Movies released pre-2000 with more than 1 version available

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by 64FALCON, Oct 4, 2022.

1. EndOfTheRainbow

EndOfTheRainbow I Want To See the Bright Lights Tonight

I was just watching Once Upon A Time in the West, and was curious if it is available in the original Italian ?
    The version on Prime is in English, but some of the overdubs seem wonky...
    and in places they are cleary speaking English, though that doesnt mean it hasnt been overdubbed...
    It is suppose to be out in 4K, but that is about all I know....
    Information ??
    Opinions ??

2. ArchFates

ArchFates Forum Resident

AFAIK there's Italian blu-ray, but they don't usually come with the English subtitles. If the overdubs seemed wonky, they might have been the scenes which they put back in early 2000s which were deleted from the American/International-version originally. They got Eastwood and Eli Wallach, along with someone who could imitate Lee Van Cleef to dub the scenes, as they weren't dubbed for the original international release. IIRC the deleted scenes weren't hugely important, but it's been good 15 years since I saw that version last time. Wonky dubbing comes with the territory with the spaghetti westerns, those movies usually weren't that high budget to begin with, and everyone spoke their own language on the set, and movies were overdubbed even in Italian.

3. mBen989

mBen989 Senior Member

Well, you have to remove most spaghetti Westerns were filmed M.O.S. ("money's out, sound guy") and with a multilingual cast, it hard to figure out what the true language for the movie is.

Jazzmonkie and 64FALCON like this.
  4. mBen989

mBen989 Senior Member

That would be the cut trimmed for an R.

64FALCON likes this.
  5. Grand_Ennui

Grand_Ennui Forum Resident

That was actually for 'The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly', not 'Once Upon a Time in the West'.

6. ArchFates

ArchFates Forum Resident

Oh yeah, derp, for some reason I read it as The Good, The Bad and The Ugly. Shouldn't post 1AM at night.

mBen989 likes this.
  7. somnar

somnar Senior Member

Wim Wenders' Until the End of the World. According to wiki:

158 minutes (US)
    179 minutes (Europe)
    239 minutes (Japan)
    280 minutes (Trilogy Cut)
    287 minutes (Director's Cut)

It's a film I'm very fond of. Have seen the Trilogy Cut a half dozen times over the years.

mBen989 and 64FALCON like this.
  8. 64FALCON

64FALCON Forum Resident Thread Starter

There seems to have been several versions extant of Peter Bogdanovich's 1975 musical AT LONG LAST LOVE. I was reading about some of them.

mBen989 likes this.
  9. MrSka57

MrSka57 Forum Resident

Two versions of The Wild Bunch
    Three versions of Once Upon A Time In America

Jazzmonkie and 64FALCON like this.
  10. Doctor X (1932)

The movie was filmed in Two-strip Technicolor and B&W, two seperate cameras, sometimes filming at the same time, at different angles, and other times totally different takes of the same scene. Dialog also changes from time to time. It's essentially the same movie, filmed twice, at roughly the same time, one in color, the other in B&W. There were two DPs, too.

The Big Trail (1930)

This movie was filmed simultaneously in 70mm and 35mm. Two edits were made before release, one for the 70mm, which runs 122 minutes, and the 35mm runs 108 minutes. But the 35mm isn't just shortened; there are scenes in the 35mm that doesn't exist in the longer 70mm. Also, there are clearly different takes of scenes between the two.

Edit: both versions of both movies are available on their respective Blu-rays.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2023
    mBen989, 64FALCON and Jazzmonkie like this.
  11. Burnout

Burnout Deadbeat

Eden And After - 1970 - 7/10
    AKA - L’éden et Après

[​IMG]

Audacious, challenging, at times perplexing story will baffle many, put others to sleep.
    For people who do not like foreign cinema, French films, this is a poster child for every element you hate.
    There is next to no plot. College students chill in a museum construct cafe, attend classes, engage in sexual politics (meaning a load of nudity and talking).
    At its core, this is a mystery. One coed owns a valuable painting from her uncle, a deceased artist.
    They steal it, or try to steal it, transport her to Algeria, there is a doppelganger, murders, vague resolutions.
    A flood of images, difficult ambiant score, this can be a hypnotic ride if you immerse yourself.
    I quite enjoyed this - but - everyone else watching with me walked. Beware.

N. a Pris les Dés… - 1971 - 5/10
    AKA - N. Took The Dice

[​IMG]

So … director Robbe-Grillet took his previous film, Eden And After, recut it, inserted outtakes and additional footage, then recombined it into … a … an almost incomprehensible muddle.
    Nevertheless, for those who enjoy experimental cinema, there is quite a bit to appreciate.
    This moves differently, and is like a fable being told by our narrator, “N”
    It is more hallucinatory. Ofttimes, the doings in the desert mirror cafe sequences.
    Concepts of doppelgangers and parallel realities
    Unlike the previous version, there is no nudity.
    I would recommend viewing this one after the earlier film.

64FALCON likes this.
  12. mBen989

mBen989 Senior Member

Be advised the Grandeur version aurvives as a 35mm anamorphic dupe MoMA made in the '80s.

EVOLVIST and 64FALCON like this.
  13. Jazzmonkie

Jazzmonkie Forum Resident

The Bat Whispers (1930) - 35MM and 65MM versions were shot.

EVOLVIST and 64FALCON like this.
  14. I'm not surprised that it's a dupe, but what is an "anamorphic dupe? " Anamorphic is a lens type, so I don't see how a lens would factor into the equation of making a duplicate. I don't know, so I'm asking.

mBen989 likes this.
  15. 64FALCON

I can't remember if I mentioned the 1995 movie JADE before . . . but it's got 2 versions.

There's the 'regular' theatrical version issued on a Paramount VHS tape and there is also a "Director's Cut UNRATED VERSION" which Paramount released on VHS.

Theatrical Version: 95 minutes. Rated [R].

Unrated Version: 107 minutes. → I don't know which version of "JADE" was issued on DVD and/or Blu-Ray? Maybe both versions were? I've not picked up a disc of "Jade" and I've never checked eBay to see which edition is on disc.

-----------------------------------------------------

ALSO: THIEF OF HEARTS (1984). When it came out on VHS via Paramount in 1985 this version was UNRATED due to the addition of sex scenes from the overseas version of the film. So the old Paramount tape is not the U.S. theatrical version . . . it's more explicit.

I do not own a DVD or Blu-Ray of "Thief of Hearts" but having looked over the eBay listings in the past to see what version it was on the discs I noted a runtime listed at '99 minutes' for the DVD and Blu-Ray issues along with an [r]-rating. The Paramount VHS tape lists a running time of 101 minutes/Unrated.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2023
    unclefred and mBen989 like this.
  16. mBen989

mBen989 Senior Member

In order to preserve the full width of the 70mm image.

EVOLVIST likes this.
  17. mBen989

mBen989 Senior Member

A quick check of DVDcompare says all the releases are the R rated versions.

64FALCON likes this.
  18. 64FALCON

I can't help but wonder if the 'Unrated' version of THIEF ON HEARTS on the tape was later re-submitted to the MPAA and subsequently rewarded with an [R]-rating? That can happen sometimes when the MPAA changes its standards, but I honestly don't know in this case.

ALSO: In regards to the UNRATED version of "Jade" on a Paramount VHS I noted one was sold on eBay a couple of days ago for $20.00. However, it was not alone. The seller had two movies for sale for $20 and I forgot the other title "Jade" was paired with. I do recall it was a movie that starred Christopher Walken from the 1990s.

19. Burnout

Burnout Deadbeat

Strange Bargain - 1949 - 6/10

[​IMG]

When Sam asks his boss for a raise, he is reminded that the firm is struggling, and then fired.
    Soon thereafter, the boss makes a proposal.
    “I intend to kill myself, but I want you to make it look like murder afterward. My family will get the insurance, and I’ll pay you $10,000.”
    What could go wrong?
    Minor crime mystery benefits from good cast and an acceptable premise.

: -- :

Murder, She Wrote: The Days Dwindle Down (S03E21) - 1987 - NA

[​IMG]

So, almost 40 years later, Strange Bargain gets a reboot on an episode of Murder, She Wrote.
    J. B. Fletcher is asked to solve an old mystery, shown using flashbacks of the 1949 movie.
    Flashbacks are edited so that the backstory is modified, considerably so.
    Any good? A trio of original actors reprise their roles, and June Havoc and Gloria Stuart are brought in.
    This is Murder, She Wrote, however, which generally has a safe predictability.
    Once every blue moon, though, the series kicked out a rather dark episode.
    This is one of those.
    Sam is an innocent soul, though, and you cringe, watching him make mistake after mistake.

64FALCON likes this.
  20. Cookie!

Cookie! Forum Resident

RE: Star Wars:

All four Star Wars films released pre-2000 have at least two versions.

mBen989 and 64FALCON like this.
  21. 64FALCON

I was just musing about this: For all of the movies JOHN WAYNE starred in there aren't many of his films with more than 1 version available.

The only one I can think of is THE ALAMO (1960) with the theatrical version versus the longer Roadshow Version . . . but that's about it.

THE SHOOTIST (1976) does have a cut in the W/S Paramount VHS version compared to the earlier VHS releases. (I don't know about the DVD and/or Blu-Ray releases of "The Shootist", however).

The 'cut' is when Wayne takes a slug of booze and says "To the pure life!" then throws the empty bottle away -- there is then a reaction shot on Ron Howard's face. → That 'reaction shot' to Howard is missing from the W/S VHS I bought of "The Shootist". But I don't know if that /cut/ was on purpose or due to print damage?

If you watch THE SHOOTIST keep an eye out for that scene when Wayne takes the small bottle of booze from Howard and finishes it off.

Besides THE ALAMO and the quick/cutaway in "The Shootist" I can't think of any other J. Wayne movies with multiple versions floating around . . .

22. SmallDarkCloud

SmallDarkCloud Forum Resident

There are two versions of The Big Trail, Wayne's first film as a leading man. More information here:

The Big Trail - Wikipedia

unclefred and 64FALCON like this.
  23. 64FALCON

The 1980 Canadian telephone-based thrilled BELLS starring Richard Chamberlain, Sara Botsford and John Houseman has 2 versions.

The original 95-minute Canadian version which was released by 'Astral Video' in Canada.

Then there is the 80-minute U.S. version re-titled MURDER BY PHONE which was issued on 'Warner Home Video' here in the 'States.

I reckon the U.S. distributor felt there was some 'fat' that could be cut out!

SmallDarkCloud likes this.
  24. 64FALCON

Here we have the 1974 Eurocrime flick STREET LAW / THE ANONYMOUS AVENGER.

It stars Franco Nero and Barbara Bach.

There is the original 102-minute overseas theatrical version -- which looks to have been issued on DVD by the Blue Underground label in its full-length version.

However, the original U.S. cut of STREET LAW was edited down to 77 minutes and was issued on VHS by the old VidAmerica label (I have the old VidAmerica tape, btw.).

Directed by Enzo G. Castellari.

25. 64FALCON

♠BUMP♠

Anyone think of any other movies released in the year 2000 or before with more than 1 version available?

I reckon the well could be running dry, but there's gotta be a few more. I think.