More ...Signed Photos, LPs, Picture Sleeves, Promos, Memorabilia, Ephemera, etc.*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Maranatha5585, Oct 20, 2017.

1. Maranatha5585

Maranatha5585 BELLA + RIP In Memoriam Thread Starter

[​IMG]
    * Pre-ordered months ago... Really waiting to hear this! Been 47 years now, what's another few..

King Crimson: Live In Newcastle, December 8, 1972
    By JOHN KELMAN
    April 19, 2019

[​IMG]
    Larks' Tongues in Aspic (Panegyric), but belies that fifteen-disc, 2012 40th Anniversary Series box set, which was subtitled "The Complete Recordings" on the opening page of its enclosed 36-page booklet.

But it's a minor quibble. The truth is, this five-piece version of a brand new lineup, making its first public appearance just two months prior on October 13, 1972 and its last a mere five months later, was King Crimson's second shortest-lived incarnation next to the 2008 twin-drummer lineup (which performed a mere eleven dates in four cities, leaving no studio recordings and, effectively, no new music).

The remaining members of the Larks' Tongues band continued as a quartet for another fifteen months before being summarily shut down in September, 1974 by the group's only remaining co-founder, guitarist
    Red (Island, 1974, reissued Panegyric, 2009). But with only seven live recordings from the quintet's 46 concerts included in the 40th Anniversary Series box (plus a very poor quality bonus eighth as a download), and a full five of those seven shows sourced from audience bootlegs, it's terrific news, indeed, that the band, still road-testing its new material in the final months of 1972, was in the habit of making cassette recordings off of the soundboard. Far from the high fidelity possible today, these soundboard recordings were, nevertheless, of sufficient quality to allow the band to continue honing its new repertoire prior to going into the studio.

Live in Newcastle, December 8, 1972 is, indeed, a major find: a soundboard recording that's a major addition to the documented legacy of this short-lived five-piece lineup that, alongside Fripp, ex-Yes
    drummer Bill Bruford
    b.1949
    drums

ex-Family bassist/vocalist John Wetton
    recordings from the full quintet remain amongst the holiest of Crimson holy grails.
    And for good reason. As superb as the Larks' Tongues quartet would ultimately prove to be in performance (and as well-documented, generally from much better sources, on two mega-box sets from Panegyric in 2013 and 2014 respectively, The Road to Red and Starless), Muir brought not just a visual "X factor" to the group but a musical one as well, his not-to-be understated contributions during his brief tenure with Crimson still felt well after his departure, with the percussionist exerting a lasting influence on Bruford, who added the role of percussionist to his extant position as the group's drummer after Muir's departure.

Live in Newcastle, December 8, 1972 stands out amongst the relatively few recordings from the Larks' Tongues quintet.

First, while still a relatively low-fi recording (call it "mid-fi," perhaps), it's still the best-sounding live recording from this group to date, with surprising clarity and delineation, given its source and age.

Second, it's the only known recording—barring the Hull Technical College date from November 10, 1972, included in the 40th Anniversary Series box—that features the entire Larks' Tongues in Aspic album in its running order, albeit with an incomplete version of the set-closing "Larks' Tongues in Aspic Part Two," which cuts off about halfway through.

Along with every track from Larks' Tongues in Aspic, two lengthy improvisations demonstrate the group's ability to draw music from the ether while, at the same time, connecting one song to the next. The first is embedded between a particularly lovely version of the miniature vocal piece, "Book of Saturday," and the powerfully symphonic "Exiles." The second is bookended by a lengthier, nine minute-plus look at the album's most eminently rocking "Easy Money" and the whisper-to-a-roar, improv-heavy "The Talking Drum," which segues into an incomplete "Larks' Tongues in Aspic Part Two," rendering the set almost completely continuous, barring a brief break for Fripp's announcement after the set-opening "Larks' Tongues in Aspic Part One" and another (with no announcement) following "Exiles."

Together, these two improvisations occupy 32 minutes of the CD's 72-minute run time, and demonstrate this quintet's far freer approach to extemporization, again largely thanks to Muir, who'd already established himself in the British free jazz scene, collaborating with guitarist
    Derek Bailey 1932 - 2005.

It's an incendiary reading of the composition that seems to effortlessly shift from subtle delicacies to ear-bursting grooves, the latter driven hard by Wetton's heavily distorted, positively massive bass lines, Bruford's instantly recognizable snare and Muir's reckless percussive contributions. The album's start-stop introduction to Cross' delicately oblique, largely a cappellasolo has yet to emerge at this point, though the violinist's feature, which turns into a duet with Muir, is closer to but, in the spirit of improvisation that underscores virtually the entire performance, still not a precise mirror of what would ultimately appear on the studio recording. Here, Muir's cascading, harp-like dulcimer strums gradually join with Cross for the simple, Oriental-sounding melody that signals the composition's final section, as it gradually builds towards the familiar, climactic conclusion.
    It may be a brief announcement at just over a minute, but before launching into "Book of Saturday" (still, at this point, titled "Daily Games," and delivered with both pastoral beauty and a hint of melancholy) Fripp takes the time to compliment the Newcastle audience, introduce what came before and what is to come next as the group.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2019
  2. Roger Ford

Roger Ford Senior Member

Thanks again.

3. g.z.

g.z. Senior Member

I've had these items for a while now and I just found some info on the web about them today.
    I won them along with a complete set of the George Harrison Dark Horse CD remasters in
    2004 from the Breakfast With The Beatles radio show.

Dark Horse Promo Canvas Bag
    B24797 - George Harrison 1970s Dark Horse Records Shopping Bag - Tracks Ltd
    GEORGE HARRISON DARK HORSE RECORDS PROMOTIONAL CANVAS BAG | eBay

Dark Horse US Promo Brown Paper Bag
    George Harrison Dark Horse Records US memorabilia (539357) CARRIER BAG

4. Maranatha5585

Nice! Excellent.. when a group of favorite musicians come together out of nowhere.
    What an incredible blessing .. All of my top favorites- Dylan, Paul, Ringo.. and, the mighty
    King Crimson. All in active performance, and releasing new projects. :righton: :righton:

longdist01 and oboogie like this.
  5. edenofflowers

edenofflowers A New Stereophonic Sound Spectacular!

I only know you from this forum and more specifically this thread but you seem like a really good man, Bruce. I'm not a religious man (anymore) but I've got a lot of respect for those Christians who walk the walk and follows Jesus' teachings closely. If there's a Heaven you'll be there one day, but hopefully not for a long time yet. I hope you've still got a lot of years, gigs and auction winnings to go.

Is there really nothing you can do about your back pain? No avenues left to explore?

Be strong. You're one of the most genuinely passionate fans on this site - KC & Bob specifically - and your enthusiasm is always a treat. I don't even like KC or Bob much but I can't help but enjoy your love for both. You're a light that shines even when you're suffering and I think a lot of us admire that and appreciate it.

I haven't prayed for about 25 years or so but I'll have a word about this with Him, you deserve a break.

God bless.

6. Maranatha5585

@edenofflowers ~

Thank You immensely for your very kind thoughtful note. It touched me a great deal
    to hear your honest, pragmatic words from a caring friend .. I never knew I had. You
    write well, and I get an idea where you're coming from. I'm lucky and blessed to have
    you as a friend. I'm not much for religion either, I fail quite miserably.
    I'm still a serious believer.. but the 'faith failures' can add up, and wear ya down.

Thanks again friend.. very encouraging!
    His best on ya,
    B~

7. Maranatha5585

Phil Keaggy ~ "Here Comes The Sun" (2008)

longdist01 and oboogie like this.
  8. Maranatha5585

[​IMG]

Apple Corps Ltd.
    3 Savile Row
    London, U.K.

[​IMG]

CBS 65780, oboogie, Jonpd and 5 others like this.
  9. Maranatha5585

Bob Dylan ~ "Bringing It All Back Home" E.P. Coin-Op Promo
    U.S. Columbia Records .. RARE! Promotional 33- Coin Operator EP.
    Full unused sheet of LP mini covers and jukebox title strips. Stereo.
    c., 1965.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

CBS 65780, Murph, Spadeygrove and 6 others like this.
  10. HominyRhodes

HominyRhodes Forum Resident

:cool: That's so cool. Rare as hen's teeth, I'll bet.

McLover, oboogie, longdist01 and 2 others like this.
  11. Maranatha5585

Yes, it's a cool one.. the "Stereo Little LP" 33 promo includes the alternate rare :
    "Bob Dylan's 115th Dream" edit with false start, laughing removed.
    The cover is a gatefold type, it's missing the other LP mini/label sheet.
    c., 1965.

12. Percy Song

Percy Song A Hoity-Toity, High-End Client

That is yummy. Best thing I've seen all week, I think. "Stereo Little LP". :)

13. HominyRhodes

Well, he was the leader of "The Protest Singers . . . 1966's Red Hot Entertainment trend." :D

[​IMG]
    And apparently, that also included The Byrds.

14. Percy Song

Percy Song A Hoity-Toity, High-End Client

Promo time again:-

The June 2019 edition of Mojo Magazine contains this "free" CD which features an exclusive preview track from Bob's upcoming 14CD box set, "The Rolling Thunder Revue - The 1975 Live Recordings."

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. HominyRhodes

No-frills promo sampler, with selections from The Last Waltz: I bought this a long time ago for around ten dollars, and I like it a lot.
    [​IMG]

16. HominyRhodes

U.S. promo copy of Dylan (1973) with timing strip and hype sticker, but stock labels on record; I found this online recently for around $12.00, IIRC. I'll have to double-check, but I don't think they issued this album as a white-label promo. Either way, this is a very nice pressing.

I do remember when this record came out in December of 1973; they were pushing "A Fool Such As I" as the single, but the local FM station kept playing "Mr. Bojangles" and "Can't Help Falling In Love" instead. A lot of people dismissed this release, and Dylan quickly overshadowed it with Tour '74 and Planet Waves, but I still like it and listen to it quite a bit.
    [​IMG]

17. Maranatha5585

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 23, 2019
  18. Maranatha5585

Bob Dylan ~ ''Fallen Angels'' Promotional Deck of Cards
    U.S. Columbia Records .. Sealed in box.
    c., 2016.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

19. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Ironic thing. About a month ago, I found a Near Mint mono pressing of this LP on a dig. Cost me $.99 but no Al Kooper inscription. A fine mellow jazzy sounding guitar instrumental mood LP.

20. MerseyBeatle

MerseyBeatle Martha my dear (1995-2012)

Jokerman.
    [​IMG]

21. MerseyBeatle

MerseyBeatle Martha my dear (1995-2012)

Bought the exact copy in NM condition about 6 months ago at Goodwill for .89¢. Was bummed it wasn’t a white label promo, but was glad to find it regardless.

22. Maranatha5585

...and this:

Bob Dylan ~ "Jokerman" / "Isis" Live Acetate
    U.S. Columbia Records .. two sided 10'' acetate, Rare.
    c., 1983/84.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 24, 2019
  23. Maranatha5585

24. Maranatha5585

CBS 65780, longdist01 and oboogie like this.
  25. Maranatha5585

[​IMG]

Blind Willie McTell ~ "Eddie McTier"
    U.S. GA .. Original tombstone.
    c., 1959.

[​IMG]