Most physically 'ripped' male musician?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Panther, Oct 25, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

Yeah you could be right. But "ripped" is usually interpreted as fit, right?
    Iggy in 1974 was totally ripped, and also a severe junkie.

Jarleboy, No Bull and steelinYaThighs like this.
  2. steelinYaThighs

steelinYaThighs "I'll be dancin' on Diamonds..."

Agreed. The Marky Mark gig--and really the Calvin Klein gig--were Wahlberg's "right place, right time, right person" moment. He definitely made the most of His opportunities--and He's a pretty solid actor when operating within His range.

- siyt

3. JosepZ

JosepZ Digital knight of the analog masters

Yeah, so was Kiedis for most of the 80s and at least half the 90s. Genetics play a big part on it too.

ARK, steelinYaThighs and DTK like this.
  4. Ginger Ale

Ginger Ale Snackophile

Upper body, okay. Somewhat lacking in the leg department.

Mark Farner? Maybe. I'd have to take another gander when I have time.

Cannot stand the present-day 'roid look. And you can always tell who's juiced. :hurlleft:

DTK, JosepZ and steelinYaThighs like this.
  5. JosepZ

Not always, but there are telling signs. Bloated look, excessive vascularity, redness on the skin, sometimes a bloated gut with ripped abs on top...
    If that's what you have in mind, then I agree. Ugly.

DTK and steelinYaThighs like this.
  6. Uuan

Uuan Forum Resident

7. CliffL

CliffL Forum Resident

I came here to post Lenny Kravitz...I see you are taking care of it!

Jarleboy likes this.
  8. majorlance

majorlance Forum Resident

Silly me — I thought this was a music forum, not Playgirl or Tiger Beat!
    :doh:

9. steelinYaThighs

The biggest physical "tell" of juicing is the bloating and that redness on the skin. The heavyweights (> 200 lbs.) look nine-months pregnant because of the bloat--despite their abs. Former Mr. Olympia Ronnie Coleman epitomized this look.

I didn't bother to take into consideration any known juicers or the hip-hopsters--the latter sure like saucing up more than actually going in and banging out the heavy iron in the free weights section.

- siyt

DTK and Ginger Ale like this.
  10. mr. steak

mr. steak Forum Resident

1985:
    THE BOSS PUTS REAL MUSCLE IN HIS MUSIC

11. poe_man

poe_man Senior Member

Sexy sax man Tim Cappello

12. JosepZ

Yeah, Coleman is the poster guy but I think it started to take off with Dorian Yates. That's when mass became the focus. No more Frank Zanes anymore I guess...
    Anyway, I wasn't referring to bodybuilding pros, they are all on drugs anyway (although old timers like Oliva, Arnold, Zane and Franco Columbu were on Dianabol and a few more things and didn't look like that). I meant smaller guys might be on steroids too, like the late model Zyzz and the like. Or smaller wrestlers like Ravishing Rick Rude. It's not always that easy to tell. I bet Ed Norton got juiced for American History X, but that look is achievable without PEDs.
    This reminded me of Carrot Top. Freaky as hell!

13. steelinYaThighs

You're right about Yates--and he was just as grotesque as Coleman.

I agree with You as it relates to professional bodybuilders who do it for a living: they're all "chemically enhanced;" what is remarkable is seeing the phenomenon bleed over into other arenas, especially Hollywood. You see this with guys like Zac Efron.

Re: Ed Norton/A.H.X.: concur--that's a juice job straight up. Norton's a great actor, but he was never an ironpumper type. I think Brad Pitt did this for his role as Achilles in Troy, too. Medicating makes it easy; however, the juicers' physiques also lack a "hardness" that comes with doing heavy kettlebell work, or compound exercises, grinding it out week after week.

- siyt

Moonbeam Skies, Ginger Ale and JosepZ like this.
  14. JosepZ

Yep, sarcoplasmic hypertrophy I think it's called. Lots of fluid in the muscle cells. Bloated look without the tightness of "real" athletes. That seems to be the result of steroids combined with insulin and human growth hormone, all contributing to the bloated guts.
    I'm curious about what did you see on Zac Efron. Has he become hulkier lately? I remember him as a skinny teen and then the ripped guy from that Baywatch movie a few years ago...

steelinYaThighs likes this.
  15. Ginger Ale

Ginger Ale Snackophile

Zane had balance.

16. JosepZ

Yep. Don't you miss that?

17. Ginger Ale

Ginger Ale Snackophile

Indeed.

He was also, I believe, a math teacher,

18. JosepZ

They called him "the chemist" though. Wonder why that was?:D

19. steelinYaThighs

Bingo, Sir! It's the HGH that really gives the users that pregnancy silhouette.

I haven't read anything or seen anything that explicitly confirmed his usage of certain "agents;" however, I recall Efron as You do--it seems like He went (literally overnight!) from being the skinny kid in the High School Musical films to being this jacked, Muscle Beach type in the Baywatch film. Yes, he was absolutely sliced and incredibly defined for the role, but I recall him actually having some decent bulk given his otherwise diminutive stature--like, the kind of bulk put on quickly courtesy the chemicals. I also think--in His specific case--that the bulk up wasn't just for a film role; I suspect it was overcompensation for the cracks He received being a teen star, etc. I could be wrong about Him, but I don't think He got that physique together simply by doing bench presses and eating Wheaties.

- siyt

20. JosepZ

Exactly, and that is why I said it's not that easy to tell who's on the juice. Last time I checked he looked like a CK model. Not very bulky but muscular and very well defined. Not bloated at all, tiny waist and hard look, like he suddenly got into calisthenics with the Barstarzz guys. No visible gynaecomastia either. But I suspect you're right and he got chemically enhanced.

steelinYaThighs likes this.
  21. steelinYaThighs

Totally agree with everything above. I think whereas some guys train heavy and eat heavy strictly for bulk purposes, I think Efron was slick enough--and probably with assistance from the best personal trainers and nutritionists money can buy--to not only train hard (such as using an HIIT approach), and to keep the meals protein-laden and small--thus accounting for the tiny waist and Apollonian midsection. That's the real trick most people forget--training is great and it helps keep the fat off the physique; however, the other half of the equation is eating every couple of hours, and keeping those protein-packed meal portions small. And this regimen doesn't allow for doughnuts or kettlecooked potato chips. ;)

- siyt

22. Lownote30

Lownote30 Bass Clef Addict

At his age??? It's not that easy unless you've been doing it your whole life, and he definitely hasn't. To get like he is, you'd have to eat basically only protein, and lift weights all day. I really suspect some sort of steroids... like Dr. Dre.

23. JosepZ

Well, Dre's change was just insane. Lots of muscle mass added to his frame. Maybe you're right but I don't honestly see them as equally dramatic.

Lownote30 likes this.
  24. Lownote30

Lownote30 Bass Clef Addict

Look at Phil circa the Hysteria tour. His physique then makes it unbelievable that he achieved what he has recently via natural means.

25. JosepZ

But... Hysteria was in the 80s, right?
    Has his change been gradual or sudden?
    I'm not that familiar with DL honestly...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.