Movie Trope: what are your favorite messianic archetype films?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Pete Puma, Nov 4, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pete Puma

Pete Puma Forum Veteran Thread Starter

Great satan stand-ins.

2. neo123

neo123 Senior Member

The movie Powder in which the main character has paranormal powers and can heal the sick. His schoolmates bully (persecute) him. Also, during his death at the end, he disappears in a flash of light, with no body to be found.

Hyacinth House and Pete Puma like this.
  3. Pete Puma

That sounds like a good example. I never watched this movie.

4. Tim S

Tim S Senior Member

This has gotten me wondering if there are any superheros that are not messianic figures. I don't care for those types of movies, in general, so I might be pretty off on this.

Pete Puma likes this.
  5. ducksdeluxe

ducksdeluxe A voice in the wilderness.

[​IMG]

Jon Voight-the finale of Runaway Train. I couldn't find a still shot that shows him with his arms spread wide welcoming his fate. Amazing scene from a great film.

JoeOnWheels likes this.
  6. Timeless Classics

Timeless Classics Senior Member

Frodo Baggins in the Lord of the Rings

[​IMG]

7. Hyacinth House

Hyacinth House Forum Resident

Paikea in the film Whale Rider. She doesn’t perfectly fit the definition in the original post, but she checks a lot of the boxes.

Pete Puma likes this.
  8. Pete Puma

Chance the Gardner in Being There. An Idiot messiah.

9. Tim S

Tim S Senior Member

This one occurs a lot: the person who is fundamentally different from the bulk of society and doesn't necessarily even know it while making the world a better place and others better people - or sometimes simply being crushed for being "too good for this world." Not all of this applies to Chauncy, if I remember correctly, but he seems to be a good enough example of the general idea. Call him the "magical idiot," I guess. Forest Gump fits into this general group too, but I have a hard time placing him as actually "messianic."

10. Pete Puma

I was thinking of his walking on water near the end of the movie. Maybe not a great fit, and like Forrest, we don’t know who his father is.

11. Tim S

Tim S Senior Member

Hahahaha! Well, DUH I only forgot the most obvious thing in the world!

Pete Puma likes this.
  12. Jerk The Handle

Jerk The Handle Electrician

Plagued by regret of having left his kid brother to the mercies of bullies, Jack Celliers (Bowie) figuratively gives himself the kiss of death, like Judas, sacrificing himself in order to save another inmate from immediate execution.

unclefred and Pete Puma like this.
  13. Pete Puma

Spartacus fits the bill -his end on the cross made it hard not to see him as the messiah

Jerk The Handle likes this.
  14. JFS3

JFS3 Senior Member

Shane.

Mylene and Pete Puma like this.
  15. LeBon Bush

LeBon Bush Hound of Love

Maybe a bit of a stretch, but what about Corbucci's Django? The film, at least in the original italian version, is stuffed with references to the catholic church and the townspeople view Django as their chance to gain independence from the rivalling gangs who terrorize the US/Mexican border.

Plus, in the final showdown, the bad guy prays "For the father, the son and the holy spirit", firing three bullets into a wooden cross while doing so - and Django finishes by screaming "Amen!" and killing the guy for good. All takes place on an old cemetary.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2019
    Tim S and Pete Puma like this.
  16. Pete Puma

I almost forgot about The Omega Man. Charlton Heston gets a nice crucifixion shot at the end as he saves humanity with his blood / serum.

sixtiesstereo and GodShifter like this.
  17. Pete Puma

'A Burns For All Season' Directed by Senor Spelbergo: (at around the 2:45 mark)

bekayne likes this.
  18. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

This was the one I was going to mention. Good call.

Ghostworld and Pete Puma like this.
  19. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

How about Beric Dondarrion's Christ like image when getting shanked by zombies in Game of Thrones ? Granted, not "film" but TV, but still it's there.

20. Pete Puma

I don't recall this specific scene. Can you describe it?

21. Pete Puma

And how about Excaliber? Arthur's birth is miraculous, he is a good man who virtually dies but gets resurrected by drinking from the grail and he sacrifices his life to end the evil of Modred and Morgana. He also gets to an afterlife of sorts and will be remembered for the ages.

neo123, GodShifter and unclefred like this.
  22. Matt Richardson

Matt Richardson Forum Resident

How about John Willoughby in Meet John Doe?

23. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

In “The Battle for Winterfell” he saves Arya and The Hound by blocking a door in a Christ like pose while wights stab and claw at him.

dmiller458 and Pete Puma like this.
  24. Pete Puma

There does seem to be some elements, yes. The near sacrifice at the end and the rise of his philosophy / ministry sure fit the trope.

25. Pete Puma

I think Gandalf fits better. He gets resurrected after his fight (and death) with the Balrog and he performs magic and ministers to those in need. Like Frodo, he is granted eternal life in a type of heaven for all his good deeds.

neo123 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.