More Stones SACD Details

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by lukpac, Jun 17, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member Thread Starter

Well, I just hope folks don't get the wrong idea. I mean, it all seems so funny - I'm sure a lot of people think David is just joking around. Well, I know the man (and the myth and legend for that matter), and let me tell you, it's all true. I've seen it with my own eyes.

Well, except that Katie Holmes reference of course. Don't know how that got in there!

:D

2. lukpac

Here's the latest press release from ABKCO:

3. Bob Lovely

Bob Lovely Super Gort In Memoriam

Luke,

Thanks!

Bob

4. Joe Koz

Joe Koz Prodigal Bone Brother™ In Memoriam

I hope there is more stereo than mentioned. The long version of "Everybody needs somebody to love" that's going on Hot Rocks should be in stereo. But it isn't on the list. I just hope there's a few good surprises on the up coming CD's. We just have to wait...

5. guy incognito

guy incognito Senior Member

Like the Good Humor man, Luke is giving us all one big scoop after another. :D Great job!

I'm still not getting my hopes up too high, but I have to admit that it looks like ABKCO is at least attempting to do a good, professional job on these reissues, which is frankly more than I would have expected.

I can't help noticing Jon Astley's name included in that list of credits, however. Please, PLEASE let his involvement here have been a minimal one.

6. Joe Koz

Joe Koz Prodigal Bone Brother™ In Memoriam

I think Astley only did tape research. Didn't have anything to do with the mastering. Thank God huh....

7. lukpac

Well, besides surprises, I simply think ABKCO is confused on a few matters. For instance, they mention Heart Of Stone being in stereo now, even though it already was on the Now! CD. On the other hand, they *don't* mention Down The Road Apiece or What A Shame, which were in stereo on that same CD (and will almost surely be in stereo on the new SACD, based on Steve Rosenthal's comments, and the fact that they're releasing all the other Chess material in stereo).

As far as Everybody Needs Somebody goes, it seems as if ABKCO wasn't even aware that they used the long version for their CD. As such, how could it "now be in stereo" if it wasn't previously issued by them? Of course, it's also possible they simply used the mono mix. We'll see.

Play With Fire isn't mentioned, despite the fact that the stereo mix is pretty good - certainly no worse than Heart Of Stone. An oversight? Or did they count it as previously being in stereo since it was in narrow stereo on Hot Rocks? Or did they just use the mono mix?

Mother's Little Helper isn't mentioned, even though it's never been in stereo in the US. Then again, it's *always* been in stereo on the UK Aftermath, so perhaps they didn't feel it was worth mentioning? We'll see.

19th Nervous Breakdown and Have You Seen Your Mother, Baby aren't mentioned either. Somebody who knows Jody Klein told me they would be, but you never know. An oversight in the press release? A surprise come August? Or simply the mono mixes again? I guess we'll have to wait and see.

8. lukpac

I believe all he was involved in was finding tapes and doing flat transfers of tapes. Why the tapes were not simply shipped to The Magic Shop for transferring isn't quite clear, but...

9. Vivaldinization

Vivaldinization Active Member

Am I the only person on earth who doesn't like being "surprised" in this way? I want to know exactly what I'm getting, and I want that information conveyed by knowledgable people who don't make me cringe everytime they pass over an entry-level detail.

And of course, the Law of Reissues (that fun law which states that no reissue campaign can EVER replace the earlier campaign...and it's pretty universal. Dig, for example, how the alternate mono Wouldn't It Be Nice is MIA as of this recent reissue campaign. Or The Who stuff. Or the fact that the Spirit reissues conviniently miss some material on the Time Circle compilation. I could go on) means that SOMETHING on the old CDs will still be worthwhile. I'm betting that the stereo Satisfaction remains a commodity at this point...unless they're just full of **** and giving us the usual stereo mix.

-D

10. lukpac

Hey, for all we know, they'll just use the mono mixes again...:rolleyes:

11. lukpac

Well, I'm thinking of Fortune Teller - we've got two different versions of that now, and I only see one showing up - on More Hot Rocks. Well, I suppose they could use one version (with crowd noise) on "Got Live" and another (without) on MHR, but nevertheless, that still means we need an old CD for *one* of the versions.

I'm actually thinking about picking up a copy of the current ABKCO MHR to check it out...:eek:

12. Vivaldinization

Vivaldinization Active Member

It's also on the Singles Collection currently, FWIW.

Something I've never bothered to figure out, BTW...is the version of We Love You on the ABKCO MHR stereo?

One sound quality difference that always astounded me. As my first London CD was More Hot Rocks 2, the *marked* difference in clarity between the Dandelion on the ABKCO Big Hits 2 and the one on there just floored me.

-D

13. guy incognito

guy incognito Senior Member

Yep.

14. lukpac

Fortune Teller? Not on any copy I've seen!

15. lukpac

Re: Have You Seen Your Mother, Baby

Well, the thing is, both the stuff on bootleg (without lead vocals or piano) and the Between The Buttons tracks sound pretty damn good. This doesn't simply seem to be an "RCA issue" - it seems to be a problem with that specific song...

16. JWB

JWB New Member

Yes. It's mono on the singles collection and stereo on MHR.

17. Tomek

Tomek Senior Member

Greedy ABKCO is messing again with the Stones catalogue

I am very disappointed by the fact ABKCOs are going to earn a fortune on CD/SACD albums sequenced as being made by acountants NOT music lovers !!!!

Why do they include very short, hastily assembled US LP versions.

I would like to have "The Rolling Stones" with Mona (without that advert-like title England's Newest Hitmakers), "The Rolling Stones No. 2" album. Why do I have to buy (I won't!!!) double More Hot Rocks to get I Can't Be Satisfied and some tracks from FIve by Five EP !!!!.

They ABKCO should learn from the BYRDS reissue about the right track-listing.

They should add some bonus A-sides and B-sides, stray tracks (like Look What You've Done from awful US LP December's Children), along with unreleased ones like those from Chess Studio sessions, Got Live If You Want It live EP (with a proper track order).

Instead of straight copies of US (or even UK) LPs. They might have release something like Chess Studios sessions '64, Out Of Our Heads plus ....

Singles Collection, but with real singles up to 1969 (NO Surprise, Surprise or Sympahty FTD or any SPs of Metamorphosis crap.

If they are hungry for money (like the guys from WorldCom and Enron) they should ask top prices for Properly made SACD/CD hybrids. Just like GOLD CDs of DCC or MFSL.

The fans would be also satisfied with the box of all properly sellected CDs, along with some bonus SACD/CDs like the Beatles'Past Masters to clear that mess.

It's 21st century - what sense does it make to have 12 tracks among them some fillers lasting about 30 minutes on a state-of-the-art sound carrier for about 15$?!?!?!

Why the hell are the fans to pay 3 or 4 times for the same tracks?

How many Lady Janes, Sympathies For the Devils and Not Fade Aways are the fans supposed to have on the Remastered Collection ???

For now I think I'll get me Get Yer.., Let It Bleed, Beggars, UK Aftermath and will wait for the next AKBCO-Klein generation to release the Stones catalogue as it should be done.

I wish someone else owned the Stones Decca (Not ABKCO) catalogue.

Tomasz Smolen

Krakow

18. lukpac

Re: Greedy ABKCO is messing again with the Stones catalogue

Er...you need to get More Hot Rocks *anyway* for certain songs.

All of Five By Five is issued on 12x5. Are you thinking of the first EP (Money, You Better Move On, etc)?

Keep in mind you can totally avoid about half a dozen or more CDs if you want to out of the 22.

Could ABKCO have been more thoughful in regards to album versions/bonus tracks/etc? Sure. However, based on what we've heard so far, what we *will* be getting will be worth it.

Damn...if I wasn't busy I'd go pick up that sampler CD today:(

19. Tomek

Tomek Senior Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.