Morrow and Signal Cable comparisons

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by stay crunchy, Jan 12, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

Thank you for this. I won't go on and an about this because this is a Morrow vs Signal thread but suffice to say..............your suggestion made a believer out of me.

RnRmf likes this.
  2. RnRmf

RnRmf Senior Member

I'm happy you found it useful!

3. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

Question for anyone that has used Signal Cables Analog 2 RCA interconnects:

Does anyone else feel these cables roll off the top end? Compared to the Monoprice premium cable that was there before it, the top end is softer and there is more bass. The difference is unmistakable. And although I take marketing hype with a grain of salt, here is the blurb from the Signal Cable website:

"Smooth top end with a hint of Warmth, unmatched midrange liquidity and world-class bass extension."

This was exactly my impression before I even read it!

So......what exactly is going on here? :)

4. DigMyGroove

DigMyGroove Forum Resident

I recently scored a used set if 5 ft. morrow MA1 on Ebay for $26, almost unbelievable!

advanced101 and Kristofa like this.
  5. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

I'm bumping this - anyone else have a similar experience with the Signal Cable Analog 2??

6. Standingstones

Standingstones Forum Resident

Let's keep this in mind. Morrow Cables in general, cost more than Signal Cables. Let's not bring up the used versus new here. Also, are you buying just one pair or a whole set. You have to justify how much you want to spend.

Another candidate that should be mentioned is WireWorld. I haven't read any negative comments about their products. I am currently using some of their power cords.

7. stay crunchy

stay crunchy Forum Resident Thread Starter

Haven't been back to this thread for some time, but I would like to note that I ended up with the Morrow SP3 speaker cables and am quite pleased. I think they are a good match for my system and the cost was in my budget. Didn't get to try out the Signal speaker cables, but I did get a used power cable off US Audiomart. Thick as a garden hose, kind of hard to bend around stuff and get it to fit, but it works great. I can't tell if it's any different than the cable I had before, but for $50 I can't complain.

Johnny Vinyl likes this.
  8. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

Question for those who have placed multiple orders with Morrow. Do they always take so long to ship, like...over a month? No break in service, basic MA1. By way of comparison, Signal cable had me my cables the same week my order was placed.

9. RnRmf

RnRmf Senior Member

Definitely not in my experience, although it's been close to 5 years since I ordered. I'd think an MA1 would be on the way within days. It's probably worth checking in with them.

johnny q likes this.
  10. ggjjr

ggjjr Forum Resident

Recently, I ordered from them, and it did take a month to receive

11. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

Yeah - I emailed Mike and he replied quickly with tracking information! But while I was waiting, I dug into the website and it does say shipping times are 14 to 21 days, so I guess now I am "in the know." Today was 21 days.

stay crunchy and RnRmf like this.
  12. stay crunchy

Hey johhny q, I received the same reply from Mike when I first ordered mine, too. He said that they didn't make them until you ordered them (if I remember correctly), and it took at least 3 weeks to get them. Worth the wait, though, in my opinion. Best of luck!

johnny q likes this.
  13. stay crunchy

So after a year of starting this thread, I think I can make somewhat of a direct comparison between the cables...at least in regards to each companies power cables. I had been using the "garden hose" Signal power cord for some time without complaint. Like any good audiophile, paranoia gripped me when I realized that the rest of my cables were all Morrow except for the power cable. While severely scratching that itch online, I came across a used Morrow power cable (I believe off his website...maybe Audiogon?) and ordered it.

The main thing I noticed after using the Morrow power cable on my power amp was, at first, the bass seemed less pronounced. I was like, "awww crap!," but then I noticed that it wasn't less pronounced or punchy, it was just more clear. I could make out bass guitar lines more easily...as if some of the fuzz had been cleared away and it had become more focused. The second thing I noticed was that vocals seemed more "complete," for lack of better vocabulary. The leading edge of vocals always seemed clearly enunciated, but the trailing syllables seemed to clouded and difficult to make out at times. Kind of like looking at an iceberg: you can easily make at what's above water, but what's left below is hidden and you can only guess. I'm assuming this can also be attributed to the bass tightening up a bit and allowing whatever was buried to appear. I hope that makes sense.

Anyways, I have all Morrow cabling now and am very satisfied. The itch has been sufficiently scratched...for now.

14. G E

G E Senior Member

I have morrow cables throughout my system. I started with his MA-2 interconnect and was impressed.

I bought some MA-4 ICs and a PH-4 and was pleased. Eventually I ponied up for a 20 foot run if XLR MA-6 to got from preamp to power amp. I added SP-6 speaker cables.

All these cables replaced Blue Jeans branded cables which were lifeless sounding in comparison.

Recently I went a little crazy and replaced the speaker cables with the Elite Grand Reference from Morrow. They ain't cheap even used but the music became more solid without sacrificing air and the 3d imaging is spectacular.

I know have pH-7 phono and MA-7 to preamp. The 20 foot XLR remains. Id like to upgrade it but thAt will cost $&$

System is Well tempered Amadeus, Grado reference master, Hagerman Cornet2 with amperex NOS tubes, bel canto preamp, Bryston 28-2 monoblocks VMPS rm30 series 2 speakers, room acoustically treated.

15. samurai

samurai Step right up! See the glory, of the royal scam.

FYI: Morrow wire is no longer silver-plated, just plain old copper now.
    Please check with Morrow to confirm.

16. docwebb

docwebb Forum Resident

Indeed there are 8 changes to Morrow Cables listed on the website including no price increase.
    7. Solid Copper Instead of Silver Coated Copper
    We no longer use silver coated copper wire, only solid copper wire for each individual SSI strand. The presentation is now smoother and more musical. You will re-discover recording after recording, hearing things you never heard before.

They offer a trade up option....I'm thinking of trading up my CD player cable which is the older silver coated but too many things going on now so will hold off for awhile.

Johnny Vinyl likes this.
  17. Audio73

Audio73 Forum Resident

Are expensive cables really needed?

18. sanvara

sanvara Member

Are you still using Belden 8402? I'm thinking of trying 8402 and Morrow 2. What did you like about the 8402 that made it better to your ears vs Morrow 2? I have Elac Navis powered speakers which are on the warm side and I'm concerned 8402 might make them too warm, but maybe that's not really a concern? I have Belden 1505A right now.

19. ChrisR2060

ChrisR2060 Stereo addict

Difference between morrow and signal cable:
    Morrow is like any other misleading "high-end" cable marketers.
    Basically his proposition is an upgrade path from very small-gauge to large-gauge cables, sold at outrageous prices from the get-go with level "1".
    Other disgusting examples are anti-cables, monster cables, audioquest, and too many other greedy characters to name.
    Where morrow is even more disgusting is when he does offer monthly payment plans, 0% interest maybe but that's for products that do offer 0 benefit and that are marked up many folds more than your health care supplies and medications.
    In contrast, signal cable proposes cables made by the most expert companies in the world, wrapped and terminated by himself with the best connectors. No BS, just products used and trusted successufully in demanding applications around the world. Honest pricing policy.
    That's the difference.

Upstateaudio and bluesaddict like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.