Mortal Engines movie December 2018

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by digdug67, Dec 16, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. digdug67

digdug67 Hockley's Hits Here! Thread Starter

Searched and didn't see a thread for this movie (gort delete if there is).

Saw it yesterday and enjoyed it. Loved the idea of mobile cities in the future and the steampunk aspect of the tech. The actor from Lord of the Rings (name escapes me) was excellent and the young actors who played the hero and heroine were quite good too.

Good pacing and plenty of action!

turnersmemo likes this.
  2. Drew

Drew Senior Member

3. thegage

thegage Forum Currency Nerd

Hugo Weaving is the actor. I don’t get this movie at all, and the trailers for it certainly don’t help as they are incomprehensible. I’m not sure if I’ll go see it, but I won’t be surprised if it loses a ton of money.

John K.

4. I feel the same. I really like a good science fiction movie. If written well the opportunities are almost endless.
    When I saw the first trailer I had thoughts. The second time my thoughts were confirmed.
    Since that time the only things I seem able to imagine when seeing the trailer is a mix of:
    Monty Python - The Crimson Permanent Assurance. Mad Max - Fury Road, and The Lord of the Rings (you pick your version)

I want it to be good, but I'm hard pressed to find a reason for it to be anything really.

5. brimuchmuze

brimuchmuze Forum Resident

I don't think I could suspend my disbelief for this one.

6. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Deuce66 and thestereofan like this.
  7. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

As someone said, the trailers were incomprehensible. This is why stars are worth their money, if Christian Bale or Amy Adams had shown their pretty faces, you'd naturally be more interested. I don't think you can depend on Hugo Weaving to carry a movie.

8. jeroemba

jeroemba Forum Resident

The script is very poorly written. The characters are walking clichés and i never cared for them because the film never take the time to deepen their personnality or to bond with them. It's one action scene after the other. I think that they crammed together too much things in 2 hours. It could have been so much better with at least an additional 30 minutes.

digdug67 likes this.
  9. digdug67

digdug67 Hockley's Hits Here! Thread Starter

At least you saw the film before you posted your review - that makes two of us! :)

jeroemba likes this.
  10. jeroemba

jeroemba Forum Resident

I must add that i've read the books before watching the film, and i really enjoyed them, that's why i had high expectations about the movie.

11. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

Vidiot likes this.
  12. Mirrorblade.1

Mirrorblade.1 Forum Resident

I didn't a real point for making this movie in first place..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.