Mott The Hoople - "Mental Train: The Island Years" 6CD box set

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by sharedon, Aug 31, 2018.

1. Bob C

Bob C Forum Resident

$39.01 with free shipping from Amazon US. Time to pull the trigger!

2. Joti Cover

Joti Cover Forum Resident

It sure is! Best deal around I would say.

3. jh901

jh901 Forum Resident

So, is the mastering work satisfactory for the 4 studio album tracks? Best physical redbook?

4. jh901

jh901 Forum Resident

Whoa.

Just getting into the first studio album. Mastering work exceeds expectations! Hoping the rest is well done. If so, then shouldn't everyone be picking this up???

5. Joti Cover

yes! glad you scored! This is the release of the season...These sound great to my ears too.

smiley69 likes this.
  6. Joti Cover

I meant to reply to you and got myself instead....yes, this set is essential. Sounds wonderful for sure.
    Been playing it all month....happy listening!

smiley69 and jh901 like this.
  7. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

How does the 'Wild Life ' sound? Always thought that was underrated, even by Mott-sters. Especially 'Lay Down"

I don't have much (any) expectations for the others beyond sounding like Guy-Stevens -produced-Mott-chunks-of-shredded-tin-foil.

8. jh901

jh901 Forum Resident

10 pages.

Kate Bush thread pushing 200.

White Album?

Village Green?

Tull This Was?

C'mon, forum. If not here, where else is this set gonna sell!?

9. Terry

Terry Senior Member

Love it.

10. +1

Joti Cover likes this.
  11. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

I really like this set.

Joti Cover and Shvartze Shabbos like this.
  12. smiley69

smiley69 Forum Resident

Truly one of the best reissue of this year for me ! Great sound, lots of rarities and excellent booklet ! Got it for 35 € from www.fnac.fr, a bargain !

Joti Cover likes this.
  13. jh901

jh901 Forum Resident

First two studio albums very well mastered. Hope enough members discover it!

Joti Cover and John Fell like this.
  14. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

I created this cdr of some of my favorite rarities from the tracks the were included and left off of the box set. They are all vocal versions of the tracks.

1. If Your Heart Lay With A Rebel (Would You Cheer The Underdog?) (Vocal version) - Omitted from set
    2. Little Christine
    3. You Really Got Me (Vocal version)
    4. Road To Birmingham (Guy Steven's Mix)
    5. Moonbus (Baby's Got A Down)
    6. Going Home
    7. It Would Be A Pleasure - Omitted from set
    8. Keep A Knockin' (Studio version)
    9. Can You Sing The Song That I Sing? (Short version) - Omitted from set
    10. The Chosen Road - Omitted from set
    11. Growing Man Blues
    12. Surfin' U.K. - Omitted from set
    13. One Of The Boys (Island version)
    14. Till I'm Gone
    15. Long Red
    16. It'll Be Me - Omitted from set
    17. Ill Wind Blowing
    18. Downtown
    19. The Debt
    20. Midnight Lady (Vocal version) - Omitted from set
    21. Black Scorpio
    22. Movin' On

Black Hills wouldn't fit so I had to omit it.

15. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

So it sounds good?

16. Terry

Terry Senior Member

Oh, yeah.

Joti Cover likes this.
  17. Alien Reg

Alien Reg Forum Resident

I have taken the plunge - Midnight Lady or no Midnight Lady. I'm really looking forward to hearing these in decent sound.

18. Eaglesfan9

Eaglesfan9 Forum Resident

Saw these guys well over 50 times during that period. What a blast from the past this set is. The sound seems very good to my (67 year old) ears and the book has so much in it if you have any kind of connection to the band and the time that it all happened.
    Still remember that Albert Hall show that damaged the place. Rock music was banned for a while after that. They went back to the proms for a bit. Those Fairfield hall shows were good. They also used to play at a pub called the Greyhound which was only about 1/4mile away in Croydon.
    Indispensable box set and you can’t say that very often.

19. Whoopycat

Whoopycat Forum Resident

Comparing the mastering of Mad Shadows to my original US Atlantic CD, I find the mastering to be a bit on the shrill side. The Atlantic is more dynamic and smooth. The remaster is tipped up and peaky by comparison. Granted, none of these albums are sonic marvels, so YMMV. I'll have to dig out my original vinyl and compare both to that.

That said, stellar packaging on this. The ringwear and price stickers on the cardboard sleeves are a nice touch.

Alan2 likes this.
  20. Alan2

Alan2 Forum Resident

+2

Joti Cover and Shvartze Shabbos like this.
  21. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

Suggest anyone interested in the period of Mott dig up a copy of Ian's 'Diary of a R+R Star' which chronicles about a month on their life on tour as "Dudes" was breaking big. Ian is a savvy writer and observer, and comes across as sincere, petulant, contentious, generous., sympathetic, ambitious, humble, sometimes all at once. He seems to be especially close to Verdin Allen, surprisingly as 'Phally' was soon to quit. The real take away I got was how driven these guys were; not just to make it but by a working class ethic. It's never explictly said, but there's a clear sense there's not much left for these guys to go back too if the Mott thing doesn't work out.

It's also strange, humorous and sad, how poorly organized the tour is, compounded by it being in Nov-Dec, so weather is always a factor in transit. And being billed between, say, Eric Anderson and New Riders of the Purple Sage. Every page has a hilarious anecdote or wry and funny observation - Ian just can't seem to get enough of America and its pawnshops - and it make one long for a sequel or a memoir. Their story will probably nevre be made into a movie, but it could be a great one; ending as Ian walks out of the studio at the end of recording 'Saturday Gigs".

22. Geof

Geof Forum Resident

I hope there's eventually some official word as to whether they are planning to fix the Wildlife disc (also my favorite Mott album) and the "Midnight Lady" blunder, although understandably collectors would want to keep the rarity of the version accidentally included and not exchange the disc for a fixed one since the track is available elsewhere, but absolutely should've been included correctly here.

I also noticed on the back of the box, the track listing for Wildlife has track 9 "Keep a-Knockin'" listed as a bonus track, which of course it isn't, given it was the last track on the album. Additionally, the bonus track "Long Red" is credited as being written by Ian Hunter. Really? It's a track off the first Leslie West Mountain album, written by West, Felix Pappalardi, John Ventura and Norman Landsberg. You'd think multiple sets of eyes would proof these things before they go to press, but...

23. Joti Cover

Backordered on Amazon US and UK

24. agn

agn Forum Resident

Usually ships within 1 to 2 months.

25. agn

agn Forum Resident

Got mine from Amazon France last month.