Movie trilogies (or film series) you never finished?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Chrome_Head, Nov 24, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

that's another series people seem to enjoy hating and letting everyone else know they do...lots of laughs...I don't hate it, but following the flow my wife doesn't like it as well.

2. altaeria

altaeria Forum Resident

Whatever the most recent Star Wars movie was.... That's the only one that I haven't watched all the way through.

I've been a casual fan of the franchise since the original was released, but when I started watching the last one, it didn't hold my interest at all, so I simply bailed about a half-hour in.

Did I miss anything important? Maybe I was just in a cranky mood that night.

3. krisjay

krisjay Psychedelic Wave Rider

Star Wars, after one of the newer ones, that was it for me.

4. Chrome_Head

Chrome_Head Planetary Resident Thread Starter

I’d never seen any of The Hobbit films, but the first was on cable over the summer. I caught about 30-40 minutes worth and was actually surprised by how much action there was, but I didn’t bother watching all of it.

5. Saint Johnny

Saint Johnny Forum Resident

I have never seen more than 10 or 15 minutes of Godfather III. Though I have seen I and II perhaps 100 times, each.

And that's only because a friend MADE me watch III, as it was on when I got to his house, when I stopped by one night.
    He watched III all the time, as he has always loved it. I left after some stupid Andy Garcia outburst with Brigitte Fonda, IIRC.

I simply refuse to see it.

6. Chrome_Head

It’s worth seeing once but I barely remember a thing about it.

7. TwentySmallCigars

TwentySmallCigars Forum Resident

Me too. I always thought that it was just a rehashed western plot with space guys instead of cowboys.

When the second & third movies came out, all my friends told me that if I didn't really like the first one, I probably wouldn't like these, so I never got around to watching them. I always intended to one of these days but just never got around to it.

When the Phantom Menace came out, it got universally bad reviews so I pretty much wrote off the entire franchise. Nothing I've heard about since has caused me to rethink this decision.

8. Deibu

Deibu I Dream of Tangerines

There are three trilogies I can think of where I've ditched them after the first - Nolan Batman, Hunger Games and The Hobbit.

Nolan Batman was okay but just didn't do enough for me to be interested further. I barely remembered what happened in the story less than a year later.

The Hunger Games was just a bit silly to me. I tried it a couple of times, even bought the DVD, but the premise just didn't connect with me.

The Hobbit. Hooooo boy! I'm a big fan of the book and was already concerned with them stretching it to three films. I also got the DVD. Way too much padding with worthless new story elements. Making it feel like the Lord of the Rings - no real progression needed to get to the events of LotR. Difficult to suspend my disbelief with most of the action sequences - the worst being the barrel ride.

Regards,
    Dave

Last edited: Nov 26, 2021
    Moonbeam Skies likes this.
  9. tonyballz

tonyballz Roogalator

This will probably sound like heresy to some but I lost interest in Breaking Bad midway through the third season. I used to be a heavy speed freak and many of the scenes that were "shocking" to Middle America I had already lived through. Good show though, I may still finish it one day.

Oh yeah, I stopped watching The Office during the first season. I heard it improved for a while before it declined again. I have enjoyed a few later episodes but not enough to follow it. It's basically a romantic comedy and I'm not a huge fan of those.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2021
  10. Chrome_Head

I highly recommend the follow-up film The Dark Knight, if for nothing else than Heath Ledger's iconic (and posthomous Oscar-winning) portrayal of The Joker as basically a mad urban terrorist.

Yeah, I had a close friend that used to do meth who, early on when Breaking Bad was airing on TV, said he couldn't watch it because it made him crave it too much.

11. tonyballz

tonyballz Roogalator

I didn't have that problem, I just got bored with some of the story lines.

12. Claus LH

Claus LH Forum Resident

"Batman". I watched Burton's (which is interesting) and didn't bother with the 'sequels'.
    "Indy"...got to "Temple of Doom" and that was enough.
    "Jurassic Park": the first one was a complete story. Done with that.
    "Mad Max 1 and 2" are great. Don't need more.
    "Star Trek: TMP" is beautiful. I have had no interest in seeing the later re-milkings of the series.
    "James Bond": I saw everything until Moore retired, then never watched more of them.

C.

13. Rob P S

Rob P S Senior Member

Friday the 13th - got to the 3rd one and then lost my taste for all that killing and slaughter and unpleasantness.

14. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader

It's terrible but worth watching for that very reason.
    I've probably seen it a dozen times and I enjoy seeing how bad it is and how bad the acting is.
    Actually had a thread going some time ago about who was the worst actor in it.
    There were many worthy contenders, practically the entire cast but I chose Al Pacino.

Chrome_Head and Saint Johnny like this.
  15. brew ziggins

brew ziggins Forum Prisoner

I passed on the last Star Wars. Walked out of the theater after half an hour of episode 7. It was a toy commercial. Caught the bloodless ep 8 on DVD - vaguely remember Luke having preposterous powers.

Saw most of the Avengers films, couldn't be bothered to finish.
    --
    I'm a fan of Nolan's Batman series, though the final chapter had some quite avoidable plot holes.

The David Fincher/Daniel Craig Dragon Tattoo film is well-made and well-told; its a pity they didn't do the other books.

Chrome_Head likes this.
  16. Frozensoda

Frozensoda Forum Resident

I also loved LotR, especially the extended editions so I was stoked for the Hobbit.
    I saw the first one in the theater, about 1/3 of the second one on TV and never bothered with the 3rd one.
    There’s just too much bloat, and a friggin’ love triangle?
    No, just….no.

17. JKCanuck

JKCanuck Forum Resident

Star Wars (Saw the original three in the theater. After that, didn't care.)
    Hunger Games (Watched the first one, very good, missed the others. Read the books and by the third one, the story was out of gas.)
    Godfather (Missed the third one and still don't want to see it.)
    The Exorcist (Why did they bother with two more films....)
    Jaws (Never saw Jaws 4, the Revenge!. Thank God for that!)

18. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

"Girl in the Spider's Web" came out in 2018, but with different director/cast.

Which you probably knew, but... just in case! :)

19. Oatsdad

I never read the books but I saw all 4 movies.

The 1st is decent/good, the 2nd is pretty good, 3rd and 4th are meh to bad, IMO.

$$$!

20. Uncle Miles

Uncle Miles Wafting in and out of Forum

It’s easier for me to list the few series I’ve actually seen all the way through

All the James Bonds — except the one in theaters

All the Indiana Jones

All The Godfathers

All the Freddie Kreugers (I think)

All the Star Wars (I think)

Last edited: Nov 28, 2021
  21. spencer1

spencer1 Great Western Forum Resident

"The Matrix"

While I remember enjoying the first one I felt no compulsion to revisit the world of The Matrix.
    Different strokes ...

22. spencer1

spencer1 Great Western Forum Resident

"Fast and Furious"

While I love cars I found that cars doing endless donuts and defying gravity will not sustain a series.

23. brew ziggins

brew ziggins Forum Prisoner

Spiders Web isn't part of the original Millennium trilogy, it was written by another author after Larsson passed.

But I see Clare Foy plays Lisbeth, must investigate further.

24. Chrome_Head

The second film is terrible, but the third actually approaches some of the atmosphere of the first and is quite good IMO (I believe the author William Peter Blatty directed his own novel Legion which was an unofficial sequel to his original Exorcist book that used some of the same characters/ locations).

Also, Brad Dourif is rather terrifying in the 3rd film as a serial killer. You could skip 2 and not miss anything, because the 3rd doesn’t acknowledge its existence.

25. Oatsdad

Oh - thanks! I didn't know! :wave:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.