More Rory Gallagher reissues coming in Summer 2013

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Andrew Smith, Jan 29, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I can also say that overall, the new version of "Defender" is now also my preferred version.

Romerovm likes this.
  2. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

The new releases sound fine to me as well but take that with a grain of salt as I'm not a good "critical sound quality" type of listener.

I never really listened to Defender or Fresh Evidence that much before, but I've rediscovered them with this round of releases; they are better albums than I had remembered.

3. Romerovm

Romerovm Forum Resident

Have you been able to listen to the first batch reissued in 2012? I have been on the fence and haven't ordered any.

4. Yes, I have heard most of them. I thought most of them were pretty good, but I didn't care for the mastering of These:

Rory Gallagher (debut)
    Blueprint
    Tattoo
    Irish Tour
    Jinx

The others are pretty good to excellent, in my opinion.

The above mentioned are still better than the 1999 remasters, though.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2013
  5. Romerovm

Romerovm Forum Resident

I have most of the Intercord CDs. Would you recommend an upgrade on any? I don't have Photo Finish (is that one out on Intecord?) and I definitely need that one.

6. These two albums were never released as old Intercord CD's:

Deuce
    Photo Finish

These are absolutely essential in the new 2012 remastered form.

Live in Europe is also excellent in the 2012 remastered form (I prefer it over the Intercord CD).

I also think that the following sound nice, but the sound is quite close to the old Intercord CD's:

Against the Grain
    Calling Card
    Top Priority

These all sound a tad cleaner than the Intercord CD's but have slightly less dynamic range (but only very little). I am on the fence whether I like the new remasters better or the old Intercord CD's for these albums.

Romerovm likes this.
  7. Romerovm

Romerovm Forum Resident

Thank you for the reply! I will grab Deuce, Photo Finish and Live in Europe for sure. I might stick with the Intercord for the rest.

8. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

Just my opinion, but with the price on these all so cheap, it's worth picking them all up for the slim chance you might like the sound, plus the new liner notes/booklets are pretty nice.

Romerovm likes this.
  9. sennj

sennj I'm slower than I look...

General question, so anyone can feel free to respond: Are these newer releases in jewel cases or digipaks? I know the first 6 or so initially came out in digipaks, which were then replaced w/ jewel cases. I have the jewel case versions of the first batch and would like to finish off my collection (from Calling Card on) with the same.

Thanks in advance!

10. Original release of the remasters is in digipack, later re-releases are in jewel case. You can go by the release date listed on Amazon, e.g. January 2012 for digipacks and June 2012 for jewel cases.

sennj likes this.
  11. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

This recent batch is digipacks. Maybe they will come out later as jewelcases as rjstauber said.

sennj likes this.
  12. That is what I am expecting. I think they consider the digipacks as "limited editions", at least that is what it said on Amazon.de. I am assuming that we will see jewel case editions within one year or so.

13. evh5150

evh5150 Forum Resident

Were "Fresh Evidence" and "Defender" remixed for CD back in 1999/2000, like "Deuce" was in that period?

14. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

Not afaik.

I believe that these were the only releases which were remixed:

Rory Gallagher (1st)
    Deuce
    Against the Grain
    Calling Card
    Photo-Finish
    Top Priority
    Jinx

15. evh5150

evh5150 Forum Resident

Thank you!

16. Romerovm

Romerovm Forum Resident

I haven't picked these up yet, but since I prefer jewel cases than digipacks by far I am glad I waited.

17. easyge

easyge Senior Member

They are not digipaks in the US. Only overseas. I have them all.

Romerovm likes this.
  18. Romerovm

Romerovm Forum Resident

Good to know! Do they sound better than the Intercord ones to you?

19. Turnaround

Turnaround Senior Member

I am confused by the multiple threads on Rory Gallagher reissues, and hoping someone can clear up the basics. I have the 1999 CDs, and was reading the threads to see if it was worth buying the reissues that came out within the past three years. Thanks.

Were there two series of reissues, one by Eagle (starting in 2011), and another by Sony (starting in 2012)?

Was either of these series basically a reissue of the 1999 mixes/masterings?

Did either series of reissues coming out in digipak version first, then jewel case later? Are they all jewel case at this time?

20. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

The Sony's are all new masterings, different from the 1999 discs.

21. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

The 2012 (and newer) Sonys are all new transfers to CD, using original mixes (unlike some of the previous reissues), from (I think) original master tapes. They originally came out as digipacks. I believe you can get them now in jewelcases but I don't know if it is all of them or how to know if ordering mail order whether they'll be in cases or not. I have all of them and they are all digipacks, but I got them as first run/some as promos.

I yield to anyone with a better understanding of all this than me though.

22. DrLunchbox

DrLunchbox Forum Deadhead #1604

Haven't gotten through the entire thread, but I saw an interview with Daniel Gallagher that suggested they might be releasing an updated Irish Tour with more material for the 40th anniversary. I, for one, would love all three complete shows in a boxset - Belfast, Dublin, and Cork (were there multiple gigs in each city? I was under the impression there was one each).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.