More Rory Gallagher reissues coming in Summer 2013

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Andrew Smith, Jan 29, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Andrew Smith

Andrew Smith Senior Member Thread Starter

A bit strange that a 2013 reissue of Defender is not listed on Amazon UK yet?

2. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

Good observation, I just figured it was coming out eventually, didn't even ask why it wasn't listed yet. I assume it will be out at some point but I dunno.

3. ranasakawa

ranasakawa Forum Resident

Can you ask Daniel if there will be re-mixes/re-masters of the Taste CDs and if there will be a DVD of Taste ?

Thanks

4. Andrew Smith

I think there is a possibility that Amazon UK may have made a mistake regarding Defender. They've got an issue of Defender listed as "Remastered" in brackets, and apparently was released in September 2012 (around a year before these new ones are released). Maybe they got the dates wrong by a year? It also says that it is a release under Sony Music CMG, which is what it says for the two confirmed 2013 releases (Stage Struck and Fresh Evidence). Also, the only editions of Stage Struck and Fresh Evidence listed on Amazon UK as "Remastered" are the 2013 editions. Like I said, the supposed 2012 edition of Defender is the only edition of Defender listed as "Remastered" as well.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Defender-Remastered-Rory-Gallagher/dp/B008KVCT7I/ref=sr_1_2?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1377813875&sr=1-2&keywords=defender rory gallagher

Last edited: Aug 29, 2013
  5. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

I already did - see above. They do not have the rights to work on the Taste releases, they are owned by Polydor/Universal. So far nothing has been worked out to allow this. We can only hope that changes at some point.

6. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

Also, as far as Taste DVD goes, although I did not ask specifically about this lately, nothing is in the works that I know of. Years ago someone involved with Rory's estate tried to get Isle of Wight film footage from the owner but were unable to, although I may be misremembering/confusing it with another artist.

7. ranasakawa

Thanks slipkid

Sorry I missed your earlier post. Rory's work with Taste is my favourite. Really hope they do what it deserves.

8. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

No worries. I jump in on threads late too, don't always have time to read what came earlier. I didn't mean to sound like a bitch about it but it probably came off that way. Shoulda put an emitocon thingee in there :cheers:

9. ranasakawa

No worries. Anyone who loves Rory must be a good guy!

10. Andrew Smith

So, has anyone picked up these three new reissues yet, and if so what do you make of them? I much prefer the new front cover to Stage Struck than the one on the 1999 remaster. I haven't brought any of them yet, but have downloaded a few tracks on Amazon UK just to see what they sound like. They aren't so loud as the previous 1999 remasters, which should please a lot of people, although you can tell it's the same original mix. This album wasn't remixed in 1999 like the majority of his albums were.

11. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

I didn't get my copies yet.

Is the "new" SS cover art back to how it was on the original LP?

12. Andrew Smith

I had to check on eBay to see what front cover art was used for the original vinyl release, and yes, they have used the original artwork that was used on the original vinyl front cover. I don't know about the back cover as I don't know what it looked like originally on the vinyl. This link will show you the front and back cover of the new 2013 version. Look in the top left hand corner and you can click on both the front and back cover, and by doing this it will blow them up a lot bigger...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Stage-Struck-Live-Remastered-Gallagher/dp/B00E6G20JI/ref=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1379630960&sr=1-1&keywords=stage struck rory gallagher

Last edited: Sep 19, 2013
  13. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

Thanks. Yeah, that is what I remember the front cover looking like back in the day. I don't recall what the back or the inside LP jacket looked like though (I don't have my vinyl anymore).

14. Andrew Smith

The photos that you took are probably in the CD booklet I guess.

15. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

I guess. Maybe even the tray, under the cd? (If it is a clear thing)? I don't know. I'm curious to see which ones they chose. I hope one is my avatar, it's my favorite photo I ever took. Incredible luck capturing both Gerry & Rory like that in the frame.

16. Andrew Smith

They were all extremely great photos from what I can remember. I thought that you would've been told which ones they were going to use prior to the release?

17. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

I just gave 'em all of 'em, said use whatever you like and left it at that, Daniel didn't specify which ones they decided on. Kind of cool in a way that I will be surprised when I open it up, see what is in there as I look at each page with no idea of what to expect.

Very different from a Wishbone Ash CD where I designed all the artwork myself (using another fan's photos & photoshoping in a "Warrior" on one page) where I saw it all take shape from initial ideas (my own) to the final fruition - then realized I screwed something up but it was too late to change it!

18. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

Just got the 3 new releases in the mail today.

Stage Struck has a bonus track not on the previous releases - Hell Cat. At least I don't recall that being on the others anyway. I didn't realize it was going to have an unreleased track.

There are a lot of cool photographs in the booklet I've not seen before. They only used four of mine (oh well). Still very cool. One is my avatar.

19. Andrew Smith

Four is a lot for a CD booklet. I doubt that the pictures in the booklet were taken all by one person. The photos were probably taken by all different photographers. A studio version of Hell Cat can be found as a bonus track on the Top Priority. I didn't know either about the new extra bonus track on Stage Struck.

20. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

Not when they are the size of a postage stamp. :rolleyes:

The booklet has about 25-30 photos in it (some tiny, some full page etc).

Three people got photo credits. Myself, Ross Halfin, and Patrick Jones. I know who RH is of course, but not PJ. Maybe PJ is another fan like me who donated photos? I dunno. No matter, cool stuff. I'm honored that they used anything I shot. Never would have thought that all those years ago when I took 'em that they'd wind up in an album.

rjstauber likes this.
  21. I just got those 3 new releases. Will have to listen tonight to do some comparisons.

Meanwhile, I post some info for those who are interested.

Code:
    foobar2000 1.1.10 / Dynamic Range Meter 1.1.1
    log date: 2013-10-05 18:58:05
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Analyzed: Rory Gallagher / Stage Struck (2013 Remaster by Andy Pearce)
    DR  Peak  RMS  Duration Track
    DR11  -0.30 dB  -11.94 dB  4:01 01-Shin Kicker
    DR11  -0.30 dB  -11.46 dB  4:28 02-Wayward Child
    DR11  -0.30 dB  -11.90 dB  4:12 03-Brute Force And Ignorance
    DR10  -0.30 dB  -11.31 dB  6:06 04-Moonchild
    DR11  -0.30 dB  -11.87 dB  4:38 05-Hellcat
    DR12  -0.69 dB  -14.69 dB  6:39 06-Bad Penny
    DR12  -0.33 dB  -13.25 dB  5:03 07-Keychain
    DR11  -0.42 dB  -12.41 dB  5:57 08-Follow Me
    DR12  -0.30 dB  -13.00 dB  4:41 09-Bought And Sold
    DR11  -0.30 dB  -11.84 dB  5:35 10-The Last Of The Independents
    DR11  -0.30 dB  -12.41 dB  5:06 11-Shadow Play
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Number of tracks:  11
    Official DR value: DR11
    Samplerate:  44100 Hz
    Channels:  2
    Bits per sample:  16
    Bitrate:  1411 kbps
    Codec:  CDDA
    ===========================================================================

22. So cool that they used some of your pictures for this release, even if they are small. You should be proud of that.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2013
  23. Here's the info for the other two new remasters:

Code:
    log date: 2013-10-05 19:51:01
    Analyzed: Rory Gallagher / Fresh Evidence (2013 Remaster by Andy Pearce)
    DR10  -0.30 dB  -11.97 dB  5:40 01-Kid Gloves
    DR10  -0.51 dB  -12.15 dB  3:43 02-The King Of Zydeco
    DR10  -0.65 dB  -12.90 dB  4:14 03-Middle Name
    DR11  -0.46 dB  -12.93 dB  4:07 04-Alexis
    DR17  -2.46 dB  -23.79 dB  5:08 05-Empire State Express
    DR11  -0.30 dB  -13.22 dB  8:00 06-Ghost Blues
    DR10  -0.30 dB  -12.15 dB  5:09 07-Heaven's Gate
    DR10  -0.30 dB  -11.92 dB  2:22 08-The Loop
    DR10  -0.30 dB  -12.12 dB  5:10 09-Walkin' Wounded
    DR10  -0.30 dB  -11.15 dB  3:39 10-Slumming Angel
    DR11  -0.30 dB  -13.60 dB  4:30 11-Never Asked You For Nothing
    DR10  -0.46 dB  -12.08 dB  3:28 12-Bowed Not Broken
    Number of tracks:  12
    Code:
    log date: 2013-10-05 19:30:03
    Analyzed: Rory Gallagher / Defender (2013 Andy Pearce Remaster)
    DR10  -0.30 dB  -11.86 dB  4:49 01-Kickback City
    DR12  -0.30 dB  -13.85 dB  4:27 02-Loneshark Blues
    DR10  -0.76 dB  -12.33 dB  4:36 03-Continental Op
    DR11  -0.71 dB  -13.02 dB  4:58 04-I Ain't No Saint
    DR10  -0.56 dB  -12.31 dB  4:39 05-Failsafe Day
    DR10  -0.71 dB  -11.84 dB  5:31 06-Road To Hell
    DR10  -0.56 dB  -11.68 dB  4:07 07-Doing Time
    DR10  -0.56 dB  -11.69 dB  4:47 08-Smear Campaign
    DR11  -0.76 dB  -12.59 dB  3:35 09-Don't Start Me Talkin'
    DR13  -0.71 dB  -16.92 dB  5:13 10-Seven Days
    DR11  -0.56 dB  -13.09 dB  4:53 11-Seems To Me
    DR11  -0.46 dB  -12.32 dB  4:26 12-No Peace For The Wicked
    Number of tracks:  12

24. I am listening to "Fresh Evidence" and like how the new remaster sounds. Nice EQ. The original CD was a bit thin sounding, the 1999 remaster was much fuller sounding but maybe a tad bloated in the bass department and also a tad loud. This new remaster falls somewhere in between and is very enjoyable. I think this will be my new preferred CD version for "Fresh Evidence".

By the way, I think "Fresh Evidence" is a great album musically also. A little less rock and more blues compared to his late 70's and 80's output.

25. Did also some comparisons for "Stage Struck" and "Defender". I can recommend the new versions also. These are not that much different sounding from the original Intercords, but overall a tad cleaner. The differences also very from track to track, and for example "Loneshark Blues" (track 2 from Defender) sounds much better on the new remaster to me.

Overall those 3 last releases are nicely done. Don't expect any miracles but solidly done remasters with pretty much most of the dynamics left. No compression that would harm the sound applied here, maybe some single peaks were a tad limited but that is fine.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.