More ...Signed Photos, LPs, Picture Sleeves, Promos, Memorabilia, Ephemera, etc.*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Maranatha5585, Oct 20, 2017.

1. Maranatha5585

Maranatha5585 BELLA + RIP In Memoriam Thread Starter

2. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

Happy Birthday!

Maranatha5585 and oboogie like this.
  3. oboogie

oboogie Forum Resident

Happy Birthday Bruce! I am not too far behind you. My “Medicare Day Blues” start this October.

Maranatha5585 and longdist01 like this.
  4. Maranatha5585

Thank you Paul

longdist01 and oboogie like this.
  5. Maranatha5585

Thanks Dr. W. O’boogie

Fullbug, longdist01 and oboogie like this.
  6. Davosco

Davosco Senior member

Happy Birthday! Have a great day!

Maranatha5585, longdist01 and oboogie like this.
  7. TheGoodDoctor

TheGoodDoctor It used to go something like that

Happy birthday!

...Mona Lisa musta had the Medicare Blues
    You can tell by the way she smiles

8. Jonpd

Jonpd Forum Resident

A very happy birthday Bruce

longdist01, Maranatha5585 and oboogie like this.
  9. Maranatha5585

Thanks.. Davosco :righton:

10. Maranatha5585

dr dr... I got 'dem Medicare Blues all day long
    and thanx.. :p

Last edited: Jun 29, 2020
    longdist01, TheGoodDoctor and oboogie like this.
  11. Maranatha5585

donke schoen... and on yer day also.. :cheers:

Jonpd, oboogie and longdist01 like this.
  12. Maranatha5585

Bob Dylan ~ "Rough And Rowdy Ways" .. Promotional Advert

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 29, 2020
  13. Maranatha5585

Exchangin' Gifts With Bob...

14. Maranatha5585

15. swedwards1960

swedwards1960 Forum Resident

Enjoy your birthday!

oboogie and longdist01 like this.
  16. Maranatha5585

Thanks Scott :)

swedwards1960, oboogie and longdist01 like this.
  17. Maranatha5585

The KINKS ~

omikron and oboogie like this.
  18. Maranatha5585

The KINKS ~ "You Really Got Me" LP .. Reprise Records Art Dept.
    U.S. Amazing original mock-up LP cover for their debut 1964 album.
    Very rare!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. Maranatha5585

Further info re: The KINKS LP cover comes direct from Jeff Gold at Recordmecca:

This is the actual one-of-a-kind art used to make the front cover for the Kinks’ groundbreaking first LP. This ‘paste up’ artwork combines the original red tinted band photograph and separate pieces of printed out type, one for each word, and one with the Reprise logo, all ‘pasted down’ to a piece of 15″ x 21″ art board. The image is the size of the album cover slick, 12 3/8″ square. Attached to the top is a piece of vellum overlay, folded behind the artwork in the frame, likely with written printing instructions.

This artwork was created by the Warner Bros/Reprise Records in-house art department, and sent to the label’s color separator, to be photographed and turned into film for the printer. In the mid-1970’s the Warner Bros. art department cleared out their archives, disposing of this and the artwork for many other older albums, feeling it was taking up space they needed for more recent releases.

The archivally framed artwork is in very good condition, with some light age-related glue staining to the top of the photograph, and the type a bit separated from the backing at left and right edges (easily fixed if removed from the frame). Frame measures 18″ 3/4 x 23 3/4″ .. $4000.00 . With Recordmecca’s written lifetime guarantee of authenticity.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2020
  20. Maranatha5585

king crimson ~ ''beat'' u.s. promo poster (1982)[​IMG]

king crimson ~ "three of a perfect pair'' .. japan tour poster (1984)
    [​IMG]

21. Maranatha5585

George Harrison ~ Personally signed bank cheque drawn on the ''APPLE RECORDS, INC.''
    account of the National Westminster Bank Limited account. Beautifully signed and dated
    the 15th Jan, 1971 payable to Horse Tractors (Friar Park Gardening)..

A RARE! AAA example. Amazingly clean condition, without the various bank stampings,
    and cancelation marks that ruin and pierce the signatures so often..
    ''Check your checks'' .. as can be seen, the markings are all to the left, and far left of this
    George example. This would grade a 9/10.

[​IMG]

omikron, Percy Song, Jonpd and 5 others like this.
  22. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

Nice post Bruce!

Those two King Crimson Japanese Tour posters are cool and also that's a very clean Apple check signed by George!

oboogie and Maranatha5585 like this.
  23. Davosco

Davosco Senior member

Thanks for sharing this one and it is a beauty. Wish I was more aware of these things back in the day when I worked for Nat West in NYC starting in 1979.

Maranatha5585, oboogie and longdist01 like this.
  24. Maranatha5585

Interesting Davo.. any specific Beatles related stories that stick out ?

25. Maranatha5585

John Wetton, Bill Bruford, David Cross, and Robert Fripp played their last concert together on this day 46 years ago. The previous evening the band had played in Providence and were inching their way toward the finishing line of what had been a grueling and sometimes harrowing tour.

Although he was unaware of it at the time, it had been decided that Cross would not be continuing with the group once they returned to the UK. Consequently, emotions were high at this show, with Fripp noting in his diary, "Tremendous energy surge. V.strong. Nearly wept at one point, knowing this was the last time I'd be working with DC.”

But the gig nearly didn’t happen due to a terrible mains hum which threatened to swamp the PA sound. Fripp’s inclination was to cancel unless the technical difficulties could be overcome. A vote was taken and it was agreed to go ahead regardless. Wetton's dairy for the gig noted that "the deafening phase hum miraculously disappeared seconds before we took to the stage as if a power greater willed this to happen. It certainly felt that way."

[​IMG]

At a little after 8.30 pm, as the mellifluous strains of ''No Pussyfooting'' – still unreleased in the USA at that point – gently massaged the atmosphere, Crimson took the stage with a highly flammable ''21st Century Schizoid Man''.

[​IMG]

Towards the end of the set, the band played their epic new number ''Starless" . Fripp recalls: “As the sun went down and we moved into the ominous bass riff emerging from the Starless vocal, red stage lights faded up from behind the band. For me, a stunning theatrical moment highlighting the tension within the piece and the group; a moment of resonance.”

[​IMG]

John Wetton's diary at the time recorded that this was "Best Crimso gig ever." Later he recalled, “I don’t think you get that level of energy in bands that often. I don’t think there were that many bands around at the time, doing that kind of stuff, who could touch us.”

[​IMG]

Although he later enjoyed a far more lucrative career in Asia, who at one point sold 800,000 units a day, John was in no doubt which part of his career meant the most to him. “If I shuffle off this mortal coil tomorrow, that gig would be the one for me. All the stuff with Asia and everything else is just icing on the cake. That was the one ... it was almost tearful it was so emotional. It should have been the beginning of something rather than an ending.”

A week later the remaining trio began work on ''Red''. Although the band had employed the services of the Record Plant's mobile recording, it wasn't present at this event. An audience recording of the show was given to the KC archive, and was released as part of the King Crimson Collectors' Club in 2000..

[​IMG]

Of this momentous concert John Wetton comments “If I shuffle off this mortal coil tomorrow that gig would be the one for me. That was the one…it was almost tearful, it was so emotional.” [endtease]Memorable for not only being the last date with David Cross but also for Fripp the first gig “since the 1969 Crimson where the bottom of my spine registered ‘out of this world’ to the same degree.” Of the improv, Cerberus, John recalls “It's very together. It's almost telepathic the stuff Bill and I are doing…The energy level is terrifying.” And so it is. An unbelievably poignant gig marking the end of an era but the beginning of something else. Just a week later with David Cross no longer with them, they entered the studio to start recording Red and just two months after that, King Crimson would "cease to exist."

Last edited: Jul 1, 2020