Morning Raga Pt VIII-uninterupted American primitive, fingerstyle guitar

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by lemonade kid, Nov 28, 2020.

1. lemonade kid

lemonade kid Forever Changing Thread Starter

Wonderful stuff!

dfbm #83

Morning Raga Pt. VIII

posted Tue, 15 March 2016 19:43 by dying for bad music

# MIXTAPE, AMERICAN PRIMITIVE, SOLO GUITAR
    Welcome to the next installment of the Morning Raga guitar solo series. Two hours of uninterupted american primitive, fingerstyle guitar and anything related. I dug out some gems by contemporary guitarists and a few that are quite old, but still shiny.

Here:

Mixcloud

For more info and artists:

dfbm #83 - Morning Raga Pt. VIII

[​IMG]

Fizzle, iggyd, zphage and 1 other person like this.
  2. J Borland

J Borland Forum Resident

Thanks for this. :righton:

3. It would be nice to continue this discussion and exploration of finger style, drones, American Primitive, etc.,

A favorite from the late great Jack Rose, enjoy:
    Jack Rose - Kensington Blues

Icewater_7 and lemonade kid like this.
  4. lemonade kid

More American primitive...
    Great Christmas music...it'll be here before you know it.
    This is quite wonderful.

dfbm #109 - Christmas Morning Raga Pt. 22

HERE: dfbm #109 - Christmas Morning Raga Pt. 22

[​IMG]

"Welcome to the Christmas season with festive guitar solos, two banjo pieces and one fiddle tune.

There is quite a gap between the last mixes and reviews here on this site and this fresh new holiday mix. I would love to talk about what happened, but it's just as half as important compared to what many other people experienced, like loss of income or loved ones.

I could bemoan that Christmas here where I live is always white and this year it's just a bit frost in the morning and during the day sunshine and bright blue sky or it's just gray.

Anyways - for 1,5 hours you can dive into a steel-string solo-guitarscape that includes the obligatory Fahey Christmas tunes, an imaginary tour through Winter Wonderland and cozy solo guitar, home-alone at Christmas-Eve extravaganza (more like intravaganza).

And just shortly after I finished up this mix, Italian blues scholar and steel string guitarist Roberto Menabò sent me a rendition of "Silent Night" - so here it is:

dfbm #109 - Christmas Morning Raga Pt. 22

I hope you enjoy this mix and I hope you still like the format (zip, mixcloud stream), because I'm not going to deal with that one big streaming service. Buy your music on bandcamp write an email to artists and argue with people that getting the vaccine when possible and wearing that mask when needed is kind of important, so we can go to concerts again and doing all that stuff that is missing right now.

As always, you can support DFBM by buying a t-shirt and share the mixes. Thank you for listening."

Here is the set list:

1. Sean Smith Christmas Morning (Improvisation I)Christmas 2013 web
    2. Lukas Read Deep Winter RagNeo Age 2016 web
    3. C Joynes Christmas Medley: I Saw Three Ships Come Sailing In / In The Bleak Midwinter / The Holly And The IvyGod Feeds The Ravens 2008 web
    4. Josh Kimbrough Good King WencelasYule Chime 2020 web
    5. Wall Matthews Carol of the BellsThe Heart of Winter: Christmas Guitar web
    6. Mariano Rodriguez El turrón de Alicante y el clima subtropicalLiberation Theology for beginners. 2014 web
    7. Sam Moss I'll Be Home For ChristmasChristmas Classics 2014 web
    8. Glenn Jones A Different Kind Of Christmas CarolThe Giant Who Ate Himself and Other New Works For 6 & 12 String Guitar 2018 web
    9. Anthony Pasquarosa Have Yourself a Merry Little ChristmasChristmas with Fireplace 2019 discogs
    10. Gratton Winter's WispWillow House 2016 web
    11. Clive Palmer Christmas CarolClive Palmer's Banjoland 2005 discogs
    12. Robbie Basho Hindu Christmas CarolSong of the Avatars: The Lost Master Tapes 2020 web
    13. Cody Lee George God Rest You Merry, GentlemenChild of the Holy Spirit: Christmas Carols for Solo Guitar 2018 web
    14. Bill Orcutt Christmas On EarthBill Orcutt 2017 web
    15. John Fahey Go I Will Send TheeThe New Possibility: John Fahey's Guitar Soli Christmas Album 1968 discogs
    16. Ragtime Ralph White ChristmasVolume 4 2009 discogs
    17. Richard Osborn Winter Moon In The Oak TreeFreehand 2015 web
    18. Kerem Atalay Winter 2Summer Winter 2018 web
    19. John Fahey/Terry Robb Winter WonderlandLive TV 1983 discogs
    20. Sean Siegfried Apples In WinterBackwoods 2011 discogs
    21. Mariano Rodriguez El hijo del carpinteroCintas de Navidad 2020 web
    22. George Stavis Winter DoldrumsLabyrinths 1969 discogs
    23. The Black Twig Pickers Old Christmas MorningRough Carpenters 2013 web
    24. Maurizio Angeletti Last Winter's SighWindows Over The Stream 1981 discogs
    25. Mark McGuire Carol of the BellsDo You Hear What I Hear 2018 discogs
    26. Sean Smith Christmas Eve (Improvisation II)Christmas 2013 web

zphage likes this.
  5. whodanny

whodanny The Who ! THAT'S WHO !!

Superb, thanks for posting this. This seems to be quite hard to find in the UK, but I'll keep searching.

zphage and lemonade kid like this.
  6. Icewater_7

Icewater_7 The universe expressing a consciousness

Shame on me, I only recognize two names on that list, Fahey & Basho. I need to get out more.

lemonade kid likes this.
  7. YouCantWin

YouCantWin Lacking in Some Direction

Agreed. I’ve been diving into that genre over the last couple of years, but it’s mostly been a solo trip. I’d welcome the opportunity to talk about - and learn more about - the genre with others. In that spirit, I’m really into Marisa Anderson’s work. And this is the record that introduced me to her.
    Traditional and Public Domain Songs, by Marisa Anderson

danasgoodstuff, Miles1968 and zphage like this.
  8. another classic

Peter Walker Rainy day raga

9. Miles1968

Miles1968 The years just pass like trains

I'd love the chance to discuss this kind of music. I'm in the early stages of exploring it myself.

I really like the album (Lost Futures) Marisa Anderson and William Tyler did, probably because I like both.

I'm also a big fan of Yasmin Williams

Trag, lemonade kid, elaterium and 2 others like this.
  10. YouCantWin

Nice, I'm not very familiar with Williams, but I've been meaning to check out a couple of live recordings I have from her recent tour with Gwenifer Raymond, who I really like. Here's Raymond playing a track off her (I think) most recent album.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2022
    Paul Gase, Icewater_7 and Miles1968 like this.
  11. Miles1968

Miles1968 The years just pass like trains

Yasmin's Urban Driftwood album is well worth checking out. She signed a copy for me after her gig in Bristol with Gwenifer, they are both great players with somewhat differing styles.

Fun fact : Gwenifer was brought up about 5 miles from where I live :)

YouCantWin likes this.
  12. elaterium

elaterium Forum Resident

Nice technique but a bit too manic for my tastes.

13. danasgoodstuff

danasgoodstuff Forum Resident

I picked up a copy of Marisa Anderson's Mercury on LP the other day, I think it's OOP on vinyl. Actually listening to her Traditional and Public domain online at the moment.

14. lemonade kid

Did I send that to you or did you download it from the site? Highly recommended!

15. YouCantWin

Her new record Still, Here arrived at my house last week, but I haven't had a chance to listen to it yet. I've been eagerly waiting for it.

lemonade kid likes this.
  16. Icewater_7

Icewater_7 The universe expressing a consciousness

Checked it out on the site, thanks!