Mott The Hoople Dutton Vocalian SACD With Surround Sound.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Safeway 1, Jan 26, 2021.

1. Safeway 1

Safeway 1 "mad, bad, and dangerous to know" Thread Starter

Not sure if this has been posted yet. Mott the Hoople's fantastic 3 album run of All the Young Dudes, Mott,
    and The Hoople are to be spread across a 2 disc set with The Hoople in Quad and the other 2 in SACD. I have all
    these in different releases but not Quad/SACD. Should be an interesting listen. Anyone else game?

Mott The Hoople Classics On 2SACD Set

2. giantleech

giantleech Lord of all fevers and plagues

Any Motthead with a lick o' sense is stoked to the max for this puppy. We're yapping about this one and others of the current batch of Dutton-Vocalion releases over in this ongoing thread: New Dutton-Vocalion Mch Sacd releases announced

Jarleboy and Safeway 1 like this.
  3. boggs

boggs Multichannel Machiavellian

I am waaaayyyy stoked for THE HOOPLE in quad !

Jarleboy, Joti Cover and Safeway 1 like this.
  4. jeffrey walsh

jeffrey walsh Senior Member

Thanks for posting, must buy!

Safeway 1 and boggs like this.
  5. Chest Pains Productions

Chest Pains Productions Forum Resident

The should have just did THE HOOPLE on one disc and made it $20 since the the 2 are not QUAD.

Rigoberto and Safeway 1 like this.
  6. uffeolby

uffeolby Senior Member

No, they shouldn't :D this is perfect for me who only have a best of Mott the Hoople. Good bang for my hi-rez bucks with the quadio as a nice bonus.

Jarleboy, Galactus2 and Safeway 1 like this.
  7. Braincapers

Braincapers Forum Resident

I bought it

Safeway 1 and boggs like this.
  8. hodgo

hodgo Tea Making Gort (Yorkshire Branch) Staff

How is the mastering, is it compressed or does have nice dynamic range? I ask because I wouldn't want to buy another set of loud and compressed set of Mott albums.

bobcat and sonnyrock like this.
  9. jeffrey walsh

jeffrey walsh Senior Member

Maybe an adjustment on this thread title, letting others know about the SACD/Surround features?

hodgo likes this.
  10. hodgo

hodgo Tea Making Gort (Yorkshire Branch) Staff

Sorted!

jeffrey walsh likes this.
  11. sddoug

sddoug Music Aficionado

I hate the albums not in chronological order. I hate they split All the Young Dudes across 2 discs. And I'll probably still buy it.

scobb, slipkid, NiceMrMustard and 2 others like this.
  12. tlake6659

tlake6659 Senior Member

Dutton Vocation doesn't use any digital compression to my knowledge. I have about 20 of their SACD releases.

siebrand, scobb, Joti Cover and 4 others like this.
  13. GregM

GregM The expanding man

I'm also stoked about the BTO and Grover Washington.

14. BRush

BRush Senior Member

I’m enjoying the quad mix of “The Hoople”. Lots of little differences from the stereo mix.

The Mott Live lp had a quad mix. I wonder why Michael Dutton chose to include stereo only Dudes & Mott lps.

It’s definitely worth the purchase. I have fond memories of the 1974 & 2019 tours.

Joti Cover likes this.
  15. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

Average DR 11 for The Hoople and Mott, DR 12 for All The Young Dudes. They sound great, the quad mix for Hoople is a little weird but I listened to it this afternoon at a very low volume (while otherwise occupied), it may benefit from more volume.

I noticed a slight gap between "Momma's Little Jewel" and "All The Young Dudes" when listening to the SACD layer. Kind of a bummer.

I'm listening to the stereo SACD layer of The Hoople right now, it sounds terrific.

I'm not disappointed that they aren't all quad mixes, it's worth it to have good SACD presentation of the stereo mixes of these albums.

Jarleboy, sharedon, bobcat and 3 others like this.
  16. Braincapers

Braincapers Forum Resident

According to Morgan Fisher the band had nothing to do with the quad mix and hated it when they heard it

elborak likes this.
  17. healter skealter

healter skealter Human animal

It's an insult cramming these 3 classic albums onto 2 CDs. How much extra would it have cost the cheapskates to give each of them their own CD? Pennies, is what. Then they could've added bonus tracks. Unbelievable!

slipkid likes this.
  18. Claus

Claus Senior Member

Do you how much it costs and licence SACDs? Yes, your posting is unbelievable!

siebrand, DrJ, scobb and 9 others like this.
  19. McWolfred

McWolfred The power of the riff compels you!

Who is it insulting exactly? Is swopping CDs any more of an insult than turning over the original LP?
    By taking the time to reissue the long lost Quad mix and making all 3 albums available in hi-res Id argue that it's far closer to being a tribute than an insult.
    Would we prefer individual discs? Yup. But I'd guess there are any number of business and licensing reasons for the way the release has been formatted (the most obvious being that pressing Sacd is more costly than pressing CD) , so certainly not gonna lose any sleep over it.

Jarleboy, Mick Jones, Tingman and 6 others like this.
  20. :crazy:

GregM, hodgo and Curiosity like this.
  21. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

My only complaints are the aforementioned gap between "Momma's Little Jewel" and "All The Young Dudes" (I did a rip of the CD layers and removed it on my FLAC files) and the fact that if I set up my SACD player to Multichannel it does not see the "Dudes" tracks on CD1. I would have preferred that all of the stereo-only albums appeared on Disc 2 for this reason, although this may be a quirk peculiar to my player. But these are quibbles. I got the three biggest MTH albums on SACD and they sound great. Much better than the Rhino CDs from several years ago. I don't really care about bonus tracks and I don't expect DV to license them.

22. stevef

stevef Senior Member

I'm in for the Mott 2SACD.

Dutton Vocation also has Art Garfunkel's first two solo albums, Angel Claire and Breakaway, available as Stereo/Quad SACDs.
    I believe I will have to acquire these first!

23. Joti Cover

Joti Cover Forum Resident

Don’t miss Breakaway whatever else - it’s truly a gem.

24. JohnT

JohnT Senior Member

Converted the SACD to pcm/flac and giving these 3 a listen.
    Yummy is all I got to say, even better than the LP.

[​IMG]

(haven't checked out the multi-channel yet)

Jarleboy and Braincapers like this.
  25. GregM

GregM The expanding man

I enjoyed it. I'm not very familiar with these albums and not qualified to comment on the sound relative to other versions but it seemed the standard (excellent) DV treatment. And I didn't mind having all the material on 2 discs, either.

sharedon likes this.