More music industry related documentaries?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Phil Thien, May 2, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Phil Thien

Phil Thien Forum Resident Thread Starter

In the current thread on the relaunch of Tower Records, someone mentioned the documentary covering the firm's rise and fall (All Things Must Pass), and we watched it last night and thoroughly enjoyed it.

If anyone can share the names of other documentaries not so much about bands but more about the industry, I'd appreciate it.

2. Carrman

Carrman Forum Resident

Two of my favorites are Dig! and Hype.

While they focus on certain bands, they are both a great look into how the industry works in a way.

Also, The Wrecking Crew, a great look at how records are really made.

3. Solitaire1

Solitaire1 Carpenters Fan

I Need That Record! - The Death (Or Possible Survival) Of The Independent Record Store

It covers how the number of independent record stores have dwindled, going into the various issues involved. These include the price of CDs, shifts in technology, and radio focusing on a limited playlist. It features interviews with individuals involved in the Music Business and with record stores.

DigMyGroove likes this.
  4. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

5. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

Standing in the Shadows of Motown! It covers the business, the music, the stars, the history. If you haven't seen it yr in for a treat!

tumbleweed likes this.
  6. The Mike Myers-directed Supermensch: The Legend Of Shep Gordon is perhaps the only documentary about a rock manager (mainly known for managing Alice Cooper).

7. Danny Says about legendary A & R man Danny Fields, who also managed the Ramones

Dudley Morris likes this.
  8. Mayor Of Sunset Strip, about Rodney Bingenheimer, dj and scenester

Dudley Morris and Chris DeVoe like this.
  9. Eleanora's Alchemy

Eleanora's Alchemy Forum Cryptid

Downloaded (2013)

A fascinating documentary film, detailing the evolution of digital media sharing on the Internet and controversial filesharing software, specifically Napster,
    and the immense impact it had on the music industry which at that time was at it's peak.

Here's a short preview...

10. Also a rather depressing case study of...I don’t know if you’d call it Peter Pan syndrome, but something like that.

rod likes this.
  11. Maritimer

Maritimer Forum Resident

I stumbled across this TV series today. I have never seen it nor heard of it. Its not available on Amazon.ca but I did find it on .com for over $100 USD.
    Have any of you seen it ? Is it any good and worth $100 ?

All You Need Is Love: The Story of Popular Music is the name of a 17-part television documentary series on the history of modern pop music directed by Tony Palmer, originally broadcast worldwide between 1976 and 1980.
    The series covers some of the many different genres that have fallen under the "pop" label between the mid-19th century and 1976, including folk, ragtime, Tin Pan Alley, vaudeville and music hall, musical theatre, country, swing, jazz, blues, R&B, rock 'n' roll and others.
    Executive producer: Richard Pilbrow
    No. of episodes: 17
    No. of seasons: 1
    Original release: February 12 –, June 4, 1977

All You Need Is Love (TV Series 1977– ) - IMDb

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.