Mother Love Bone?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Osthagen, Dec 18, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Osthagen

Osthagen Forum Resident Thread Starter

Love-rock extraordinaires. The predecessor to Pearl Jam, fronted by the eccentric Andrew Wood.

I haven’t really heard this band spoken of much on these forums. But I really enjoy their music, more so than their successors Pearl Jam. My favourite song is Stargazer. I was wondering if there was any love for these guys on here?

2. Jeff Kent

Jeff Kent Forum Resident

Very much so. Andrew was a true original...one of the many shining stars of Seattle who left us too early.

3. Osthagen

Is true. What a loss to the industry :cry:

4. dadonred

dadonred Life’s done you wrong so I wrote you all this song

Like them but the white vinyl reissue is crap.

5. Jeff Kent

Jeff Kent Forum Resident

If you haven't seen this yet, take a look. It was released when Apple came out...sad.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2018
    wdiv, widespot and Mechanical Man like this.
  6. McWolfred

McWolfred The power of the riff compels you!

Chloe Dancer - Crown of Thorns is always my favourite. When Pearl Jam cover it its always the peak of their set!

smokeverbs and Papi Hipbone323 like this.
  7. Jeff Kent

Jeff Kent Forum Resident

Now I'm watching the above video and I'm sad...

8. grbl

grbl Just Lurking

Great band! So sad that Andrew passed away just when they were about to make it big. I remember hearing that they were going to be the next big thing and buying the album and then he was gone.

Jeff Kent likes this.
  9. Jeff Kent

Jeff Kent Forum Resident

Chris Cornell's roommate too...

Papi Hipbone323 likes this.
  10. Jeff Kent

Jeff Kent Forum Resident

11. FourWalledWorld

FourWalledWorld Forum Resident

Such a great band even if they were ultimately short-lived.

12. Duke Fame

Duke Fame Sold out the Enormodome

Always liked them and thought they were the link between the 80's metal scene and the 90's "grunge" scene (whatever you want to call it).

I remember watching the Metal Evolution series by Sam Dunn and IIRC he said that Soundgarden was the band that linked the two scenes, but I always thought it was MLB. To me they have a bit of sunset strip to them.

13. TheLoveDrags

TheLoveDrags Forum Resident

Huge fan, right here!

Andre Acvedo and Osthagen like this.
  14. Osthagen

Soundgarden bridged Grunge more with Thrash/Doom Metal acts like Metallica, Iron Maiden, Ozzy, Venom etc, while it was Mother Love Bone who bridged the gap between Grunge and Glam/Pop Metal.

Though obviously the thing about MLB that made them so good and so different was that they were a LOT more than just a Grunge/Metal band. For a band with such a short career, their style varied massively. A song like Stargazer, for example, is a 70s-Glam-tinged Folk-Rock ballad that you'd see few Metal/Hard Rock acts doing at the time. Same thing with Bone China or Crown Of Thorns. Heartshine is a solid slice of Funk Rock. Apple is one of those albums which has something for everyone.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2018
  15. DPK

DPK Forum Resident

I'm a big fat Pearl Jam fan but for some reason I never made an effort to explore the guys' pre-PJ stuff. Next month's Green River deluxe reissues will likely prompt a deep dive into what the guys were up to before PJ, including of course MLB.

ian christopher likes this.
  16. Saint Johnny

Saint Johnny Forum Resident

I saw them a whole bunch a times opening for Dogs D'Amour in NY area. Kinda befriended Andrew for a short time, as well. A true rock n roll original. And a really genuine, kind hearted soul!!
    Man they were soo good, and kinda ahead of their time in a nostalgic kinda way.

17. Zoot Marimba

Zoot Marimba And I’m The Critic Of The Group

Funny thing, I love PJ but for some reason I went a long time without checking these guys out. I finally dig a couple years ago.

I really should do a review of these guys at some point.

ian christopher likes this.
  18. Jachay

Jachay Forum Resident

Stardog Champion, great tune. First one I heard from them and it resonates with me the most..

19. Mechanical Man

Mechanical Man I Am Just a Mops

Amazing band, they shined brightly and burned out fast. I still contend that "Come Bite the Apple" is one of the all-time great rock songs; up there with anything their heroes from the 70s put out.

I enjoyed Pearl Jam quite a bit initially, but their career to me is synonymous with the law of diminishing returns. I miss Andrew Wood.

20. JJFlash

JJFlash Forum Resident

Apple is still one of my favorite and most listened to CDs.

21. Andre Acvedo

Andre Acvedo Sargento Primero

They were such a great band. Man of Golden Words, Stardgog Champion, Gentle Groove, Crown Of Thorns etc..I came to them post Pearl Jam and I listen to them now more than PJ. Pearl Jam only made two great records, Vs & Vitalogy.. The rest are mostly forgettable. Andy Wood was so much more talented than Eddie Vedder.

Osthagen, Duke Fame and AlexDelarge like this.
  22. Andre Acvedo

Andre Acvedo Sargento Primero

Shame Vedder can't do it justice

FourWalledWorld likes this.
  23. AlexDelarge

AlexDelarge Forum Resident

Love Mother Love Bone, they would have been huge! Wood had a unique delivery and Stone was crafting some great songs. I think the Mother Love Bone songs that were done at The Temple of the Dog reunion shows were a highlight.

Zoot Marimba and Andre Acvedo like this.
  24. aroney

aroney Who really gives a...?

Yep, always one of my favs too! For those who are unfamiliar:

Jachay, Clonesteak and Osthagen like this.
  25. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

Excellent band with lot of potential which for obvious reasons couldn't be fully exploted. Some of their unreleased material is more interesting than what they put on record during their short time of existence.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.