MoviePass Drops to $9.95 a Month For a Movie a Day

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by RayS, Aug 15, 2017.

1. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

MoviePass' letter to subscribers is below:

Dear MoviePass™ Subscribers,

Over the past several months, MoviePass™ worked hard to relaunch its groundbreaking subscription service and recapitalize the company. While we were able to relaunch the service for some of our subscribers with an improved technology platform, our efforts to recapitalize the company have not been successful to date. As a result, it pains us to inform you that effective at 8 a.m. E.T. on September 14, 2019, we must interrupt service for all current MoviePass™ subscribers. MoviePass™ will be providing subscribers with appropriate refunds for their period of service already paid for. Subscribers will not need to request a refund or contact MoviePass™ customer service to receive a refund. Subscribers will not be charged during the service interruption. At this point, we are unable to predict if or when the MoviePass™ service will continue.

We still deeply believe in the need for the MoviePass™ service in the marketplace, to maintain affordable access to theaters and provide movie lovers with choices of where to go to the movies. In August 2017, MoviePass™ began a transformation of the moviegoing industry by introducing its low monthly price subscription service. Since then, others in the industry have followed our lead. Now, as a result of this transformation, movie lovers throughout the United States have the ability to see movies in theaters using subscription services at prices they can actually afford, albeit with limited choices of theaters using those services. In the course of this industry transformation, MoviePass™ has experienced setbacks and challenges that are well known. Nevertheless, MoviePass™ remained committed to leading and competing in an industry that is resistant to outside competition and change. We believe that fostering competition and change in the moviegoing industry is critical to the satisfaction of the moviegoing public and filmmakers alike.

We thank you for your loyalty to MoviePass™ and sharing our vision for the industry. Although we do not currently know what the future holds for the MoviePass™ service, we hope to find a path that will enable us to continue the service in the future.

Sincerely,

Mitch Lowe

2. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  3. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

Farewell MoviePass. I can't complain too much because I certainly got my money's worth out of it!

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  4. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

I'm really not surprised by that.

5. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

The company says it will still seek funding to bring MoviePass back, but it is “unable to predict if or when the MoviePass service will continue.” It also says “there can be no assurance that any such financing will be obtained or available on terms acceptable to the committee.” The committee in question is a new “strategic review committee” made up of Helios and Matheson board directors to “identify, review, and explore all strategic and financial alternatives” for salvaging the firm. That includes selling it in its entirety, or a sale of nearly all of its assets including MoviePass, movie listing service Moviefone, and the company’s production arm, MoviePass Films.

6. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Whatever happened to MoviePass Fan #1 Snowy?

7. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower Thread Starter

Notice how "Snow" rhymes with "Lowe". Just sayin'.

I think this is a fitting song to honor MoviePass with on its passing.

mrjinks and Oatsdad like this.
  8. tomhayes

tomhayes Senior Member

I think if they come back at $4.95 a month it could work.

Fingers-crossed emoji

mmars982, mrjinks and RayS like this.
  9. Oatsdad

Do you mean $49.95?

I assume so, because there's no way in hell they could profit at $4.95 a month!

I think MP is dead no matter what, though. AMC and Regal have their plans and you could get both of those for less than $50/month.

If you live in an area with neither Regal nor AMC, a $50/month MP deal might look appealing, but given how dominant AMC and Regal are, that's a small piece of the pie.

Besides, who'd trust MP anymore?

SandAndGlass likes this.
  10. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

That was my thinking. MP flourished when there was no AMC and Regal programs, and at $50/month.

It was sheer stupidity that they did the $10/mo. thing, which was obviously not going to be sustainable.

Small surprise!

When AMC came on the line, Regal had to come up with something of their own to be competitive in markets that had AMC theaters as well.

But now, with both of these major chains having $20/mo programs and given the rotten track record of Moviepass, there is no way that either investors or the public will ever buy into any thing offered by them ever again.

There is no need and they destroyed themselves.

brownie61 and mrjinks like this.
  11. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

As Vickie has. She's using her AMC A*List for:
    • Dolby Cinema
    • IMAX
    • 3D
    • Bollywood films
    • Chinese films
    Regal Unlimited is used for everything else.

She sees multiple films every night, and she's paying less than most people pay for cable.

12. SandAndGlass

Unless you are paying for a premium package of cable and satellite TV, you don't get much in the way of programming for your money.

MikaelaArsenault and Chris DeVoe like this.
  13. dirwuf

dirwuf Misplaced Chicagoan

14. SandAndGlass

Yesterday, I was standing in the bar area of a restaurant, where there were multiple TV screen TV, playing sorts channels and a advertisement for Moviepass played.

Don't quite get this?

15. SandAndGlass

16. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

SandAndGlass likes this.
  17. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

For those who’ve been on the fence about Regal Unlimited, this might convince you...
    [​IMG]

18. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Early post.
    Giant tv?

Checked out 82” (85) and definitely doable.
    Asked about 100” tv I’d have to order it.
    Wouldn’t mind seeing a display model first.

19. Oatsdad

Wrong thread...

SandAndGlass and mrjinks like this.
  20. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

Shawn and mrjinks like this.
  21. Billy Infinity

Billy Infinity Beloved aunt

mmars982, Shawn and SandAndGlass like this.
  22. Oatsdad

I never signed up for Movie Pass and I don't regret it. I never trusted them as a business!

SandAndGlass likes this.
  23. Pizza

Pizza With extra pepperoni

I dont agree with you often but I agree with you on this.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  24. SandAndGlass

There was one extremely good outcome to come from Movie Pass. That was AMC creating their own in-chain version. I doubt if this would have happened if it wasn't for Movie Pass starting this in the first place.

At the beginning, a $50 monthly subscription to see unlimited movies, was a workable thing. When they started doing this ridiculous low price gimmick, it was obviously never going to be a viable working model. No surprises here...

Chris DeVoe and mrjinks like this.
  25. tomhayes

tomhayes Senior Member

They were as crooked as we accused them of being - yet I remember several posters defending them wildly.

The good news; They got away with it - no jail time and some weak agreement to be better in the future.

SandAndGlass and Shawn like this.