Most Affordable SACD/CD Players

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by VinylSoul, Oct 27, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. VinylSoul

VinylSoul Forum Resident Thread Starter

Any recommendations? How much do I need to spend?

bhazen likes this.
  2. formbypc

formbypc Forum Resident

New or used?

3. bruce2

bruce2 Forum Resident

$1200 new for Arcam CDS50 or Denon 1600. $1300 for Yamaha CD S1000.

Carlox, sushimaster and bhazen like this.
  4. vinylontubes

vinylontubes Forum Resident

Look for a used one. Most people bought these and didn't even know that they were SACD capable. Most Sony Blu-Ray players included this capability. I would think you can find one for $20 if you get lucky. People really don't have the need for optical disk players these days.

5. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

Most recently, Pioneer PD10 springs to mind, but can't comment on the sound quality.

6. formbypc

formbypc Forum Resident

I've got a Pioneer DVD-565, which I've had for many years. It handles CD, mp3, DVD-A and SACD.

I could have bought another one, in working condition, on UK eBay for £5 recently. 5 pounds sterling.

That's the same price as a set of guitar strings.

I'll leave you to do the currency conversion. There must be similar machines floating around the used market in your territory...

7. Apesbrain

Apesbrain Forum Resident

Sony UBP-X1100ES if you need analog out: $500.
    Sony UBP-X800M2 if HDMI out will do: $250.

8. Litejazz53

Litejazz53 Perfect Sound Through Crystal Clear Digital

I would probably give the brand new Marantz a shot, looks like a very nice SACD player! I believe it is available in silver or black.

Marantz - SACD 30n SACD/CD Player

dennis the menace and bruce2 like this.
  9. StimpyWan

StimpyWan Forum Resident

Not a huge amount of choices. Especially, if you want analog and digital connections, and not just HDMI. For the price, the Sony UBP-X1100ES (as recommended by @Apesbrain), is one of few "affordable" options.

Crutchfield

Oh, if you don't mind used, Pioneer had a number of players, that were capable of CD, DVD, SACD & DVD-A. My Pioneer DVD-A563 is till going strong. Just no Blu-ray support.

Sterling1 likes this.
  10. DavidR

DavidR Forum Resident

11. Litejazz53

12. JakeKlas

JakeKlas Impatiently waiting for an 8-track revival

13. Dr. J.

Dr. J. Music is in my soul

Yes! For most people these two players will do well. I love my Sony UBP-X1000ES (the previous version), which allows me to play Flac, Wav and DSD files flawlessly, including mutichannel. I am a Sony SACD fan boy though since it's almost guaranteed that their player do not do a DSD ==> PCM conversion. It's all about pure DSD for me.

Sterling1 and 4_everyman like this.
  14. GoldprintAudio

GoldprintAudio Forum Resident

There's several good new options from Denon, Marantz and Yamaha from around the $1200 price point to the $2500 price point.

15. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

Litejazz53 likes this.
  16. Nephrodoc

Nephrodoc Forum Resident

I’m looking at this model as well. If I output from the analog out to my integrated, what sound quality would I get?

17. Dr. J.

Dr. J. Music is in my soul

If the newer model is anything like the old, it is very good. My older Sony DVD players with SACD capabilities are more resolving and airy on the top end but the UBP-X1000ES has better bass and is more natural sounding. The former players hit you right away with the wow factor but it can be too much sometimes. Personally, I think the DSD files playback is incredible. The only thing I don't know about is whether you need to have a monitor. Occasionally, I have caught the player defaulting the settings sometimes, and there is no way I know of to select the CD layer on the remote.

Sterling1 and Nephrodoc like this.
  18. Litejazz53

I agree 100%, silver is the way to go! :righton:

19. TarnishedEars

TarnishedEars Forum Resident

If I were in the market for a new SACD player, I'd buy one of these units. I really like that they included a Heos streamer in the package.

20. bruce2

bruce2 Forum Resident

I don't think the Denon 2500 is sold in the U.S. We get either the 1600, or the A110 which I don't think is available yet, but should be soon.

21. TarnishedEars

TarnishedEars Forum Resident

Stupid me. I thought that he was referring to that new Marantz SACD player above, not the Denon. The Marantz is the unit that I was referring to finding attractive.

bruce2 likes this.
  22. BDC

BDC Forum Resident

I have that Denon 1600 and love it...Listening to it now

23. footprintsinthesand

footprintsinthesand Reasons to be cheerful part 1

I've had the silver Pioneer 565A since it was introduced.
    Less than a year ago I spotted a Pioneer 656A, which also plays those discs and is pretty much the black version. Bought that one for future backup at the thrift store for € 10, complete with remote and manual book.

Carlox, Ignominious and c-eling like this.
  24. Ignominious

Ignominious Knock and Know All!

Great value for money currently - I recently acquired a Pioneer 565A for £2.29 and a Pioneer 656A (described as a 565A on the ad) for just 99p primarily for the DVD-A playback capabilities. They were being sold as for parts only but both work flawlessly. The 565A looks to be the 656A in a more compact package and is barely used. I picked up a remote for £2.29 so I think it is a bargain piece of audio equipment. No HDMI output so you will most likely need to use an RCA to HMDI converter to hook it up to a modern tv (unless you have an AV Receiver) but these are not expensive either.

25. Ignominious

Ignominious Knock and Know All!

I've also purchased a second hand Sony SCD XE800 2 channel SACD/CD player. A budget item in the Sony range from 2010/2011 that I don't think was released in the USA. I think it retailed for about £189. I have to say that the sound from this unit is excellent and is a notch up from the SACD playback on the Pioneer 565A/656A.

Brother_Rael likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.