Most Complex Adam Sandler Film?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by S. P. Honeybunch, May 7, 2023.

1. S. P. Honeybunch

S. P. Honeybunch Presidente de Kokomo, Endless Mikelovemoney Thread Starter

Some of his films are more simple comedic affairs with not much in the way of character depth or complexity of plot. Which film rises above them all in terms of complexity of character or plot? Which gives the audience a film that tests their minds?

905 likes this.
  2. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader

Not a big Adam Sandler fan but I've seen a fair number of his movies.
    'Uncut Gems' was quite good.

deadcoldfish and Chris DeVoe like this.
  3. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

I would say Reign Over Me. May be debatable if that is an "Adam Sandler movie" but his part and performance were quite complex and moving IMO..

4. MichaelH

MichaelH Forum Resident

Punch-drunk love, Reign over me and Spanglish are my personal favorite Sandler performances. All theee are incredibly different from his usual stuff, but well worth seeing him in.

5. irong

irong Forum Resident

Sandler can be a good actor, but I feel most of the time he is content to just fool around with his pals in dumb comedies.

That being said, here are a few I'd recommend:

Uncut Gems - Quite a complex plot. On a formal level, this is an incredible movie, but it can generate high levels of anxiety and discomfort in some viewers (I know people who had to turn the movie off because of that).

Punch-Drunk Love - My favorite Sandler character.

Meyerowitz Stories - He is part of a strong ensemble cast in this one (Dustin Hoffman, Emma Thomson, Adam Driver...), so it's not so much a Sandler-centered story, but it's a good, subtle family drama.

MichaelH likes this.