Most disappointing follow up album

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Haristar, Mar 28, 2020.

1. Jmac1979

Jmac1979 Forum Resident

admittedly I had a lapse in judgment in taste in the mid-2000s, around this time I liked Pink and John Mayer too lol. But Maroon 5 definitely devolved as time went on and Adam realized nobody was actually coming to concerts to hear him sing but for 30-50 year old soccer moms to throw their panties at and he started making the worst pop music imaginable.

DTK likes this.
  2. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

It's the same for me. Starting from Diamond Dogs is where Bowie became totally unique and interesting. Darker, more complex, more foreign, and I'm talking about the mentality rather geography.

pwhytey and Jmac1979 like this.
  3. Jmac1979

Jmac1979 Forum Resident

I will admit (I was born in 1979 so I came into Bowie way late... circa 1996-1997) that with the mid-late 70s stuff being the first Bowie albums I absorbed, actually feeling a bit underwhelmed by Ziggy when I got around to it because it felt so primitive compared to Station To Station and the Berlin trilogy. I understand why it has its fans, but the "collectively agreed upon greatest Bowie album ever?",not to me.

Snark and DTK like this.
  4. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

Yeah but "Art Lover" is clearly written from the view of a paedophile. There's no way that Ray is speaking literally here!

Ray29 likes this.
  5. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

I'm born in 1977, so the videos from Let's Dance are my first Bowie memory. And then Never Let Me Down was huge, my brother bought it. First Bowie album I bought for my own money was Tin Machine in 1989 :). It's only the last 15 years that I picked up and discovered the rest.

Jmac1979 likes this.
  6. pwhytey

pwhytey Forum Resident

:wave:

'It Ain't Easy' completely ruins Ziggy's flow for me. I usually skip it. It should've been dumped for 'Velvet Goldmine'.

7. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

Eurrghh! I'll give that one a miss!

8. BluesOvertookMe

BluesOvertookMe Forum Resident

Well, that's a theory! :laugh:

Man at C&A likes this.
  9. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

I feel exactly the same. I didn't buy another Depeche Mode album afterwards. I've picked up a couple from afterwards up cheap recently though. Ultimately though, essential Mode is up to and including Violator to me. I hated the dickhead junkie crap rock star era Dave Gahan went through. Totally off-putting. Happily it was a phase he got through.

TheLastVoice likes this.
  10. edrebber

edrebber Forum Resident

III Wishes - Shooting Star

11. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

No matter how bad you feel about 'It Ain't Easy', 'Velvet Goldmine' would've ruined the album :)

'It Ain't Easy' works as a kind of interlude track that does not interrupt the flow.
    'Velvet Goldmine' would have created a rupture in the album.

IMO :)

12. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

I don't think Velvet Goldmine is a very good song.

mr.datsun and rednoise like this.
  13. Mirrorblade.1

Mirrorblade.1 Forum Resident

After Richard Marx's Emotional Remains we get a Beautiful Goodbye a cd
    that is lacking in in so many ways many have called his divorce cd.
    I own everyone of his cds this was such a let down.
    I will never buy a cd of his again.

14. bonzo59

bonzo59 Forum Resident

Consider me a naive conoisseur:)
    Always like Rev.9 for what it is. And i know very well what it is...and what it's not. This make of me "the connoisseur"
    But it scared me to death when i was young, and was (is) a great fun to listen in the dark and then the Goodnight comes like a lullaby. This makes of me "the naive"
    It's simply a lovely waste of space, but i like it
    About Radiohead, i think Kid A is a masterpiece and i think OK Computer is not. Simple as that
    Music is all about emotion to me, it strikes me in a mysterious way and i trust my emotions, never be too much "mental" about music. "Bitches Brew" strikes me at the age of 14 and now i'm 61, and it strikes me now as then every time in a different way.
    I got a lot of hours of music on my back and i never lost that emotional approach. i sit down, close my eyes and waiting for the wave to come...or not.
    I'm naive...maybe, but with great experience;)

Last edited: Mar 31, 2020
  15. JerryTurcotte

JerryTurcotte Forum Resident

Actually, I loved those albums too. But I think they did'nt stand the test of time.

carlwm likes this.
  16. Isaac K.

Isaac K. Forum Resident

No it isn’t, and he is being literal, but it’s still cringy because it’s so hard to believe that it ISN’T from the POV of a pedophile.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2020
    Gratefully Deadicated and tages like this.
  17. rednoise

rednoise Senior Member

Nor do I. It's an interesting curio and functions well as a bonus track, but the song and performance irritates me.

18. Stephen Grayce

Stephen Grayce Well-Known Member

The Gorillaz album "Plastic Beach" was a real letdown for me as it went full hip-hop at the expense of the quirkiness and variety that made "Demon Days" so addictive.

Snark likes this.
  19. blackdograilroad

blackdograilroad Forum Resident

CSNY- Looking Forward.

CSN(Y)’s problem is that they began with two BRILLIANT albums which would always be hard to top. The 1977 CSN ‘boat’ album while not quite up to the standard of the first two was very good and a worthy successor. Since then they’ve all been ‘three good tracks or so’ albums......the problem with THIS one is that superior material (Crosby’s ‘Climber’, for one) was left off the album so some members got a bigger slice of the publishing.....I mean THIS track is a pretty enough song but it belongs NOWHERE NEAR a CSNY album.....

20. Ray29

Ray29 Forum Resident

From the easy listening number one hit song Heart of Gold, to follow up Time Fades Away LP-is going over the cliff. He purposely wrecked his new car in a sense and we love him for it.

Kingsley Fats and Jmac1979 like this.
  21. Rockerbox

Rockerbox Senior Member

The boring, dead sounding "Alice Cooper Goes To Hell" following the masterpiece "Welcome To My Nightmare"
    "Alice Cooper Goes To Hell"=Police Academy 8 ...and while "..Nightmare" was a great sounding album sonically "Goes To Hell" is one of the flatest sounding records ever made.

22. SKATTERBRANE

SKATTERBRANE Forum Resident

As for Radiohead, I had ALL their albums in the expanded 2 CD form. Now I only own The Best of and Kid A. So I guess I like Kid A.

23. SKATTERBRANE

SKATTERBRANE Forum Resident

I COMPLETELY agree. I never understood the attraction to Exile. Sounds like a bunch of drunks signing in the alley to me.

24. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader

Creepy album cover too. Crappy album too.

25. rednoise

rednoise Senior Member

I guess they must be BLIND drunks, eh?
    ;)