MoviePass Drops to $9.95 a Month For a Movie a Day

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by RayS, Aug 15, 2017.

1. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

I don't like the idea of paying for a year up front, knowing their history of changing the deal. But I am tempted to do this. I miss my MoviePass much more than I thought I would.

2. I heard the new deal being discussed on a radio show the other day, and IIRC it was mentioned that payment (which needs to be paid annually up front) is only accepted by giving MoviePass your checking account # so that they can auto debit (and therefore avoid the protection consumers get from credit card purchases). I don't want to share my email address with them, let alone my checking account info!

RayS, mrjinks and SandAndGlass like this.
  3. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

Or cool, AC is nice if you live in a tropical climate.

alexpop likes this.
  4. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Found it a solace myself even if the film is crappy.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  5. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

Not keen on this, personally. I see most of my films at Regal, where they typically have 20 mins of trailers. This means I need to be on premises a full 30mins (minimum) before my film starts. :thumbsdow
    I get SICK of seeing the same damned trailers over and over again. Not to mention those asinine "short films" that Regal airs showing our love for Coke and popcorn, immediately before the film...

This *could* be an issue. MPass was pretty inconsistent about letting you check in last summer (Sinemia has had similar complaints).
    "repeatedly"? Given past experiences, I could see MPass change this to "once". I couldn't find anything worthwhile a few nights ago, but took a chance on the Lego movie, just to use a Sinemia pass before it expired. I walked out about 45 mins in - just wasn't my cup of tea...

Last edited: Mar 20, 2019
    Shawn likes this.
  6. SandAndGlass

Agree.

7. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

mmars982, RayS and SandAndGlass like this.
  8. mrjinks

Sure enough - my Sinemia account was just terminated when attempting to get a ticket today.

Shawn, RayS and SandAndGlass like this.
  9. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower Thread Starter

Wow.

I'm subscribing to the new Criterion channel, buying some Orville Redenbacher's and staying home. :)

10. Chris DeVoe

Again, if AMC is in your area, Stubs A*List is an amazing deal.

benjaminhuf and SandAndGlass like this.
  11. RayS

The nearest AMC is about 75 minutes from me. I've utilized it a few times for movies I was dying to see that I knew would never play at the one and only theater near me, but it's nothing I would do on a regular basis.

The theater near me is completely unaffiliated as far as I can tell. They show the most standard fare imaginable apart from faith-based movies, which they never seem to miss out on. And they don't seem to monitor the audience at all, so it's on the disgruntled viewer (me) to shut people up.

12. mrjinks

When that happens, do the noisier patrons accept your condemnation?

RayS likes this.
  13. RayS

They usually rip my glasses off my face, throw them on the ground, then grind them to dust under their shoe.

mrjinks likes this.
  14. EndOfTheRainbow

EndOfTheRainbow I Want To See the Bright Lights Tonight

I've had great luck with the AMC A list, my ticket price is about 2 bucks a pop, and Dolby Theaters are the best thing since sliced bread, better than an Imax. Yes, AMC is very loose with phone users, VERY annoying. I tend to go on weeknights and early morning

SandAndGlass likes this.
  15. SandAndGlass

While the AMC A-List is, the AMC web site is the worst major web site that I have ever used.

It has not been working properly for more than a week. I couldn't even book reservations on it.

Customer support directed me to Fandango, which I have been using since Wednesday of last week.

The new thing, the past couple of days is that the site will not even display the movies that are playing at my local theater.

This is totally ridiculous for a national company.

When you book on Fandango, you put in your AMC Stubbs membership number and it will price the movie and the ticket charge to zero. You can text your reservation to you smartphone.

Shawn likes this.
  16. mrjinks

17. WLL

WLL Popery Of Mopery

...I just signed up for AMC A List, given that the free on 'plex in San Francisco is only a few blocks from me. I checked out another deal at the smaller 'plex at the nearby Century Centre (Pseudo-English spelling) and that was much less of a deal. The Metreon shows Chinese and Spanish movies that I've never heard of in addition to normal English ones, Sino and Latin ones that I believe are just " normal " films of that language...meaning that they're not getting a " firigen film " release into " mainstream " American screens, they're there for speakers of the language.

18. WLL

WLL Popery Of Mopery

...I made my maiden trip to-day. Saw WONDER PARK (flat).
    I'd better not make a habit of this but I REALLY pigged out the concessions, for the occasion and so AMC would make some money! I got a large popcorn & diet soda combo w/refill, small Coke(R) If we, likewise refillable, & a non-refillable hot dog with chili and (out of onions) cheese...........

19. mrjinks

20. dirwuf

dirwuf Misplaced Chicagoan

21. jjh1959

jjh1959 Senior Member

I was hanging in with MoviePass until the beginning of April. Started having app problems where it kept saying that my transaction wouldn't go through until payment method was updated, even though there was nothing wrong with the card on file. When I would reenter the card information, although it would then say it was now updated, it would repeat the same problem. One time was able to get a manual check-in with the chat feature, but it took almost 20 minutes. They said it was a known issue. When it happened again, and I tried another manual chat check-in, they wouldn't let me choose the movie I was wanting, despite it being on the app's list of movies, and despite me sending them a screen-shot of the list. That was it. I cancelled since they have done nothing to fix the problem. I got a lot of use out of it while it lasted.

22. Chris DeVoe

23. RayS

Hey all you Sinemaniacs! Whatcha gonna do when Sinemania goes out of business on you?

audiomixer likes this.
  24. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Moviepass users will be packing out the screen this weekend, Endgame.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  25. Chris DeVoe

AMC is going to supply a lot of tickets for Endgame via A*List.

SandAndGlass likes this.