Movie Ruthless People - a Funny Audio Reference

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by SVL, Dec 20, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SVL

SVL Forum Resident Thread Starter

I was watching the old comedy Ruthless People (Danny DeVito, Bette Midler) last night, and noticed something that I had not noticed before; the guy (played by Judge Reinhold), who kidnaps Midler's character, is an audio salesman that seems to follow more of an "audiophile" philosophy (e.g. bigger speakers are not necessarily better), and his name is Ken Kessler:)

Not a bad comedy, too.

2. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

I remember this comedy. Fortunately, someone else posted the key audiophile scenes on the Internet:

A customer walks into a Hi-Fi store with his girlfriend to help her make a decision on which speakers to purchase:

Boyfriend: See, that's what I've got (he says to his girlfriend as he points to the Definator X-1 speakers).

Girlfriend: Yes, it's really pretty.

(The salesman approaches)

Salesman: Over here we have a great speaker. Consumerphile Stereo has rated it "Best Buy."

Boyfriend: What do you think of this one? (Pointing to the Definator X-1s)

Salesman: The Definator is a GREAT marketing idea, but it's really not a good speaker. We give it a 500% markup and then discount it 50% off so the customer thinks he's getting a good deal and we still make a bundle.

Girlfriend: But it's so big and impressive.

Salesman: Size means very little. Bigger isn't necessarily better. I sound like Dr. Ruth Westheimer.

Girlfriend: You mean the Definator is like, a, um...

Salesman: Well, the Definator is popular with men who like to have...

Girlfriend: Bigger equipment?

Salesman: Exactly!

(Later in the movie, the same salesman has been rendered cynical when his kidnapping plot is undone by a husband who couldn't care less what happens to his wife.)

A young man with long hair, wearing laid back clothes, and a flannel shirt
    is wrapped around his waist enters the store:

Dude: Hey, YO! Wanna sell me a stereo?

Salesman: Yeah, I'll help ya'.

Dude: I'm lookin' for somethin' REAL HOT but I don't wanna get ripped off. Know what I mean?

Salesman: OK. You're lookin' for some REEEEEEALLY HOT speakers right? Not just somethin' you listen to, but something you can feeeeeeel, right?

Dude: YEAH !!!

Salesman: When it comes to a great stereo you can't beat BIG SPEAKERS. I'm talking big speakers with big woofers. Like this . . . You could get this speaker with a little eight inch woofer, or this one with a ten inch woofer. OR even this one with a twelve inch woofer. BUT I can see by the look on your face you want somethin' even bigger!

Dude: **** YEAH!!!

Salesman: **** YEAH is right! We gotta go to the "Big Room" for this.

(As the salesman and the dude walk into the room in the rear of the store. The salesman opens the door and exclaims...)

Salesman: THE BIG ROOM!!! The flagship of the Definator line. The PB-0002, I have a pair of these myself. THIRTY INCHES of thigh slappin', blood pumpin', nuclear brain damage!!!

Dude: Bitchin! What's it cost?

(As the salesman start to turn up some cool death metal rock at a really loud volume level)

Salesman: That's the beauty of it. If you can't afford it, ******' finance it! Who cares if it's as big as a Subaru and costs twice as much? You'll never have to upgrade it and when you die, you can be buried in 'em!

3. SVL

SVL Forum Resident Thread Starter

The big macho speakers in the movie do look impressive with at least five different size drivers;)

The name of the salesman character is sort of tongue-in-the cheek, because the real Ken Kessler was/is, of course, an audio reviewer for several British magazines.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.