Movies that could share the same universe

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Aar Gal, Apr 18, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aar Gal

Aar Gal Monkberry Moon Delight Thread Starter

We have the MCU, the DCU, Monsterverse.

what other movies could be part of the same universe?

How about The Terminator as a prequel to the Matrix?

Or Teen Wolf and Harry Potter could share the same universe.

what else works?

2. JediJones

JediJones Forum Resident

Alien vs. Predator joined two unconnected universes, first as a Dark Horse comic book, then as two movies.

Dark Horse also did a Robocop vs. Terminator comic book.

M. Night Shyamalan made a universe out of some of his movies.

There was almost going to be a crossover movie of Men in Black with 21 Jump Street.

There is a comic book where Indiana Jones finds the remains of a crashed spaceship in the jungle, the Millennium Falcon.

Also, there was Freddy vs. Jason.

And, I guess Who Framed Roger Rabbit combined multiple animated universes. But it did it by saying the toons were actors who played themselves in their own films, so it combined the characters without combining the continuity.

And Ready Player One did something similar with digital avatars of various characters, making it completely a crossover without consequences.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2021
    unclefred likes this.
  3. darkmass

darkmass Forum Resident

I've long felt that "THX 1138" and "2001" could be seen as two different vantages into the same overall society.

Aar Gal likes this.
  4. SonOfAlerik

SonOfAlerik Forum Resident

ALIEN

and

Outland

Dillydipper likes this.
  5. JediJones

JediJones Forum Resident

Chris Reeve had spoken about how he wanted Tim Burton to let him cameo in a Batman sequel. He would see something going on from the street, start going into a phone booth or ripping open his shirt, but then see Batman swinging by across the skyline, button his shirt back up and walk away.

6. JediJones

JediJones Forum Resident

G.I. Joe vs. Transformers was done as a comic book several times starting in the '80s.

7. vegafleet

vegafleet Forum Resident

Train to Busan and World War Z

8. JediJones

JediJones Forum Resident

hi_watt likes this.
  9. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

I don't think it's so much squishing two different character franchises into the same movie as an afterthought. To me it's more like two different movies where things could have happened at different places outside of each others' continuity, without the reality of one, interfering with the reality of the other.

Tootsie and Mrs. Doubtfire could have existed within the same universe for instance, without the realities of one canceling the other out. As an example, when Dustin Hoffman finally meets Geena Davis at the end, and her character mumbles something like, "Yeah, I heard of a guy in San Francisco that tried that...".

unclefred likes this.
  10. Pizza

Pizza With extra pepperoni

Teen Wolf and Harry Potter?

Dirty Harry and Die Hard

JediJones likes this.
  11. Solitaire1

Solitaire1 Carpenters Fan

JediJones wrote the following as part of a post:

DC Comics and Dark Horse did a comic book miniseries named Superman/Aliens. The following covers the entire story (it is an excellent story):

Due to the nature of the DC Multiverse, the above exists in one universe in the Multiverse which puts the DC characters and the Aliens movies in the same universe.

12. JediJones

JediJones Forum Resident

For that matter, DC and Marvel did several crossovers over the decades, starting with Superman vs. Spider-Man in the 1970s. In fact, the genesis of the idea was someone suggesting to Marvel and DC that there should be a Superman vs. Spider-Man movie. But since the first Chris Reeve movie was already in the works, they had to settle for doing it as a comic book.

Superman vs. The Amazing Spider-Man - Wikipedia

I think we all know a DC/Marvel crossover would do HUGE box office business. Now's not the right time. Marvel is too big to need it and DC is in too weak a position to want to cede any ground to Marvel right now. But someday, maybe when Marvel's a little weaker and DC's a little stronger, it will happen. As comic books, the crossovers stopped in 1982 and started up again in 1994. That gap coincides with a "boom" period in comic book sales. So it seems the crossovers tended to happen when both companies were looking for something to juice up sales during weaker periods. During the boom period, the buyers were already there and the goal on both sides was how to grab more of the growing market share for themselves.

DC was also in an extremely weak position against Marvel in the early '80s when the crossovers stopped and was at risk of having their entire comics division sold off to Marvel. So that was similar to the position they're in with their movies now, struggling to show that they can compete with Marvel. In comics, they rebounded partly by stealing writers and artists away from Marvel to reboot their major titles. Which is oddly enough a little similar to WB getting James Gunn to relaunch Suicide Squad after his work on the Guardians of the Galaxy movies.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2021
  13. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader

'Taxi Driver ' \ 'Joe '

14. danner

danner Forum Resident

I actually thought of one last night. The wife and I were watching Ghostbusters on TV and saw a blink-and-you’ll-miss-him performance from Reginald VelJohnson as a cop. Because he seems to play a cop in just about everything he’s in, I’ve decided that he is the same character in a connected universe of movies and TV shows. Ghostbusters, Die Hard, Family Matters... the man has been through some stuff.

15. Mosep

Mosep Senior Member

Adventures in Babysitting and Sharknado

16. JediJones

JediJones Forum Resident

It's kind of surprising John Hughes didn't go the shared universe route with his teen movies considering he shot them at the same school. But I guess that wouldn't have allowed him to use Molly Ringwald three times as three different characters.

Don't forget that Reginald VelJohnson started on Perfect Strangers and spun Family Matters off from that.

Now could Balki actually be the same guy as Serge in Beverly Hills Cop?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.