Movies released pre-2000 with more than 1 version available

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by 64FALCON, Oct 4, 2022.

1. HGN2001

HGN2001 Mystery picture member

MY DARLING CLEMENTINE has two versions available on the recent DVDs and Blu rays

64FALCON likes this.
  2. 64FALCON

64FALCON Forum Resident Thread Starter

@Vidiot: That's why I bought the one STAR WARS VHS video release from 1982 on "20th Century Fox Video" and stopped.

→ I figured if I tried to find 'The Ultimate Home Video' release of STAR WARS on *any* format I'd end up irritated instead of satisfied . . . so whatever imperfections the now-40-year-old tape has I can live with. I'll play it until it self-destructs.

On that videocassette version Han Solo blows away Greedo in the café. I think that scene has since been altered by the ever-meddling George Lucas.

3. jupiter8

jupiter8 Forum Resident

“Amadeus” is really only available in the “director’s cut” version these days which adds a lot of stuff that made the movie worse and less likable IMHO. I was lucky to find a dvd of the theatrical cut at a flea market a while back

“Little Shop of Horrors” - I remember that an alternate cut of the 80s musical remake was initially released on dvd by mistake and recalled - I think some of that footage (including a darker ending) was included on a later rerelease

Last edited: Oct 8, 2022
    SmallDarkCloud, mBen989 and 64FALCON like this.
  4. Grand_Ennui

Grand_Ennui Forum Resident

That it has...

64FALCON likes this.
  5. mBen989

mBen989 Senior Member

That's on the BluRay.

jupiter8 likes this.
  6. Major Dolphin

Major Dolphin "If music be the food of love, play on" William S.

Cinema Paradiso

3 versions:
    124 minutes
    155 minutes
    173-minutes director's cut

64FALCON, unclefred and apesfan like this.
  7. unclefred

unclefred Coastie with the Moastie

My original DVD, Miramax/HBO says it's 121 mins but It's the only cut I've watched. The VHS from that time is also 121 mins.

64FALCON and Major Dolphin like this.
  8. 64FALCON

I just noticed something on YouTube that I'd never seen before: AIRPLANE II's 'Deleted Scenes' that were added back for the television version + there's another video uploaded from the same 'uploader' (Watercooler Films) with the heading "AIRPLANE II The Sequel - The TV Version Comparison". Fun stuff! :goodie:

→ The 2 "Tv-only" scenes I remembered from years ago with "Hugh Gillin, Jr." as the "Texan" are there, too, so at least my aging memory isn't as bad as it could be. Hugh gives the 'Heart Foundation' employee in the Terminal building a thousand-dollar bill and the guy sees the bill and drops dead! :yikes: Then when Hugh is on the plane and the stewardess asks him if he'd like some reading material he selects 'The Talmud' and gets 12 books from the stewardess while Ted Striker selects a "Modern Electronics" magazine which short-circuits when he opens it and catches on fire.

And also the scene with Sonny Bono and his wife, Lee Purcell, is back in the film. She's not in the theatrical version. Lots of other stuff, too. Once I saw the TV version of "Airplane II" I thought the editor had cut out too much decent stuff. The movie's only 84 minutes; nothing wrong if AIRPLANE II had run 90m.

That was a very pleasant surprise this afternoon as I had not known prior the 'Deleted Scenes' from "Airplane II" had been added; they were uploaded in January of this year.

Now if only the TV version would be issued on a disc I'd be glad to buy it!

unclefred likes this.
  9. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Even the 1982 version was remixed, and there were a few changes from the 1977 version -- including the revised title, Star Wars Episode 4: A New Hope. I think they decoded the Dolby A NR wrong for the first few weeks of the release, and they had to go back, fix the decoding, and create a new master, while Fox quietly removed and replaced the initial bad tapes with the wrong audio. It wasn't a huge difference, but it was audible, basically kind of a "hyped" EQ.

Note you're missing 40% of the picture on the pan/scan VHS. A later laserdisc release does provide the full 2.40 Panavision aspect ratio... but there are also more editorial, color, and mix changes. Just about every time the film was reissued on video in some form, it was changed -- sometimes in subtle ways, sometimes in noticeable ways.

I've told this story before: when I worked for ILM in San Rafael in 2004, one of the Star Wars staff editors had a room near mine. He had a neat hand-lettered sign below his main monitor that said "HAN SHOT FIRST", in bold letters. I laughed when I saw it, and asked, "how did George react?" And the editor shrugged and said, "he laughed, and we kept working. It's stayed up ever since." Lucas is keenly aware of how people feel about it:

[​IMG]

No need to boldface your comments, BTW. We read you loud and clear.

McLover and 64FALCON like this.
  10. mBen989

mBen989 Senior Member

What's the situation with Sergio's films? It feels like there's a myriad of them because of the actions of MGM/Paramount/Regency (circle as appropriate)?

64FALCON likes this.
  11. 64FALCON

I bold-face my comments sometimes, Vidiot, because it's easier for me to see. :magoo: I'm apt to leave words out when I type and the bold face makes it easier for me to see my mistakes and correct them. → Not actually meant to 'SHOUT' anything like it's more important than what others have to say -- just easier for me is all.

(I'm actually surprised more of us aging folk don't use 'bold type' on occasion. It really does make it easier for me to •focus•).

ALSO: I do recall reading the '82 video release (or 'the 1st one') had a few changes (along with the 'panning-and-scanning' that was customary for the time). I thought about buying up a few more versions of "Star Wars", including a W/S presentation, at one point and when I realized how many there were I said to myself "I'll just keep this old tape and play it 'til it dies!" :p

Please pardon my curiosity, Vidiot, but did you keep a copy of the 1st STAR WARS video release -- it might the closest 'homevideo release' to the original '77 theatrical release extant, but I reckon you would know better than I would if it is or not.

mBen989 likes this.
  12. Bob A. Gosselin

Bob A. Gosselin Just an ordinary guy

Das Boot

Theatrical
    Director’s Cut
    Extended version

64FALCON and Michael like this.
  13. Bob A. Gosselin

Bob A. Gosselin Just an ordinary guy

I have both versions on Blu Ray and I also prefer the theatrical one.

64FALCON and Michael like this.
  14. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

I don't like the cuts ...

15. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Senior Member

Can't believe I forgot this.

Star Trek The Motion Picture had the theatrical version, and the Special Longer Version which both aired on TV and got a VHS release:

Part 2 of this comparision video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J390phDjyfs

The Director's Edition didn't come out until 2002, so not in the scope of this thread.

64FALCON likes this.
  16. 64FALCON

@BeatleJWOL: Greetings, if you look on the first post of this thread you'll see mentioned all 3 versions of "STAR TREK: The Motion Picture"; it fits within the scope of the thread because the movie was first released in 1979. I only meant by the thread title movies that were •first• released after 2000. Cheers.

The Special Director's Edition you spoke of from 2002 also got a VHS release. I doubt Paramount sold a whole bunch of them, but I've got one. I bought it because I already had the other 2 version on tape and it was not expensive to pick up the 'Director's Edition' from eBay. So now all 3 tapes/versions are perched neatly next to one another.

BeatleJWOL likes this.
  17. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

Unfortunately, the hour of footage was all pointless filler where nothing happens.

64FALCON likes this.
  18. altaeria

altaeria Forum Resident

Maybe the question should be
    Which pre-2000 movies only have one version?

64FALCON likes this.
  19. altaeria

altaeria Forum Resident

20. 64FALCON

The 1970 black comedy WHERE'S POPPA? has 2 versions. The original theatrical version with the truncated ending and the later version with the intended ending restored, which from what I've read was too potent for audiences of 1970.

The mid-1980s KEY VIDEO VHS release was the theatrical version and has a happier ending.

The later MGM Home Video VHS, however, had the intended ending put back on to the end of the film which changed the tone considerably.

I don't know what version of "WHERE'S POPPA?" is on the digital release -- maybe both versions of the film were included on the disc releases?

21. unclefred

Kino Lorber released it on bluray with the alternate ending as an extra. $9.95 here-
    Where's Poppa?

64FALCON likes this.
  22. 64FALCON

I am reminded of the 1970 British 'period piece' horror BLOOD ON SATAN'S CLAW.

One version, the most common version, does not show Linda Hayden nude in front of the minister when she drops her gown. The uncut version, however, does show Linda Hayden nude in front of the minister after she drops said gown.

unclefred likes this.
  23. unclefred

Which reminds me, Witchfinder General, featuring Vincent Price, was released in the US as The Conqueror Worm. A prolog and epilog were added to the film to make it appear to be another addition of the Poe Series of films that Price was involved in. In the UK the movie was censored for years and there are different cuts available on video and disc. The complete uncut film was not released until 2011, or so I read.

Jazzmonkie and 64FALCON like this.
  24. Jazzmonkie

Jazzmonkie Forum Resident

Coen Brothers Blood Simple:
    The theatrical cut , the VHS version which was the theatrical edit with music substitutions, and for the Blu-ray the original music. The first DVD release might even be different.

64FALCON likes this.
  25. Clark V Kauffman

Clark V Kauffman Forum Resident

The UK and US prints of “Yellow Submarine” were different, with the latter excluding “Hey Bulldog” and adding a bit of animation to provide a better transition between two scenes.

64FALCON, Crimson Witch and mBen989 like this.