More ...Signed Photos, LPs, Picture Sleeves, Promos, Memorabilia, Ephemera, etc.*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Maranatha5585, Oct 20, 2017.

1. Wow. How much was that.

2. Looks to be original bassist and founding member Graham Simpson on bass. I hope he gets inducted and that they also include Johnny Gustafson since he played on most of their studio albums in the 70’s

Edit: looks like key members Jg and Gs plus Jobson will be inducted. Only fitting.

longdist01 likes this.
  3. Now we need to get these guys in the RNRHOF. Joey, Pete’s daughter, Tom’s son Stephen and I do think that Ron Griffith and Bob Jackson should be included even thought their tenure was short

ZEP77, oboogie and longdist01 like this.
  4. Sammy Waslow

Sammy Waslow Just watching the show

£150 stg. So, including postage, about €180.

5. swedwards1960

swedwards1960 Forum Resident

That’s Nico.

6. Forgot to mention the kids would accept on their parents behalf as well as Mike’s kids

longdist01 likes this.
  7. Since you knew Greg did he ever address Fripp’s reluctance at assembling no the original KC group and why he thought Fripphad an issue?

8. No that’s Lauren Bacall.

Nico

Nico’s above at the link.

Maranatha5585 likes this.
  9. Maranatha5585

Maranatha5585 BELLA + RIP In Memoriam Thread Starter

NO way... Betty Bacall 100%.

10. Maranatha5585

No - I had specific work to do w Greg, afterward we talked about a myriad of things. I did not grill him on such matters.

wayneklein likes this.
  11. swedwards1960

That’s what I meant. Not Sandy Denny as guessed.

12. Maranatha5585

Wheew! ??
    Man... that makes no sense ?
    It is Lauren "Betty" Bacall wife of Bogie.
    I was not sure the other photo was Sandy Denny, as I stated.
    SO.. you say it isn't - then do not state who it is ?
    Please be clear.....

13. W.B.

W.B. The Collector's Collector

I wonder, whoever ended up in possession of these, could they measure the X (width) and Y (height) of the outer diameter of the black concentric circle to the nearest 64th, I suspect about 0.5% to 0.7% of the original size was lost by shrinking when these labels were pressed onto the LP records. (I suspect the hole on the label is 0.281", would I be close?) I much preferred the Scranton typesetting anyway.

14. swedwards1960

I was referring to the blonde woman lying down, who is Nico. I know what Lauren Bacall looks like, as I have signed photo of her within sight over the fireplace. There were several photos posted together in a group. Geez.

15. W.B.

You sure that's Miss Hayworth? I suspected it might've been Jane Russell . . .

16. W.B.

I think what they all meant was - and I saw that group o' pix - that the lass misidentified as Sandy Denny was the one actually Nico.

swedwards1960 likes this.
  17. swedwards1960

Yes, that is Jane Russell.

18. W.B.

Now in past posts on this thread there were numerous record label sheets, mostly of Dylan LP's from the mid-1970's period of varying eras. (I suspect besides the PMS 199 Red, the orange on that "ring around Columbia" label design was PMS 136.) I have, as someone with a long-standing interest in printing and graphics and "how things were done," taken interest in such sheets more for their specs and the practices of the varying labels in how things were put together. On those LP''s, for a 4" trim label, the bleed was 4.25" and that was also how they were centered. On eBay from a user named 'montparnasse71' there are some transparencies of label sheets and even the 1978 factory sleeves of Capitol Records (on which pop and C&W issues had the old "dome" logo in PMS 259 Purple, and R&B singles used PMS 347 Green - of course the background was silver). On transparencies for certain LP labels, the specs were such (quoting therefrom):
    4" TRIM
    4 3/16" W/BLEED
    4 3/16" CENTERS
    At least three printers handled the printing of LP and 45 label backdrops for Capitol starting around the mid 1970's: Keystone Printed Specialties of Scranton (they had on their sheets pointers for Grippers and Guides), Moore & Langen Printing of Terre Haute, IN, and Stoughton Printing of Los Angeles (now in City of Industry), CA (they were the ones with 'VENDOR #06' or 'SPC' on the lower right side of their sheets). The former apparently were for Winchester pressings; the second-named, for Jacksonville; and the latter, for Los Angeles. For 3.3125" labels, 3.5625" bleed on 3.5625" centers were prescribed. Such as on this one for Wings' "London Town" single from 1978:
    [​IMG]
    These labels were printed on 70 lb. Matte paper, which was a bit thicker in caliper (.0043) than 70 lb. Dull (.0038).

Columbia, meanwhile, for 3.5" styrene labels, prescribed 3.75" bleed on 3.75" centers. Such labels were printed on 60 lb. C1S (coated 1 side) label paper, with the uncoated side treated with an adhesive for heat seal applications, to affix to the styrene record. Here are two examples of such sheets. First for the Eagles' "Life In The Fast Lane" whose label copy was printed way off center:
    [​IMG]
    (That purplish-grayish-whatever background in-between labels would be 20C/20M/20Y/20K.) Next is the sheet for Elvis Costello's "Alison" c/w "Watching The Detectives":
    [​IMG]
    (They appear to have used PMS Warm Red and PMS 123 Yellow for this one.)

For vinyl 45 labels of 3.625" trim as from the Santa Maria, CA plant, the specs were 3.875" bleed on 4.25" centers (as used by most label printers today). Here's a section of a misprinted label sheet for Jackson Browne's "The Pretender":
    [​IMG]
    (4978 was the code for vinyl label sheets for Asylum. For styrene labels, the code would have been 1978.)

I also have a label sheet for one of the records of the 1977 Elvis In Concert LP, printed on the uncoated side of 70 lb. C1S paper, where RCA's standard was 4.15625" bleed on 4.15625" centers for 4" trim LP labels. Wonder what they would've used for 3.625" 45 RPM labels. It has also fascinated me as to the spacing between labels (and bleed) for 78 RPM labels. A lot of those specs got lost forever once vinyl fell out of the loop in the 1990's.

19. Maranatha5585

Indeed.. I appreciate the correction!
    Jane it is .. Lovely Rita on my mind...

MerseyBeatle, oboogie and longdist01 like this.
  20. Maranatha5585

@swedwards1960 - Aha, now I grasp what you were trying to say..
    Glad we both think LB was great.. Best Hollywood love story.. Bogie & Bacall!
    Peace my friend :cheers: .

21. Maranatha5585

22. Maranatha5585

@W.B. - Very interesting, and extremely in depth information...
    I do not consider myself an expert by any means on the production label sheets.
    Have had many over the years, the Beatles / Solo sheets and individual labels flooded the market years ago.
    I basically am a collector, but strive to learn as much as possible .. I enjoy all areas of production art work and
    materials. Always looking for authentic unpressed biscuits of Beatles / Dylan / Crimson.
    I sold almost all the labels sheets w the exception of the early-mid 70's Apple blank label sheet, and George "LITMW"
    and the three Dylan examples. I think the original authentic "BEATLES VI" and George "SIE" original proof LP slicks are my top production pieces.

If you happen to have any Beatles or Dylan biscuits, by all means post a photo..

MerseyBeatle and oboogie like this.
  23. W.B.

Agreed, agreed. But Bacall and Robards (Jason Robards Jr., whom she married a few years after Bogart's death) - not so much.

24. Maranatha5585

Certainly not.. I concur.

25. At the risk of sounding like Indiana Jones, this should be in a museum!