is absurdly whitewashed, but that's not what I want to talk about here.

This show may be the over-age champ. Barry Nelson plays Garrett, who was around 30 when the show is set. Nelson was 48 when the show started.

Clu Gulager, maybe the twitchiest actor in H'wood history (his style of constantly gesticulating doesn't work well on TV at all), plays the 20 year old Billy. Gulager was 32. Garrett's occasional warnings to "The Kid" that he's too young to drink only add to the silliness.

But the real lulu is the character of John Tunstall, the English rancher who hired and befriended Billy. He was 24 when he was killed. He is played by Murray Matheson, who was 49 and comes across as even older. Tunstall may be the most over-aged character in H'wood history: Matheson, 50 yr old Terence Stamp in Young Guns, and Colin Keith-Johnston, who was in his 60s when he played John Tunstall in The Left Handed Gun.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Murray Matheson in 1952, eight years before he played John Tunstall on The Tall Man.

[​IMG]

John Tunstall

[​IMG]

8. Grand_Ennui

^^^ Those are some doozies alright ^^^

How about "Bonanza", with Lorne Greene playing a father to Pernell Roberts and Dan Blocker, whom IIRC, he was really only about 13 years older than they were?

But, I like "Bonanza" so I can go along with the premise/illusion of Lorne being old enough to be their father.

9. JozefK

JozefK Forum Resident

Richard Attenborough (25) as a 14 year old in The Guinea Pig (1948)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. pig bodine

pig bodine God’s Consolation Prize

Michael J Pollard was 32 as Billy The Kid in the underrated Dirty Little Billy, though he looked much younger.

11. JozefK

JozefK Forum Resident

I don't know how old Ben Cartwright was supposed to be when the show started. But supposedly Adam was supposed to be 29, Hoss 25, and Joe 19. So if Ben is supposed to be 50 (Greene was 44 and can easily pass as older) it wouldn't be too outrageous.

The problem is Pernell Roberts was 31 and looks at least five years older than that (his rug doesn't help), and I'm being charitable. Jay Leno had a line "What the hell is it with Bonanza?? Lorne Greene has a son who's older than he is".

Even though Dan Blocker made the show IMHO, he also comes across as rather mature, though it doesn't seem quite as pronounced as Roberts.

I've read that Dusseldorf-born John Ericson, who just died a few weeks ago, was considered for Adam but his agent demanded too much money. Ericson was 33, though he looked younger than Roberts.

Robert Fuller was a serious contender for 19 yr old Joe. He was 26.

If you really want to see some over-age casting, watch the Leslie Howard Romeo and Juliet sometime. No callow youth, he.

Grand_Ennui likes this.
  12. Cookie!

Cookie! Forum Resident

Yeah, but there are worse things she could do.

Grand_Ennui likes this.
  13. JohnB

JohnB Senior Member

In sort of a reverse example of the OP's post there was an Andy episode where Barney courts Miss Rosemary, who (to me anyway) looked old enough to be Barney's mother. The actress, Amzie Strickland, was actually only 5 years older than Don Knotts though in real life.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. Solitaire1

Solitaire1 Carpenters Fan

If anime is allowed, here's a video with some characters who don't look anything like their real age:

NOTE: NSFW

15. swandown

swandown Under Assistant West Coast Forum Resident

Okay, I had to look it up. Barney's love interest was played by Diahn Williams. When the episode was filmed (1967), she was 23 years old and Knotts was 42.

[​IMG]

16. rockerreds

rockerreds Senior Member

The joke was a 52 year old father and 3 49 year old sons.

DaveySR likes this.
  17. James Slattery

James Slattery Forum Resident Thread Starter

I guess there previous relationship must have involved him bouncing her on his lap when she was 8 and he was 27!

18. James Slattery

James Slattery Forum Resident Thread Starter

What about Beaver's friend, Larry Mondello, whose mother, played by Madge Blake, who was in her sixties. Either Larry was adopted or she was really his grandmother!

James RD likes this.
  19. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

Michael Tucci, who played Sonny, looked even less believable as a teenager (and was also in his 30s!)

Michael Tucci

Grand_Ennui likes this.
  20. Grand_Ennui

I think that maybe we're supposed to believe she had him late in life.

On M*A*S*H, Radar's parents were quite old (as far as having kids goes) when they had him... There was a joke on the show where Radar says something like "My parents were old when they had me. The first time we played peek-a-boo, my father had a stroke" or words to that effect.

21. Big Jimbo

Big Jimbo Forum Resident

In the movie “Ragtime” 81 year old James Cagney played New York Police Commissioner Rhinelander Waldo (why don’t parents name their children Rhinelander anymore?). In real life, Waldo was 32 at the time.

22. Ignatius

Ignatius Forum Resident

That reminds of a bit from the Tin Men movie. "They get along because they're all the same age."

23. JozefK

JozefK Forum Resident

Oops

It wasn't Barry Nelson...

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.