Movies that haven't been released on dvd/blu ray

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by jason88cubs, Jan 14, 2021.

1. jason88cubs

jason88cubs Forum Resident Thread Starter

Is their anything more frustrating than watching a movie and finding out its not on sale to buy?

Wicked Woman from 1953 and Two in The Dark from 1936 are 2 movies I absolutely love but they were never released on DVD or Blu Ray

Any movies you love that have never been released?

hi_watt, Regginold31 and Michael like this.
  2. mBen989

mBen989 Senior Member

Ken Russell's The Devils, at least not officially on this side of the Atlantic.

3. Timeless Classics

Timeless Classics Senior Member

Only The Lonely - the 1991 John Candy film. It was released on DVD a long time ago, but no longer available in any format.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2021
    Eighties, mep, Scott57 and 4 others like this.
  4. MekkaGodzilla

MekkaGodzilla Forum Resident

Gizmo! (1977): This was a STAPLE on HBO during the early 80's - a documentary-type film that uses newsreel footage of failed inventions. I imagine ALL of the contents have lapsed into the public domain, so I don't know what the issue is.

[​IMG]

It Came From Hollywood (1982): A fun little documentary-type film "hosted" by Dan Aykroyd, Cheech & Chong, Gilda Radner and John Candy but it really is just 80 minutes of film trailers from schlocky B-movies from the 50's-late 70's.

[​IMG]

5. John B Good

John B Good Forum Hall Of Fame

I wonder if this wouldn't be the largest group of movies - ones that never came to home consumption media.

One movie I would like to have only came to DVD in another region - BLISS, and long before I was able to get a multi-region player.

6. The Keep-DVD yes, Blu-Ray, no.

7. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

This is why I won’t go on to 4K. I just don’t see that there will be nearly as much reissued as what there is on blu-ray, and even then there are films missing. Just going to sit tight and be done with upgrading. The one positive regarding the pandemic is the big reissue campaign of blu-rays, when we were on the cusp of physical media going away. I love owning a disc, so it’s been fun seeing studios like Paramount coming out with higher quality reissues. Perhaps some missing films will finally be released.

bluearmy78 likes this.
  8. fr in sc

fr in sc Forum Resident

1933's pre-code Blood Money with a masochist/nymphomaniac/kleptomaniac Frances Dee

Steve Litos likes this.
  9. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer

Omg I haven’t thought about “Gizmo” in ages! I totally remember watching this with my sister when we were kids. It was on Showtime, maybe? They played it a lot. Highly entertaining to us at that age. Wonder if it’s still amusing. Pretty disposable programming though if you think about it, so probably not surprising that it’s unreleased and completely forgotten.

dan c

hi_watt likes this.
  10. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

Aren't there half a dozen of these threads already?

agentalbert likes this.
  11. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

David Lean's epic "Ryan's daughter", incredibly, is still waiting for an official Blu Ray release.

PhilBorder and Regginold31 like this.
  12. music4life

music4life Senior Member

American Hot Wax

Jamey K, Grand_Ennui, Drifter and 2 others like this.
  13. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

Looking for Mr. Goodbar.

Great acting job by Diane Keaton. Great soundtrack that also isn't available on cd.

Eighties, Jamey K and Pizza like this.
  14. SmallDarkCloud

SmallDarkCloud Forum Resident

I loved It Came From Hollywood as a kid. This one was a close call. Paramount announced a DVD, and moved at least as far as creating a cover for the DVD case (pictures of it can be found online). Then they canceled it, probably due to the cost of relicensing those clips. You can watch the whole movie on YouTube, though, last time I checked.

hi_watt likes this.
  15. SmallDarkCloud

SmallDarkCloud Forum Resident

Trick or Treat - a 1986 horror movie that mixes the slasher genre (very lightly) with the 80s panic over Satan, heavy metal, and backwards messages on LPs. Marc Price (Skippy on Family Ties) is the metal-kid hero, with cameos by Ozzy Osbourne as a metal-hating televangelist, and Gene Simmons as a disc jockey.

It’s a pretty good film, directed by Charles Martin Smith (Terry in American Graffiti). There was a very brief DVD run in the early 00s (blink and you missed it), but nothing since then, in the U.S. - no DVD, blu, digital download or streaming availability. There was a German blu, which I think was region-locked.

Fastway wrote and recorded the music for the fictional rock star in the movie. Rumors have circulated in horror fandom that the band wants so much money for relicensing the songs that no home video company could make any profit on the movie. I have no idea if it’s true or not. The movie’s fun and deserves to be available, though (aside from a YouTube copy sourced from the old VHS tape).

TGAH FAN likes this.
  16. polchik

polchik Forum Resident

hi_watt likes this.
  17. James Slattery

James Slattery Forum Resident

Hundreds of the great made for TV movies of the 1970s.

18. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

US-True Lies...no anamorphic DVD and not a BD in sight...

Scowl, Kirk76 and SmallDarkCloud like this.
  19. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

yes, but time moves on and people forget. IIRC, I believe I started one as well...this will be good I'm sure.

20. TGAH FAN

TGAH FAN Well-Known Member

Wavelength from 1983. I was a steady renter in the video store I owned from 1986-'91

21. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

SUMMER CAMP NIGHTMARE

[​IMG]

Eighties, hi_watt and SmallDarkCloud like this.
  22. BwanaBob

BwanaBob Forum Resident

This movie (and its soundtrack) re-ignited my interest in Tangerine Dream. The last time I saw it was in 1986/87 when I rented the VHS from my local mom & pop store.

Eighties, hi_watt and TGAH FAN like this.
  23. Avenging Robot

Avenging Robot Senior Member

The fact that it was even released on DVD was a minor miracle - I got my copy just last month.

Eighties, hi_watt and wayneklein like this.
  24. StillFlying

StillFlying Forum Resident

Light Of Day (1987)
    Seems like it was always on cable TV back in the day. I don't think it has ever been available on DVD in the US. The only ones I see for sale are pirated from the VHS version. I assume the music licensing is what has always held back its release. Sadly, I don't think this one will ever see the...ahem...light of day.

Scowl, The Snout, Daryl M and 2 others like this.
  25. Pizza

Pizza With extra pepperoni

I’m still waiting for Splash to splash onto bluray. Totally puzzled why it hasn’t. Big hit. Three big H’s: Hanks, Hannah and Howard. Maybe when the live action Little Mermaid movie hits the shores it’ll get released to blu.