Mounting Denon DL-110 onto Pioneer PL-550, headshell question

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Eyke42, Sep 2, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Eyke42

Eyke42 Well-Known Member Thread Starter

Hello all! :wave:

I just purchased a Denon DL-110 cartridge to replace my Blue Point. Reading around, cartridge mass, or apparent cartridge mass, seems to be an issue with the Denon. Looking at my owner's manual, the minimum cartridge weight is 4g, the Denon comes in a 4.8g, just a wee bit over the minimum.

Now, I have two headshells, the original Pioneer and a Marantz, same vintage that I somehow acquired all those years ago (still has the Pioneer PL-500 cartridge mounted!). I weighed both shells and the Pioneer comes in at 8.2g and the Marantz at 12.9g. Would it behoove me to use the Marantz to get some extra weight on the end of the arm? Oh, the Denon weight is 1.4g.

Thanks for your advice.

2. vinylkid58

vinylkid58 Forum Resident

So the internet seems to think the effective mass of your tonearm with stock headshell is around 15 grams, so that's the value I used in the resonance calc. on the vinylengine.com. I'm guessing (again) that the dynamic compliance of the DL-110 at 10Hz is around 12 x 10-6cm/Dyne, which puts you in the green (10Hz). Using the heavier Marantz headshell doesn't really affect the resonance much, so use whichever sounds the best.

jeff

Eyke42 likes this.
  3. Eyke42

Hello again

I used my Pioneer headshell since it was wired up already. I used the mass plate supplied with the cartridge, as well. I used Conrad Hoffman's template and the parameters suggested by harby (Effective Length with Cartridge Alignment).

The template was within .3mm of 100mm and got the cart tracing within the arc line and reasonably centered. All this whilst hanging over the table with a loupe and uncorrected astigmatism. The cart sounds really good in this setup. I find the bass to be very acceptable when required. It does not seem overly bright, tho, extra brightness is good with me, but cymbals seem to stand out well. I heard sounds that I thought were off, until I realized it was the drum stick bouncing on the snare and it's two quick taps.

I thought about futzing with the template and make it closer or exact 100mm, but as it is, I am 99.7ish and there's a point where reason falls to OCDness. Between old eyes and bad hearing, I'll just drive myself more nuts. It sounds wonderful and quiet.

Thank you vinylkid and those in my other thread.

Oh...and Margo Timmons does not have that extreme sibilance in Sweet Jane on The Trinity Sessions. :D I'll have to drop the needle on Michael Jackson's Billy Jean...mebby Shure's Audio Obstacle Course record...fun times.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2020
    elvisizer likes this.
  4. vinylkid58

vinylkid58 Forum Resident

Glad this worked out for you.:righton:

jeff

5. TSWisla

TSWisla Forum Resident

@Eyke42 do you still like the Denon with your PL-550? Have you tried anything else? I am considering it or an AT VM540ML.

6. Eyke42

@TSWisla, I am really enjoying the Denon cartridge. It has a really nice sound that doesn't seem to add or subtract from the recording. I have not tried anything else as I'm the one and done guy. ;) I'm sure the AT will be just a wonderful, with the added benefit of a replaceable stylus. Good luck. :)

TSWisla likes this.
  7. Eyke42

TSWisla likes this.
  8. TSWisla

TSWisla Forum Resident

Ugh, big disaster for me as usual. I will probably just get a DL-110 and call it a day. See this thread: Capacitance for AT VM540ML

9. Eyke42

Yes, I found that thread before I posted the needle drops. I hate the paralysis by analysis mode. :p I stopped with the OCD cartridge adjustment since I found the cart sounds pretty good, at least with these abused ears. I worked on it for a while and when it got looking good, I dropped it on a record and have been pleased. You will not be disappointed.

I'd be innerested on what you think of the raw drops.

Good luck.

10. TSWisla

TSWisla Forum Resident

I ordered the Denon. I am in the same shoes as you. And yes, the "paralysis by analysis" is something that I have been trying to get away from for years. I will check out the drops. Thank you so much for sharing and I will let you know how the Denon compares to my Nagaoka. All the best, thank you.

Eyke42 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.