More ...Signed Photos, LPs, Picture Sleeves, Promos, Memorabilia, Ephemera, etc.*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Maranatha5585, Oct 20, 2017.

1. krisjay

krisjay Psychedelic Wave Rider

Not music related, but I thought it was cool. I home school my son, he is 11 now, as part of a project, I had him interview a few people of his choosing. One ended up sending him a signed photo. Kinda neat.
    [​IMG]

2. Maranatha5585

Maranatha5585 BELLA + RIP In Memoriam Thread Starter

SEE LIVE!!!

BOB DYLAN
    1981 U.S. TOUR
    on CBS Records And Tapes

[​IMG]
    Original COLBY Poster Printing Co.

omikron, Jonpd, Percy Song and 2 others like this.
  3. Maranatha5585

BOB DYLAN And His Band
    THE TABERNACLE * ATLANTA, GA
    Three Nights!!! Apr 12 - 14 * 8 pm.
    c., 2002.

[​IMG]

omikron, Jonpd, Percy Song and 2 others like this.
  4. Maranatha5585

5. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

That's is really nice, and thank you for sharing the awesome signed photo of Former Astronaut Michael J. Massimino! Saw this online interview earlier.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2021
  6. Maranatha5585

7. krisjay

oboogie and longdist01 like this.
  8. Maranatha5585

9. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

The Concert For Bangladesh (2005 US Apple promo-only CD/DVD package given away at the official US release party held in L.A.
    A 20-track 2-CD album set in card sleeves w/ 36-page booklet in clamshell picture box, Two DVD set in fold-out digipak w/ 32-page booklet and picture slipcase. A printed wallet filled with set of 10 picture postcards from artists at the concert, presented in a glossy 10" x 8" x 4" black bag lined with orange tissue and with 'The George Harrison Fund For Unicef' guitar logo.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 23, 2021
    Troyh, omikron, Jonpd and 4 others like this.
  10. Ephi82

Ephi82 Still have two ears working

Is it safe to assume this is pretty good?

longdist01 and Maranatha5585 like this.
  11. stepeanut

stepeanut The gloves are off

The Tabernacle gigs were 2004, Bruce, n0t 2002. You were probably there. Time plays tricks on our memories ... :)

longdist01, oboogie and Percy Song like this.
  12. stepeanut

This is an interesting one. Here is the original autograph, supposedly signed for Bob’s friend Peter McKenzie on 1 October 1965, the night of Dylan’s gig at Carnegie Hall, NYC:

[​IMG]

I say supposedly because it looks good to me, but there’s a shadow hanging over items from the McKenzie collection. Peter McKenzie was successfully sued in 2007-08, by Jeff Gold of Recordmecca, for selling him fake signed Dylan items:

DYLAN MEMORABILIA LAWSUIT (PETER McKENZIE)

Dylan Memorabilia/Peter McKenzie Lawsuit Settled

Caveat emptor.

omikron, longdist01, oboogie and 3 others like this.
  13. Percy Song

Percy Song A Hoity-Toity, High-End Client

James Page....

14. krisjay

No shadows then, if anything proved fake, the whole barn is infested. This is why, while I'd love to have certain signed pieces, unless verification is 100% possible, I just couldn't do it. I am finding the Autobiography route is great for legit autographs. Many have live signings and or limited signed editions.

omikron, longdist01 and oboogie like this.
  15. stepeanut

I always approach autographs from first principles. I look at the item as a whole, as dispassionately as possible, and ask myself, “Does this item make sense?”

When and where might it have been signed?

Does the item the autograph appears on fit with the time period, and circumstance, it might have been obtained in? A CD signed by Jim Morrison should ring alarm bells. Obviously, this is an extreme example, but the same principles of reasoning should always be adhered to.

Who is selling it, and why? Do they have an unending stream of rare autographs, or is this a one-off, or part of a small collection? Again, a seemingly unlimited supply of rare signatures from one private source should ring alarm bells.

Is there any provenance?

Compare the signature to as many known examples as you can find. Ask questions of the seller, particularly if big money is involved, and be prepared to walk away if you’re not satisfied with the answers.

On the other hand, bargains can still be found in the most unlikely of places. I have a large collection of signed books, many of which I’ve found in charity shops for next to nothing.

One of my best finds, again in a U.K. charity shop, is a scrap of paper signed by Hollywood legend Robert Mitchum. The scrap was stuck down with Blu Tack in the corner of a cheap photo frame, and I paid just £5.00 for it. I compared it to known examples of Mitchum’s autograph, and I’m convinced it’s the real deal.

Why would anyone fake something like that, then give it away to a charity shop? That’s not a good business model for anyone looking to supplement their income by forging autographs. You’d make it look as professional as possible, then stick it up on eBay with an appropriate asking price.

I was convinced that the odd-shaped piece of pale blue paper had been cut from a vintage autograph book, so I took the frame apart and carefully removed the paper from the backing, and picked off the Blu Tack. Sure enough, there was another, partial autograph on the other side.

All this is to say that there are plenty of genuine autographs out there, but do your research before reaching for your wallet, and always bear in mind the financial objective of the seller.

The Peter McKenzie case was so shocking to the Dylan community because he was a known associate of Bob’s, dating back to the early days of his career. But, rather than allowing McKenzie to cover up his deceit, Jeff Gold did the right thing by exposing it, and probably saved a few others a lot of money in doing so.

16. 1ifbyrain2ifbytrain

1ifbyrain2ifbytrain Forum Resident

17. Maranatha5585

2004 it was..

longdist01, oboogie and stepeanut like this.
  18. Maranatha5585

Paul McCartney ~ ''The Lyrics"

longdist01, oboogie and Jonpd like this.
  19. Maranatha5585

Paul McCartney & Rick Rubin ~

20. Maranatha5585

Paul McCartney ~ ''60 Minutes'' Australia
    c., 1991.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2021
  21. Maranatha5585

CORRECTION: The year was 2004.

22. Maranatha5585

Bob Dylan ~ NYC

23. Maranatha5585

Broadside Ballads LP ~
    U.S. Folkways Records ..
    Introducing Blind Boy Grunt
    c., 1964.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

24. Maranatha5585

George Harrison ~ Traveling Wilbury's Owned Shirt
    From 1988, a faded denim shirt labelled West Point, two buttoned breast pockets, the left embroidered ''The Traveling Wilburys'' in red, gold and black, button front. Size L, together with a letter of provenance. Given by George to DJ broadcaster Roger Scott on one of his many visits to Friar Park. After Roger's death in 1989, the shirt remained in the possession of his widow, Lesley Scott. RARE! photo archives.
    c., 1988.

[​IMG]

omikron, Jonpd, swedwards1960 and 3 others like this.
  25. Maranatha5585

THE BEATLES ~ ''LET IT BE'' Acetate LP
    U.K. Emidisc one-single-sided, 7'' 45 rpm Emidisc, MONO, label with typewritten recording details, in original plain paper sleeve. RARE! Photo archives.
    c., 1970.

[​IMG]

omikron, Jonpd, oboogie and 2 others like this.