MoviePass Drops to $9.95 a Month For a Movie a Day

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by RayS, Aug 15, 2017.

1. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Anyone who signs up for MP now and ends up screwed in the end gets no sympathy. You gotta know they're a terrible company by now!

SandAndGlass and mmars982 like this.
  2. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

How can you say that when they have employees like this making things better? :)
    [​IMG]

FourWalledWorld, tmtomh and Jrr like this.
  3. Oatsdad

That is a cute dog! :)

SandAndGlass and mmars982 like this.
  4. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

These guys really need to give it up. Whenever you need to start instituting policies that make it difficult for a client to get his money back, it’s time to talk a close hard look at your policies. These guys have so many anti consumer policies (can change terms anytime after you have already paid...really???!!) and only paying from a checking account? Well guys, only a fool would sign up for this. The only reason there were chargebacks is that their business model turned into a huge joke.

5. Jeff Edwards

Jeff Edwards Senior Member

Agreed. I can't complain since I got back a lot more than I paid while I was a member, but I'm not rejoining.

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  6. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

I not only got $89 worth of movie tickets in the first month, my year-long subscription was a gift from a client.

7. Chris DeVoe

And he can type and send emails! As Bill Murray said in Groundhog Day "That's not bad for a quadraped."

longdist01 and mmars982 like this.
  8. Chris DeVoe

Shockingly my MoviePass worked again! I have my ticket to see Anna and the Apocalypse tonight.

lbangs likes this.
  9. jjh1959

jjh1959 Senior Member

I was surprised when it worked for the Fathom Events showing of White Christmas last night.

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  10. Aardvark23

Aardvark23 Forum Resident

They just solicited my business with a $99 per year offer w/ 3 "normal (non 3D) movies per month - allegedly with no restrictions. We cancelled on them back in August when the service wound up being totally worthless. Can't believe we are tempted to try it again, but we kinda are. What's that Ian Hunter song - Once Bitten Twice Shy.

11. Chris DeVoe

Most people only knew about MoviePass when the price dropped to $9.95 a month. But my wife was a member when it was $49.95 a month, and it had already been around for years at that time. She would be overjoyed if they brought they $49.95 a month version back. It was sustainable at that point, but couldn't achieve take-off velocity.

SandAndGlass and Mark Nelson like this.
  12. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

Geez, Movie Pass is sending a lot of emails today!

13. Chris DeVoe

mrjinks and Jrr like this.
  14. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

I’m stunned anyone that was a previous customer would even open any emails from them, never mind give them any more money. They change the rules at will, after they are paid, and they have the right to. Why sign up for that kind of abuse? It is “shame on you” if anyone gets bit again. Which they will. How these clowns are still around is beyond me. I’m convinced the business model from day one was build it, then sell it and get out quick. However, in this case they never got the cooperation of the theaters so it imploded as time ran out on them.

Shawn likes this.
  15. Chris DeVoe

Can anyone report on improvements with Sinemia?

16. Oatsdad

On another board, someone mentioned they'll now allow unused tickets to roll over to the next month.

I guess that's an improvement!

17. Chris DeVoe

I just checked their site, and as far as I can tell, they no longer are offering a "month to month" option, meaning you have to fork over a whole year's service fee in one lump sum - with the risk that they'll cancel without a refund.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  18. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

I still wouldn't recommend it.

I'm pretty sure I recall hearing that when they re-introduced their debit cards (for a fee, of course) that we would be able to use them for advance ticket purchasing and/or at the box office (the old MP method). However, either I misunderstood or they've already changed it. So, if you purchase at the box office, it's just like the old MP method. Check in for the movie and they'll load the price on your card - no additional fees.

HOWEVER, if you want to purchase in advance (the "cardless" option) , you'll be charged a $1.80 fee each time (no avoiding that) and - unless you purchase from a site that doesn't charge you a fee - you'll also owe the $1.50 fee that Fandango/Atom charge you.

Additionally, there was one Saturday a few weeks back when I wanted to see a film and their app suddenly wasn't working. Their (non)help staff responded to my issue and said "it's only a problem if you're purchasing at the box office" - there's no issue with the online "cardless" option. However, even that wouldn't have been true, because using either option, you still have to "check in" with their app in the vicinity of the theater. If you don't, from comments I've seen on twitter, they'll tag you for misuse of their service and either: (a) warn you (b) charge your card on file or (c) cancel your account.

I did get a message about 2 hours later that their service was restored but, at that point, I'd missed the early matinee I wanted to go to. It was like deja vu to July and my MP experience...

19. mrjinks

Yes, I just got that email yesterday. They must have the same PR team as MP did, because their emails always come across as incredibly self-congratulatory, while rarely acknowledging their shortcomings.

Yesterday's email started: "We have great news for you, again!" then mentioned "We added new Rollover Ticket Feature to All Plans, including existing users as a free feature."

That is a shock, actually, because having used the service for several months now, I would've expected to pay a fee for that.

They also have doubled referral bonuses from $10 to $20*, so I can sign you all up. ;)

*NOTE: the $$ you earn can not be applied to online fees, processing fees, or the fee for a debit card. It can only be used to extend your monthly subscription. Really!

20. mrjinks

It's also worth noting Sinemia isn't available at the one art-house theater (a four-plex) in my town. That's where all the good indie/foreign stuff plays. Since the majority of Hollywood blockbusters leave me cold (Avengers 17, Spiderman 23, Xmen XV), I've really been struggling to find 3 films/month the last couple months.

21. Chris DeVoe

They need to offer something between "3 a month" and "30 a month". Vickie is using AMC Stubs A*List to see three films a week at AMC theaters, including the fancy ones. She needs something to fill in on the other four days a week.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  22. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

If they came out with a 24.95/mo. program, instead of the $9.95/mo. program, that would probably have been sustainable as well as a more intelligent thing to do in the first place. Coming up with a program that is doomed to fail from the get-go, make no sense.

She can do what I did yesterday. They have a $5 any movie on Tuesday for any level Stubb's member.

So I went to Green Book yesterday. That leaves only three non movie discount days.

23. Chris DeVoe

She does. If there were a Sinemia package to see 12 movies a month, it would be a perfect fit. Her 3 A*List films, plus $5 Tuesday and 3 more.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  24. Oatsdad

MP thought that their $10/month unlimited plan would attract so many viewers that they'd be able to bully the theater chains into profit sharing.

It didn't work and they went kablooey!

But they always knew they'd not be able to survive based solely on the $10/month side alone. They just gambled and lost...

SandAndGlass likes this.
  25. mrjinks