Morning Dew (Grateful Dead)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bzfgt, Jul 14, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bzfgt

bzfgt The Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler Thread Starter

OK! What is the best version, or versions, of Morning Dew?

I must mention Barton Hall at the outset, as I realize it will be brought up soon and frequently. I love that version and it's a worthy one to have as your favorite, although it doesn't tower over the other top versions or anything like that. Definitely a great one, though.

Currently I favor 2/24/74 (Dave's 13), I've been listening to that show a lot and it is absolutely killer. The MD is superb, and Jerry is really into it (he's one of the only singers, I think, who gets an 'A' for effort--even though he's not a conventionally great singer, and when he really leans into a version it can sound very amateurish, it still is for some reason quite effective when he does).

I know Archtop is really into 6/18/83, and that is another fantastic rendition, and another one where Garcia really gets into it. I haven't heard that one in 5 or 6 years, though, so I have to revisit it soon--I seem to recall there's no soundboard of that one; it would be helpful if Archtop, or anyone, could point me to the best recording of that...

One of my perennial favorites is the well-known 9/18/87 version, very well-sung and comes to a climax when Jerry shoots up the fretboard and hangs on a wrong note--I'm pretty sure he does it on purpose, anyway, we'll just say he does; after all, the man knew the fretboard. If it is a mistake, he capitalizes on it by hanging there for a bit and emphasizing it. In general it's a smoking solo, and one of the best versions ever.

This is one song I generally prefer his late 80s vocals on, they have a little more meat and he really kills the final "guess it doesn't matter anyway!" line.

I saw a lot of great shows, and some that are now considered (late) classics, like 10/16/89 and 3/29/90...but one of the absolute peaks of my show-going days was a Morning Dew in the rain at Giants Stadium on 7/10/89. It is one of the better sung versions I've ever heard and, although the solos don't get totally crazy like the 87 MSG version, they are fiery as you'd like. This version doesn't get any press, but it's at the very least a sentimental favorite of mine, and it blew my mind on the night.

So, of the ones I've heard I am picking
    2/24/74
    9/18/87
    7/10/89

What do you have for me?

Last edited: Jul 14, 2017
    The MEZ and adamos like this.
  2. JayB

JayB Senior Member

5/26/72
    9/10/74
    5/22/77

3. Lightworker

Lightworker Forum Resident

My all-time favourite version of The Grateful Dead's Morning Dew is probably
    The Sir Douglas Quintet's original 1969 studio version of At The Crossroads.

[​IMG]

JRM, sberger, GerryO and 2 others like this.
  4. bzfgt

Good ones, and I had forgotten about the Sportatorium...

5. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 V/VIII/MCMLXXVII

10/18/74, from the Grateful Dead Movie.

NUNZI, ghostdwg, ianuaditis and 2 others like this.
  6. Dahabenzapple

Dahabenzapple Forum Resident

2/24/74
    5/8/77
    5/26/72
    5/22/77
    10/18/74

Plenty of others - I also even like the Primal faster & shorter versions.

7. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

Everything else. :)

Harlanator and bzfgt like this.
  8. 10/18/72 PITB > Dark Star > Dew > PITB

Not one of the usual suspects, but an unusual prankster-ish crescendo back into PITB.

adamos, bzfgt and Crispy Rob like this.
  9. This is it for me. There is a great story about the recording of it in the Long Strange Trip documentary.

johnny q, unravelled, Deek57 and 3 others like this.
  10. Black Thumb

Black Thumb Yah Mo B There

Gotta agree 2/24/74 is way up there, not least because of the sound quality. I'm a Dark Star-head, so the fact that this MD comes out of a killer DS doesn't hurt either.

11. Stone Turntable

Stone Turntable Independent Head

Archtop, ianuaditis, adamos and 4 others like this.
  12. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

Great essay that I'd never seen before - thanks for pointing it out.

I guess I'm still partial to 5/8/77, but 10/19/73, 5/26/72, 9/18/87 (the best one I saw live), 5/22/77, 10/18/74, 9/10/74, and 2/24/74 are all worthy. 2/28/69 is a powerful relatively early one. And of course 6/18/83, although it is too bad we don't have a better recording of it.

Dreams266, Archtop, adamos and 3 others like this.
  13. bzfgt

14. bzfgt

Damn it! Can someone remind me how to turn that into a link?

15. bzfgt

I'm listening to this now, thanks for the tip, I don't think I've heard this show in 7 or 8 years. This Morning Dew is gorgeous! A really deep, meditative reading of the song.

The recording glitches at the very end, unfortunately...

Last edited: Jul 14, 2017
    budwhite and Blue Note like this.
  16. bzfgt

In fact, I'm adding this one to my list of favorites...so now we have:

2/24/74
    9/18/87
    7/10/89
    10/18/72

Keep them coming and I just might wind up with a "top 5"...(admittedly the 89 is kind of the odd man out, a killer version but not one you'd expect to come out on top tow to tow with Cornell. I guess I'll fall back on the "sentimental favorite" defense...)

Blue Note likes this.
  17. SurrealCereal

SurrealCereal Forum Resident

I am by no means a Dead expert, or even much of a Deadhead, but for what it's worth, I like the version from 5/2/70 (Dick's Picks 8)

GerryO, ianuaditis, bzfgt and 2 others like this.
  18. Scopitone

Scopitone Caught the last train for the coast

I am trying to remember one I listened to the other night that I loved. It was really mellow and possibly part of a DS sequence. Could that be 2/24/74?

bzfgt likes this.
  19. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

The version on the original Europe '72. . . just because that was my first exposure and I've heard it so so many times.

johnny q, lesterbangs and Crispy Rob like this.
  20. :D:thumbsup:

I need to make time to re-listen to this one myself.

bzfgt and Crispy Rob like this.
  21. bzfgt

Crap, I can't edit this any more and I said "tow to tow"....ugh

22. bzfgt

I'm not sure, I don't think of that one as mellow, as far as MDs go...10-18-72 is mellow...

23. jamesmaya

jamesmaya Senior Member

I'm really enjoying reading all the recs on this thread. It's inspired me to make a compilation of GD live versions of Morning Dew! But guess what? I also love the studio recording from their s/t debut. You'll laugh but whenever I hear it, images come back of those disaster drills in grade school! Such a powerful, era-defining song. It was covered by everyone from Duane & Gregg Allman to Lulu to the West Coast Pop Art Experimental Band, but a band named The GRATEFUL DEAD made it their own. Don't you think there is great poetic beauty in that?

Last edited: Jul 15, 2017
  24. ianuaditis

ianuaditis Matthew 21:17

Archtop and Scopitone like this.
  25. Archtop

Archtop Soft Dead Crimson Cow

I can also tell you how to drive a golf cart into a water hazard, so I wouldn't necessarily put all that much stock in what I say.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.