More ...Signed Photos, LPs, Picture Sleeves, Promos, Memorabilia, Ephemera, etc.*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Maranatha5585, Oct 20, 2017.

1. Maranatha5585

Maranatha5585 BELLA + RIP In Memoriam Thread Starter

2. joy stinson

joy stinson Secret friend

They were all extraordinary..saw them different cities from you except wings, but saw them..saw king crimson open for badfinger in 72. Some helpful person on the forum in a badfinger thread posted a badfinger ticket verifying KC was opening act. We’re obviously around the same age. Seventies had the best concerts IMO.

omikron, longdist01 and Maranatha5585 like this.
  3. Maranatha5585

:righton: Absolutely Joy! :cheers:

omikron, longdist01 and joy stinson like this.
  4. Maranatha5585

BOB DYLAN ~ "Love Sick" .. Desert Trip . LIVE

Gepetto, omikron, longdist01 and 3 others like this.
  5. joy stinson

Love him..a real legend, IMO greatest American living talent ..saw him three different decades...

longdist01 and Maranatha5585 like this.
  6. Percy Song

Percy Song A Hoity-Toity, High-End Client

Well, being a Londoner, my train fares probably added no more than fifty pence to the cost of each ticket. I wasn't paid much in 1973, I can tell you... :)

But yes, indeed, especially Sunday night. This is what I wrote in 2017.

=====================================================================

Keith’s aim, it seems, was always true.

In September 1973 I attended all four shows at the Wembley Empire Pool, a triumphant "homecoming" for the Stones after their tax exile in France. They were promoting the recently released "Goat's Head Soup", a somewhat disappointing offering after the glorious shambles that was "Exile on Main St.", but which did feature the charred David Bailey-snapped photo of Keith on the rear of the gatefold sleeve. It was during the final show on the 9th that “The Sunday Incident”, as I shall call it, occurred.

The 15 song set list was identical for each of the 4 shows, except on the Friday night when they added a 16th song, inserting “Silver Train” between “Midnight Rambler” and “Honky Tonk Women”. The “Silver Train” performance was not really successful; a thorn between two roses.

The players were spread across the huge stage. From left to right, looking at the stage: Billy Preston, The Horn Section (Bobby Keys and a couple of others I didn’t recognise), Mick Taylor, Keith, and Bill, with Charlie on the riser at the back, of course. The singer was everywhere at once although his nominal position was between the two guitarists. My memory is probably flawed here, but I could have sworn that there was a second keyboard player tucked away in the corner next to Billy Preston and that it was Ian Stewart. Or was it Nicky Hopkins? Or was it just my imagination?

The shows started with energetic performances of “Brown Sugar” and “Gimme Shelter”. Mick T spent a lot of the time looking down at his guitar, but playing wonderfully; Bill barely moved all night. Mick J rushed around the stage in his ballet pumps, trying to whip up excitement in the audience which was seated and forbidden to stand up and dance by the Empire Pool jobsworths. This heavy-handed policing of the audience by the venue security bouncers in their faux-military uniforms would have repercussions on Sunday night during The Sunday Incident...

Keith, with liquid refreshment in cans and bottles stacked up on his amp (along with smokes, I believe), was simply the coolest man on the planet that night; the riffs he produced were simultaneously decisive and dirty, complementing the high, clear, sharp, deliberate licks coming from Mick T over on the left . This was probably the moment when The Stones should have recorded a live album; these shows made “Get Yer Ya-Ya’s Out” sound like a poorly-rehearsed Stones tribute band. (In fact one of the Brussels shows from a few days later was officially released a few years ago, at least digitally, as "Brussels Affair".

The third song was Keith’s. “We’re gonna get Keith up here, to sing for you now...” This was a fast and furious “Happy”, with Mick supplying plenty of vocal support into Keith’s microphone along with some odd chicken wing flapping-style dancing. Bill remained calm. Next, they rolled into “Tumbling Dice”. Keith cranked up the chords, and whatever lyrics Mick sang they were just as indecipherable as they had been on the masterful “Exile on Main St.” On Sunday, this song marked the turning point at which a great show became an unmissable experience, due to The Sunday Incident...

“This next one’s called “Starf**ker”, announced Mick. The audience was delirious; it seemed the majority of punters joined in with the chorus of a song that had been released only a week ago. Well, to be fair, it wasn’t a difficult chorus to pick up on! The frenetic pace of the show thus far was apprehended by “Angie”. Mick sang, “Let me whisper in your ear…”, and then whispered “Angie, Angie, where will it lead us from here…” into the ears of 10,000 souls.

A lengthy “You Can’t Always Get What You Want” was a crowd pleaser, again showcasing Mick T’s licks. Then we were “Dancing With Mr. D”, although no dancing was allowed by the Wembley Security spoilers, remember. This live rendition was more muscular than the opening cut on “Goat’s Head Soup”, though perhaps the vocal was not as sinister as the album version. “Doo Doo Doo Doo Doo (Heartbreaker)” rattled along; I recall that the horn section was prominent on this one, and I think Billy came out of the shadows to approximately centre stage with a portable keyboard strapped across him like a guitar – there’s probably a name for this instrument but I don’t know what it is – a portable clavinet, perhaps?. (I may be imagining this event – it might have been a feature of Billy’s earlier set only.)

The theatrical centrepiece of the show was “Midnight Rambler”, for which Mick had acquired a blues harp. The song was taken at first at breakneck speed and stretched out to probably 15 minutes. The band slowed it down five minutes in. Copious amounts of dry ice covered the stage to knee-depth. Mick removed his satin belt and fell to the floor. “Let me hear you – Owww!” screamed Mick. The audience replied as one, “Owww!” This vocal duel between the singer and the audience was repeated a number of times, before the stage lights dimmed to nothing and the sound faded away to almost nothing.

“Weeeeaaaallll, you heard about The Boston…” As one, the band hit that chord, the Super Troupers flashed and Mick’s belt hit the floor, in perfect synchronicity; again, and again, and again, and again. Bill remained motionless. The pace picks up and the performance races to the finish: “I’ll stick my knife right down your throat….”

Charlie’s good tonight. Into the home straight now with a steady “Honky Tonk Women” followed by a frantic “All Down The Line”, a favourite from “Exile On Main St.” Then “Rip This Joint” at a million miles a second with a couple of nice horn section interludes. After perhaps 80 minutes of full on guts and thunder, Mick J (an old man, now, at all of 30 years old, don’t forget) is still running and jumping around like, well, “Jumping Jack Flash”, which is the penultimate number. An extended “Street Fighting Man” finishes the show, and what a finish it is! The lights are reflected onto the audience by a huge mirror as the band jams the song into oblivion. Mick T can’t find any higher notes on his guitar so stays sustained on the highest he can hit for what seems like forever. Mick J scatters confetti - rose petals, maybe, soaked in water - over the audience at the front of the stage from several bowls handed to him from the back of the stage. The band leaves the stage. Bill strolls off in his own time. The lights come up and the PA plays “Land of Hope and Glory”.

Outside the venue after the Saturday afternoon show we met up with a young man perched on a low brick wall which bounded the grass apron. He was openly playing back the show that he had just recorded on a fairly hefty portable tape recorder. Was it a reel-to-reel or an early cassette? I can’t rightly remember but it had a shoulder strap and plenty of switches, VU meters and other bells and whistles. The sound was clear and loud. I asked the owner how he’d got the rig into the place. “Don’t ask,” he replied. He said it would be available on LP within weeks, and it was! There seemed no point in going anywhere before the start of the second show that day so we just hung around and listened to the show we’d just seen!

The Sunday Incident happened during “Tumbling Dice”, the fourth song!

As mentioned above, the Wembley security personnel were heavy-handed throughout the first three shows, insisting that everyone sat down during the performances. Some people had been physically encouraged to do so and several had been ejected from the venue. During “Tumbling Dice” on Sunday a long-haired youth close to the stage on Keith’s side stood up and danced on the spot. I say “danced”, but you know what I mean; it was a kind of shimmy and shake with overhead handclaps in an upright position. A bouncer was onto him pretty sharply and began trying to make him sit down. There was resistance.

Keith was the first on stage to spot the commotion. He began pointing at the incident, jabbing a finger at the developing fracas, drawing Mick’s attention to it. Keith was at the front of the stage now, shouting to the bouncer, but without a microphone he couldn’t be heard. Mick started to get involved. “Hey, Mister Commissionaire; hey you, hey you, hey you, Mister Commissionaire, hey you, hey baby, hey you, get outta there, hey you, get outta there, get outta there, get out….”

The security guard retreated briefly, waiting for reinforcements. “Tumbling Dice” gathered momentum for half a minute. Another security guard returned to evict the dancer, dragging him towards the aisle by his hair! Keith became enraged, stopped playing and turned to grab a can from his amp stack. Mick started shouting again, “Hey man, hey man, hey you, hey you, hey you, Sergeant, Sergeant, Sergeant, you can come up here! Sergeant, we don’t need you!” The other musicians, apart from Mick Taylor, stopped playing one by one as the scene developed. Keith threw the can. Full, empty? – I don’t know, but it landed right on its intended target and the security guard retreated again, rubbing his head where the missile had struck and shaking his fist at the perpetrator on the stage. Long-Haired Youth remained upright. Other audience members stood up and begin dancing. Rebellion was in the air!

The players cranked up “Tumbling Dice” again. When the song ended a minute later Mick made an announcement, “There’s just one thing I’d like to say to the security guards: just lay off will ya?!” Then, to the audience, “We’re having a good time, it’s your show, it’s our show, it’s not a security show.” As the band stormed into “Starf**ker” the entire security contingent walked out of the arena in solidarity with the one who was struck by Keith’s drinks can.

Now the entire audience was up on its feet, and there was a rush of bodies towards the stage, the aisles filling up with a mass of people set free from the confines of their seats. People who had been seated, squeezed up together and rubbing shoulders with complete strangers but without any exchange of words a moment ago, were now standing, gripping each other and yelling and laughing as though they were long lost school friends or lovers. I never knew her name but boy, I’ll always remember the unexpected red hot lingering kiss. Sometimes I wonder if she remembers me at all...

From the moment of the security walk-out until the end of “Street Fighting Man” the fast songs were taken at an impossible speed. The players could barely keep up but it was difficult to figure out just who they were trying to keep up with! One moment Charlie was leading the charge, the next it was Keith, then the horns. Bill was seen to crack a smile and take a couple of steps to his left at one point. The audience remained delirious and the best of friends until the lights came up and normality was restored. The three shows that had preceded this one were memorable; this one was exceptional.

On Sunday night I missed the last train home and slept on a bench at Waterloo station. On Monday morning a work colleague asked if I’d had a good weekend. “Yeah, not bad; not bad at all.” My ears are still ringing, nearly 44 years later.

Of course, Grandma JoJo reckons The Stones were better when they played the pubs and clubs in London and the Home Counties before and just after they landed a recording contract. In those days, apparently, Keith was as quiet as a mouse and was a most genial companion at the bar. But she wasn't there at Wembley in 1973..

===================================================================================================

"Grandma Jojo" is my wife. Keith Richards signed her arm with a felt tip pen (I think it's called a Sharpie these days) back in the days when they were playing the Ricky-Tick at Windsor and the Wycombe Town Hall. He signed, "The Mouse". That was his handle back then.

[​IMG]

7. omikron

omikron Avid contributor to Paul McCartney's bank account

I have seen him on all US Tours starting with Driving USA. Favorite one is easily the Chaos tour where he played Too Many People. Columbus on my list here of Paul shows attended. That whole setlist was great but then I love the Chaos album and Too Many People in particular was amazing.

April 11, 2002 Chicago Driving USA (DR)
    October 5, 2002 Indianapolis Back In The US (DR)
    October 22, 2005 Columbus The US Tour (CACITB)
    August 4, 2011 Cincinnati On The Run
    Oct 28, 2014 Louisville Out There! (NEW, originally June 26)
    July 10, 2016 Cincinnati One On One (soundcheck, NEW)
    June 1, 2019 Lexington Freshen Up (ES)

Maranatha5585, longdist01 and oboogie like this.
  8. TheGoodDoctor

TheGoodDoctor It used to go something like that

Great story thanks! This along with other recent posts makes me wish I’d been around at the time these groups were all in their prime.

9. joy stinson

You have me beat by a long shot with number of concerts you’ve seen, as many on the forum have me beat with concert numbers, but I notice not too many saw wings as had to be older to see them and was a really huge tour with general admission tickets then ....as I said..mine was wings76, flowers 90, ground 93, new, 14 and DR, o2...Nevertheless, I wouldn’t take anything for those twentieth century tours except he’d damaged his voice not warming up correctly on flowers tour. We know how stubborn he is..lol.

Curious as to when you noticed his voice showed was badly damaged singing some parts as I didn’t notice it in 14....would you say 16 or 19? I saw too him in Lexington but was in 90...I think the concert was a result of rescheduling and the Nashville 14 concert was also a rescheduled one..his illness I think.

Maranatha5585, longdist01 and omikron like this.
  10. joy stinson

IMO that era was peak Stones concert era..

TheGoodDoctor and longdist01 like this.
  11. omikron

Here's an advert for Run Devil Run that I clipped from Q magazine at the time as well as a VIP badge for the album. Got that one along with the promo flat (shared earlier) from a local shop owner whom I used to teach his kid swim lessons.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. joy stinson

Extraordinary stuff..your collection is great with unique stuff..mine female fan emphasis sixties things of all types , seventies promo stuff ,mags and a little later..but have a huge real fan photo Beatles and solo sixties and seventies collection. I have very weird things but never had a VIP badge...I’m still not over your song book collection...I do have some sheet music and one or two Beatles music books for playing...I fell off the grid collecting mid eighties forward except for albums/CDs till 2000...really need to catch up. I got busy with working, buying houses, cars...

longdist01 and omikron like this.
  13. omikron

Then allow me to tantalize you further.

[​IMG]

14. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

RSD 2021

[​IMG]
    A Limited Edition Vinyl will be available on Record Store Day -- July 17, 2021

A limited edition run of 1,000 *VINYL* copies of Joey's latest release, "Be True To Yourself" will be available on Record Store Day - Sat. July 17th, at independent record stores throughout the country!

It will be on orange vinyl, with *100* randomly placed inner sleeves, signed by Joey himself!
    Featuring guest stars like Julian Lennon, Micky Dolenz, Jason Scheff (formerly w/Chicago), drummer Steve Holley (Paul McCartney & Wings)....not to mention dozens of Kickstarter campaign donors!

Produced & Engineered by GRAMMY Award-winners, Mark Hudson (Aerosmith) & Mario McNulty (David Bowie)

Mark your calendars for Sat July 17th!

Percy Song, Jonpd, mrjinks and 3 others like this.
  15. Maranatha5585

Love that! :wave:
    I've totally last count how many shows I've attended.. realistically I
    would guesstimate the # 70 shows. First show Pittsburgh, PA. Civic Arena
    1989 .. Many binge weeks w/ f0ur plus gigs.

Jonpd and longdist01 like this.
  16. Maranatha5585

Bob Dylan ~ "Together Through Life" .. Test Pressing LP
    U.S. URP United Record Pressing .. RARE! Original 12'' 33 rpm URP test pressing LP.
    Dated 3/31/09. Photo archives. I had saw this listed, and then forgot to bid. Major errors like this can actually still occur... :drool: BUMMER.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 12, 2021
    Percy Song, Jonpd, longdist01 and 2 others like this.
  17. Maranatha5585

Thanx for the 'hot tip' Paul.. :righton:

longdist01 likes this.
  18. joy stinson

Holley was my man..an extremely fine looking dude in his day..lol..WOMENSZ.

19. Maranatha5585

The Beatles ~ George Martin Orch - "A Hard Day's Night" PS
    U.S. United Artists .. RARE! 7'' 45 rpm special Promotional PS.
    Photo archives. The picture sleeve is one of the rarest.
    c., 1964.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 12, 2021
  20. Maranatha5585

[​IMG]

John Lennon ~ BEATLES Early 1963 Logo ~ "B" w/ antenna
    Handwritten by John Lennon, RARE! .. photo archives.
    c., 1963.

21. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

George Harrison plugging a new song way back when... for a laugh!

( thank you @vitorbastos123 )​

22. joy stinson

You’re my bud but a cruel dude here...lol. A really great pic of Linda there who looked very good with makeup...

omikron, longdist01 and Maranatha5585 like this.
  23. joy stinson

Meant to add...i greatly envy your hearing him do too many people..worth the high price of the concert that song alone...Think it was you telling your cool stories of going to his concerts around the country without much money ...great stories and experiences you had..

omikron and longdist01 like this.
  24. omikron

So now I am getting to looking at all my promo posters and trying to decide which to hang up.

First up is one for the Yellow Sub song track when the film got reissued in 1999.

[​IMG]

25. Percy Song

Percy Song A Hoity-Toity, High-End Client

Bob Dylan: "Too Late (Acoustic)", unreleased outtake from "Infidels", included on an Uncut Magazine cover mount CD, "Dylan...Revisited", released on 15th April 2021, in celebration of The Bobster's 80th birthday (and my grandson's 15th birthday) on 24th May.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

swedwards1960, Jonpd, mrjinks and 5 others like this.