Morton Feldman recommendations

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by sberger, Oct 21, 2017.

1. misterjones

misterjones Smarter than the average bear.

I read somewhere that the slower Flux version is closer to what Feldman intended. But that may just be Flux's view.

One CD at a time is about it for me. I don't think I could sit still for a 4-5 hour string quartet.

I forget how I decided upon Flux's SQ1, but it is sitting on my shelf unopened. The primary reason is that I'm slowly working on a surround sound system, and I read the 5.1 version of the Flux SQ1 is like "walking around inside of the quartet". We'll see. With that version, you also have the option of listening to the entire quartet uninterrupted. I don't know if their SQ2 has either or both of these features.

hvbias likes this.
  2. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

I believe SQ2 DVD-A is stereo only. I can't recall which performance of SQ1 I heard, another extremely fine piece from Feldman in ways even better than SQ2. I imagine it is quite interesting hearing this in surround, unfortunately our home theater speakers are on the B&W/Wilson unnatural etched midrange/treble side of things so I don't ever use them for music all that much, a handful of discrete surround mixes that are just too amazing is about the extent of it.

One of the ENT surgeons in our listening group likes to share music related research in medicine (some very interesting things as it pertains to Alzheimers), maybe some research on listening to a 5 hour ambient string quartet on brain wave activity is needed :D

misterjones likes this.
  3. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

This week I've been listening to this CD of For John Cage that came out this year, it's a really great performance.

[​IMG]

4. misterjones

I wasn't sure Tilbury was still active. I'd like to see a reissue of his All Piano box (at a reasonable price, of course).

hvbias likes this.
  5. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

Definitely one of the better Feldman pianists I have heard and this might just be my favorite performance of For John Cage.

I have his opera Neither on the way, this is one of those Feldman pieces I immediately loved.

Edit: it seems like he only has the one recording on Another Timbre from several years ago

jaxpads likes this.
  6. Vangro

Vangro Forum Resident

I saw him performing just before the pandemic broke! As well as piano (of course), he was doing some spoken word stuff. He looked in fine fettle but he is in mid-80s though. Also saw him with AMM at the end of 2019.

Mike Ga likes this.
  7. misterjones

Finally got around to listening to this. (My surround sound system is only a couple weeks old.) Great stuff. I'm not in one place while listening (as I am moving around my living room). I'll have to set it up with a proper balance and me in the middle at some point.

Sordel likes this.
  8. Sordel

Sordel Forum Resident

Once you've heard it can you please come and give some impressions in the Surrounded on Sundays thread run by @mark winstanley? We've been trying to cover some of the many Classical multichannel recordings there recently.

misterjones and mark winstanley like this.
  9. misterjones

Will do. Looks like great thread!

10. jaxpads

jaxpads Friendly Listener

Gave this a listen last night. The only part that disappointed me (not the performer) was there are certain violin passages that really call out my failing hearing at higher pitches.

misterjones likes this.
  11. misterjones

In his first string quartet, there are some extremes as well (often very loud passages that I need to turn down).

jaxpads likes this.
  12. misterjones

I noticed the Dolby 5.1 cuts these loud passages down to a more listenable level. The 2.0 and DTS 5.1 are too loud IMO. I have no idea why the Dolby does that, but I’m glad it does. The less loud portions sound the same on all three.

jaxpads likes this.
  13. jaxpads

I guess my ears are better attuned to “The Viola In My Life”. I am very fond of the ECM recording.

misterjones likes this.
  14. misterjones

I’m not sure I’ve heard that one.

15. jaxpads

misterjones likes this.
  16. misterjones

Finally got around to finishing his second string quartet, while still in the middle of For Philip Guston. They strike me as excellent companion pieces . . . though maybe there’s a common thread throughout Feldman’s works.

17. misterjones

John Porcellino and Electric like this.
  18. Fremad

Fremad Forum Resident

In terms of a memorable performance that I think captures Feldman's vision perfectly. You can't go past FLUX Quartet's "String Quartet No. 2" IMO.

But you'll need to make the time to focus if you want to experience the whole recording in one session.

misterjones likes this.
  19. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

I've had the first string quartet and For Bunita Marcus in my heavy rotation recently. Ives Ensemble and Marc-Andre Hamelin respectively, not sure if I want to buy the Hamelin recording, the reverberance still bugs me though in a way it adds to the mystique. Sadly Aki Takahashi's recording has even more reverberance. I've also been listening to more John Cage, namely Two^2 and ended up finding the box set of his complete piano works played by Steffen Schleiermacher.

It was my first time hearing the Hat Hut recording of Cage's Winter Music. Holy dynamic range! I'm glad I only had this on at a background listening level, I now know to play this one at lower volumes :)

misterjones likes this.
  20. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

The more I listen to the first string quartet the more this is starting to become one of my favorite second half of the 20th century pieces. I suppose I'll have to track down the Flux Quartet CD, if anyone is looking to sell that feel free to PM me :D

misterjones likes this.
  21. misterjones

I have it, but it is not for sale. I still have to listen to it in surround-sound. I'm waiting for when I can have some peace and quiet!

hvbias likes this.
  22. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

Please do post what you think of it after hearing it.

misterjones likes this.
  23. misterjones

I read it's like being inside of the quartet, presumably meaning wide instrument separation. But the one time I tested it, my settings likely weren't correct. Now we're in air conditioning season, and that's a non-starter for Feldman. I'm in the market for a house, and total silence in such a setting is what one needs. City apartment living with noisy neighbors, barking dogs and farting cars doesn't cut it (pun intended).

hvbias likes this.
  24. Fremad

Fremad Forum Resident

Agree with the above.

A silent setting without distractions is pretty important when listening to Feldman's work, IMO.

hvbias and misterjones like this.
  25. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

I liked his performance in Young Frankenstein.

(Sorry. I tried to resist but...I...just...couldn't.)

peter1 likes this.