More Ebay stupidity

Discussion in 'Third Party Sales & Auctions' started by Led9, Aug 23, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

I do feel sorry for the honest sellers that will suffer at the hands of this policy but on the other having been ripped off many times by sellers who cannot grade I do welcome this change as I've suffered at the hands of sellers who cannot grade more than enough times (this was before a member on here explained how to get return postage via the seller/ebay). My only concern is that this will turn off even more US sellers from selling outside of the US which would then be a problem for me.

Revolver and rischa like this.
  2. Led9

Led9 Forum Resident Thread Starter

They can do what they want for domestic sales, but overseas should be negotiated between the two parties. If an overseas buyers wants it shipped by the cheapest untrackable method and agrees all the seller has to do is show proof of shipment then that's the way it should be. Ebay should keep their nose out of it. If the buyer wants to pay cheap shipping and take a chance on it being lost/damaged then that should be the buyer's prerogative.

scobb and muffmasterh like this.
  3. boyjohn

boyjohn Senior Member

you can can send media mail with tracking and i think the tracking part is less than 50 cents

4. RonW

RonW Forum Resident

Because when I ask important questions about an item they either are not answered at all or I get "Work Good" or "can't test it" or "It worked last I Checked" or "my friend said" or they skip over the most important questions. It's like trying to talk to a dolphin. They base their prices on what the last one sold for and have no knowledge otherwise. Most important the shill bidding is way out of hand. I was cancelling bids often because of it. I HATE shill bidders and sellers who use other accounts to drive an auction.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2014
  5. rischa

rischa Forum Resident

This isn't true at all. I buy a lot of albums on ebay, but have only left negative feedback twice. In both instances the seller was being flagrantly deceitful, for which I left honest, professional feedback as a service to other buyers (this is the point of feedback, no?). In both cases, the seller was able to have ebay remove my written feedback and rating from their records. So yeah, I put zero stock in seller ratings (validated, I think, by the fact that almost every seller I purchase from has a 100% rating--what a joke). That said, I mostly have good or great experiences buying on ebay, so it's not a problem.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2014
  6. Colin M

Colin M Forum Resident

Yeah! Free needledrops. :nauga:

7. Defdum&blind

Defdum&blind Forum Resident

An extra $3,000 from you and feeBay now collects 4% of the postage from the seller for an extra $120 for doing nothing extra. This policy was introduced because of fee (commission) avoidance when a seller would have a buying price of $1.00 and $50.00 for shipping. Now the honest sellers have to pay for this practice. Believe me, I know!

8. muffmasterh

muffmasterh Forum Resident

No but then you could have asked for your return costs to be covered, if the seller then refuses then you are more than entitled to rightly bad fb his a**

9. muffmasterh

in case of spurious fb you can appeal to ebay, it is not guaranteed successful but it can be done, ebay will look at the sellers history and the buyers history and make a judgement on their bona fides....

10. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

A decent seller will always pay for return shipping of an item that is not as described in a manner that is the seller's fault, e.g. mis-graded, wrong item, etc.

However, buyer's remorse runs rampant on eBay, and you can be sure that these people, as well outright con artists, will take full advantage of the new power they have.

"The item you sold me is defective...but I'll keep it if you give me a discount equal to just a little less than it will cost for you to ship it back..."

With this change, pretty much the last reason to sell most non-rare stuff on Amazon just went up in smoke.

muffmasterh likes this.
  11. Led9

For domestic shipping yes. Most of the griping here is about sellers getting hosed for expensive overseas shipping.

12. muffmasterh

and there is a very easy solution to this too, ebay should have a cheaper buyers risk postage option, if the buyer specifically selects to take the risk of the cheaper untracked mail option all the seller need provide is proof of posting. That way everybody is happy.

scobb likes this.
  13. RonW

RonW Forum Resident

It's not, I'm just sayin they have issues in general.

14. boyjohn

boyjohn Senior Member

oh ok, i usually only ship domestic....ebay did send me something recently about a new system where you ship to a domestic hub, and then they take care of the international part. you are only responsible for the domestic part of the shipment. not sure when they are rolling that out, or for which exact categories.

15. Led9

SCENARIO A: Dishonest overseas Buyer X looking for a free LP finds his seller has sent him the LP by a non-fully trackable method (even though he states in his auction he will not be responsible for lost items). Buyer says he never received it. Ebay refunds his money and shipping from seller's account. Result: free LP and shipping for Buyer X. Seller is out $18 shipping and value of the LP.

SCENARIO B: Buyer finds seller used the much more expensive trackable method. Buyer X claims the LP is not as described and ships it back. Result: Buyer X has chanced nothing loses no money. Seller is out $40-60.

What's wrong with this picture?

16. muffmasterh

usually if you just say item was not as described on the neg fb ehay will not often remove that as it is item specific, but when it gets more messy like " avoid this seller he is a rip off merchant " etc etc then thats when they might consider removing it as it's got personal.....

17. Mike in OR

Mike in OR Through Middle-earth...onto Heart of The Sunrise

A few years ago I used to get some of the most smoking deals overseas, especially from the U.K., some of the worst being from Japan. But now it is rare that I receive an LP as described. I quit buying from eBay internationally almost two years ago. Such a shame.

18. ricks

ricks Senior Member

No offense folks but this thread firmly belong in marketplace not in Music and had I not been looking to get to 5000 in order to change the text under my user name i would not have mentioned it. 119 to go

scobb likes this.
  19. muffmasterh

A ) thus has happened to me very early on, indeed there was one scenario where i was able to prove the buyer was attempting to defraud me ( defraud is the word for this ) but since then everything i send is tracked !

B) in this instance the seller is probably screwed, however a call to ebay may be useful as if the buyer has a history a multiple returns ebay might smell a rat especially as in such circumstances a case will have had to be opened for the return and the seller can upgrade the status of the case to the resolution team to decide. Sure they do favour the buyer at all times but in cases where the buyer has form they might declare for the seller, it does happen.

20. Schoolmaster Bones

Schoolmaster Bones Poe's Lawyer

Same here. Can't imagine why anyone would prefer to sell to overseas buyers.

Jimmy B. and Djoel like this.
  21. muffmasterh

as a buyer it is a horrendous option, if you are a buyer you should avoid it, ebay will stick you for all sorts of taxes & duties which they may not even have to end up paying. to all buyers and sellers AVOID OPTING INTO THIS OPTION

22. rischa

rischa Forum Resident

Understandable--but while my feedback was very specific, it was never personal. I'm pretty keen on this new system because it will essential render seller ratings moot by removing most of the risk for the buyer. I appreciate that ebay is implementing a system that rewards honest buyers like myself, and think it's a mistake to operate on a policy that's a reaction to the small percentage of buyers who are dishonest.

23. muffmasterh

i can see both sides, but the concern is that it will encourage more buyers to be dishonest, but at the same time sellers should pay for the return costs if they have screwed up, like i say i always do not least because i value my feedback too much.....

rischa likes this.
  24. Mr Bass

Mr Bass Chevelle Ma Belle

It is an option to restrict sales to buyers who have considerable feedback numbers and don't have significant negative feedback. Ebay keeps track of returns etc. I think what this does is make it imperative to have as much documentation as possible including pictures that one can show to Ebay in a dispute. In practice I think this favors the businesses over the occasional sellers because the former can absorb the occasional loss better and Ebay will support them more quickly.

25. muffmasterh

very hard in case of one word against another ebay will always favour the buyer, and one other issue, for several years now sellers have not been allowed by ebay to give buyers bad feedback......

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.