Motorhead's "Deaf Forever" - what's with the weird drums at the beginning?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by warewolf95, May 31, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. warewolf95

warewolf95 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Exactly as the title says.

Anyone know anything about this? Is it just a bad edit? It sounds like the drums "skip" or something.

2. Maidenpriest

Maidenpriest Setting the controls for the heart of the sun :)

I don't hear drums skipping on my version which is the original Cd version from 'Orgasmatron' at exactly which point do you think it skips ?

warewolf95 likes this.
  3. warewolf95

Literally within the first seconds/beats of the song. It sounds like a digital skip when a cd is bumped or something.

I thought it was a production thing but maybe I just have a bad rip?

I have the 2006 2 disc edition

Grawlix likes this.
  4. Maidenpriest

Maidenpriest Setting the controls for the heart of the sun :)

Nope fine on mine, looks like you have a crap remaster

warewolf95 likes this.
  5. Terrapin Station

Terrapin Station Master Guns

There's a weird phasing on the hi-hat and what seems to be a backwards (slapback) echo on the snare. It's just them goofing around with effects during the production stage.

6. KDubATX

KDubATX A Darby Man Never Says When

This. Bill Laswell was getting a little crazy on this one.

Orgasmatron was recorded in London, then mixed in New York, all with Bill Laswell behind the boards. And while there are some really good songs on it, notably "Deaf Forever," "Mean Machine," "Ain't My Crime," and the immortal title track, the actual sound of the record is bizarre. Laswell has only worked on a few hard rock/metal albums — White Zombie's Make Them Die Slowly, Iggy Pop's Instinct, and the Ramones' Brain Drain are the big ones — and in every case, he's opted to turn the guitars into a semi-industrial buzz, bring the drums up until they're a crashing, avalanche-like roar, and fill the remaining space with bass frequencies that may or may not serve the actual song. Listening to one of his rock productions, you always get the feeling that if it was coming through speakers the size of bank vault doors, it would probably sound amazing, but on headphones or a normal stereo, it sounds weak and tinny. There are also weird moments of sonic crudity, like when everything but the drums drops out on "Claw" and the drums themselves sound pasted in, suddenly twice as loud as they were just a second ago. Still, the song "Orgasmatron" itself is so totally crushing that this album remains an essential, if less than perfect, listen.

warewolf95 likes this.
  7. warewolf95

Omg the production on Brain Drain - nevermind the lackluster material - is the main reason it's my least favorite Ramones album.

Zoot Marimba likes this.
  8. The Hud

The Hud Breath of the Kingdom, Tears of the Wild

I have the 2 disc Deluxe Edition and the single disc remaster. I will see if there is a difference when I get a chance.

warewolf95 likes this.
  9. Slice

Slice Fan Of Rock

I love this song.
    Horses scream, Viking dream, drowned heroes in a lake of blood
    Armoured fist, severed wrist, broken spears in a sea of mud.
    Vintage Lemmy, yo.
    Edit

warewolf95 and Maidenpriest like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.