More ...Signed Photos, LPs, Picture Sleeves, Promos, Memorabilia, Ephemera, etc.*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Maranatha5585, Oct 20, 2017.

1. Percy Song

Percy Song A Hoity-Toity, High-End Client

I hope the following helps a bit.

I'm not overly qualified to answer although I did spend a few months in the early 70s working in a recording studio where one of my tasks was cutting acetates on an ancient semi-automatic lathe. These were essentially "throwaway" discs for the musicians to take away with them after the sessions for reference or to use as short-lived demos in often fruitless quests for recording contracts. (I also made tea, ran the tape echo and once played tambourine on a session for a quite famous American musician called Tom.)

Yes, acetates are cut and vinyl records are pressed. The acetate is an aluminium plate coated in lacquer. I imagine "thread cut" is what we called swarf, which was the detritus resulting from cutting into the lacquered coating on the acetate as the tape was transferred to disc. The swarf these days is automatically removed during the cutting process by, effectively, an integral vacuum cleaner. I really don't recall whether this was a feature of the lathe I used. Probably it was, but I may well have had to hold a household vacuum cleaner close to the cutting mechanism. I suspect "chip" is used to describe, literally, chips (or flakes) of lacquer that become detached from the surface of the aluminium disc. You can see an example of the loss of bits of lacquer on this acetate. It's an acetate EP which includes a performance by the incomparable Cadets called "Stranded in the Jungle"...

[​IMG]

As you have already seen, no doubt, @Maranatha5585 has an enviable collection of fine acetates. He could post images of these all day and all of the night, day after day, eight days a week and I'd never get tired of drooling over them. :)

D.B., stepeanut, MerseyBeatle and 6 others like this.
  2. Maranatha5585

Maranatha5585 BELLA + RIP In Memoriam Thread Starter

Thanks for the v kind words

3. Derek Slazenger

Derek Slazenger Specs, rugs & rock n roll

Didn't know this :) Thanks! I like everything I've ever seen by The Fool. I think they're much more of a footnote to that era from '67 to '70 than they deserve to be. They were right in the thick of it and constantly in demand. There should be an illustrated book and high-quality documentary film about them IMO! Marijke is still a busy artist, still doing custom guitar work and psychedelic paintings as well as other stuff. Would a thread to share images of them and their work be worth starting, do you think?

D.B., mradmack, Percy Song and 3 others like this.
  4. Spin One

Spin One Well-Known Member

Thank you Percy! This was extremely helpful to answering my question. It’s exactly what I was wondering!

Thanks so much for sharing your experience.

May I ask more about this Tom you played for?

D.B., Percy Song, oboogie and 2 others like this.
  5. Maranatha5585

I
    Sure why not.. ?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Coolness /

oboogie and longdist01 like this.
  6. Maranatha5585

The Beatles ~ SIGNED Autograph Page. .. ''J, P, G & R'' !!
    RARE!! .. Super Fab original autograph set signed with the extremely rare
    ''John, Paul, George, and Ringo'' running order. Very seldom did they ever sign
    like this example... and, in different color ink pens too. Photo archives.
    c., mid 1960's, exact date unknown.

[​IMG]

Very interesting indeed ... WOW!
    I'd need a Frank Caiazzo non the less.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2020
  7. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

Wow, that's a rarity look at those pen signatures...!

Also heard there's another batch of cool stuff coming up in a Sotheby's Auction soon.

8. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

The next track put up online from Joey Molland's New album out next month, on October 16th. It was co-written and Produced by Mark Hudson with Julian Lennon's photography.

"I Don't Wanna Be Done With You"

D.B., Jonpd, Percy Song and 3 others like this.
  9. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

10. Maranatha5585

[​IMG]

The Beatles ~ ''SPLHCB'' .. German ''Hor Zu'' Langspeilplatten label Promo Coaster
    c.,, 1967.

[​IMG]

11. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

yes a Pint or Classic Cola w/ Fab Four!

[​IMG]

12. MerseyBeatle

MerseyBeatle Martha my dear (1995-2012)

Nice. Thanks for the reminder. I forgot I have that book with the photographs and autographed card. Mine is number 1098.

13. Maranatha5585

Last edited: Sep 21, 2020
  14. Maranatha5585

:biglaugh:

longdist01 and oboogie like this.
  15. 1ifbyrain2ifbytrain

1ifbyrain2ifbytrain Forum Resident

me too, my first trip to the UK I went to both Bournemouth shows, Cardiff, and London. When I cleared customs the gentleman asked why on earth I was going to Bournemouth (I was 37 at the time). Weather in Bournemouth was warm and lovely, intro in Cardiff was in Welsh, still the simple Columbia Recording Artist.

Jonpd, longdist01 and oboogie like this.
  16. Percy Song

Percy Song A Hoity-Toity, High-End Client

Sure. It was a very little thing. An American musician called Tom came into the studio on the fly to record a quick demo of a song he had. He asked for someone to provide a tambourine accompaniment on the second, and last, take. I drew the short straw and did my best after a short rehearsal. I cut an acetate of the final performance for him afterwards and he commented, "Ah, I see The Tambourine Man also cuts the acetates." I can't recall what song it was and have no idea if it was ever subsequently recorded (more professionally) in the more familiar surroundings of a Nashville studio. It didn't occur to me to cut a second acetate for myself. Really, I had no clue who this guy was until well after he had left and one of the engineers showed me a record of his. Even then it still didn't ring a bell for me - not my scene, really, and I don't think he made much impression in the UK.

Much later I learned that he had written "Harper Valley P.T.A."

Much, much later I learned that his producer in Nashville was none other than the mighty Jerry Kennedy, who played lead guitar on Dylan's "Visions of Johanna", and that he'd used many of those Nashville Cats who'd played on "Blonde On Blonde" (Charlie McCoy, Henry Strzelecki et al) on his own records. Not surprising, given that they were session musicians working in Nashville, but somehow it made that brief encounter with Tom all the more special.

17. Hammerhead

Hammerhead Forum Resident

Tom T Hall is one of the greats!

oboogie, Percy Song and MerseyBeatle like this.
  18. Maranatha5585

@Percy Song ~
    That's a great story.. it's always good to have a wonderful memory to recall and look back on.. For people like us, it's often music / the arts related. And that's an extra blessing.

Jonpd, oboogie, Percy Song and 2 others like this.
  19. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

20. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

EDIT: Hell, I think I'll just link all the performances!

Apologies for the glacially slow reply - I remembered your response just now. First off, I'll say that this is an ever-evolving collection; songs are dropped and added for different iterations of my collection as new covers emerge. My goal was to create a group of songs that had a similar vibe/feel, so you weren't going to get a "punky" Dylan cover followed by a mellow acoustic number. They're also, in general, fairly contemporary recordings, so you don't have that "60s sound" adjacent to "80s synth drums" and so on. It's kind of a "lazy Sunday morning" collection, best enjoyed with some coffee (perhaps lightly spiked).

Here's a version from several years ago:
    1. A Hard Rain's Gonna Fall - Edie Brickell
    2. It's All Over Now, Baby Blue - Bonnie Raitt
    3. Shelter From The Storm - Cassandra Wilson
    4. Man In The Long Black Coat - Joan Osborne
    5. Make You Feel My Love - Adele
    6. Mississippi - Sheryl Crow
    7. Heart of Mine - Norah Jones
    8. Don't Think Twice (It's Alright) - Susan Tedeschi
    9. To Ramona - Sinead Lohan
    10. Love Minus Zero/No Limit - Eliza Gilkyson
    11. License To Kill - Cowboy Junkies
    12. All Along The Watchtower - Thea Gilmore
    13. You're Gonna Make Me Lonesome When You Go - Madeleine Peyroux
    14. Simple Twist of Fate - Diana Krall
    15. Every Grain of Sand - Emmylou Harris
    16. Tangled Up In Blue - KT Tunstall
    Earlier versions contained Forever Young (Pretenders), I Dreamed I Saw St. Augustine (Thea Gilmore), and I'd Have You Anytime (Evan Rachel Wood). The latter was a bit of a cheat, being a Harrison co-write, but the sound of the recording fit perfectly with what I was after. I could pick any number of Thea's Dylan covers and swap them in, but I was shooting for a very famous tune, so Watchtower won out. I always thought Chrissie's Forever Young was a sonic outlier in my set, but I'd happily sub one of her recent lockdown songs in its place. Similarly, I think Joan Osborne's Dylan covers album is terrific and could pick any number of her songs for her "slot". Bettye LaVette is a bit of a sonic outlier, as well, but I would try to pick one of her more subdued numbers to fit in, because I quite like that disc. And the new Emma Swift would unquestionably have a spot in a 2020 version of this. But the thought of putting it all together is too daunting for me to consider! :sweating:

Note: I suspect a number of these versions are familiar to many here. One that is likely not familiar, especially to US listeners, might be Sinead Lohan, who had a very brief recording career (two albums, only one of which - No Mermaid - was released in the States, but was quite successful for a "debut"). I think her version of Ramona is sublime, but it was a non-album single from a woman who barely had a career!
    Studio:

or, if you'd prefer to watch a live performance.
    For good measure, here's I'd Have You Anytime, as well.

21. mrjinks

22. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

Thank you @mrjinks for sharing that great playlist of female artists covering Dylan!

Maranatha5585, oboogie and mrjinks like this.
  23. Keam

Keam Isn't it funny how the rain gets in?

oboogie, longdist01 and mrjinks like this.
  24. mrjinks

Thanks! I’m probably more proud of this compilation than any I’ve ever made. I really feel it holds together as an album, thematically (despite the ever-shifting tracklist). I think it gives people who don’t understand Bob a window to explore him and I’m naive enough to think they might!

25. Keam

Keam Isn't it funny how the rain gets in?

Haha maybe. I mean, it's not that I don't like his songs - he's a great writer - but that voice...

mrjinks likes this.