Movies that haven't been released on dvd/blu ray

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by jason88cubs, Jan 14, 2021.

1. Graham

Graham Senior Member

That’s a bootleg, although you probably know that. Lots of Spanish releases are unofficial releases, grey area discs that can be sold there but aren’t legit.

2. MekkaGodzilla

MekkaGodzilla Forum Resident

Dude...most of the movie is clips of old B&W movies...in narrow M-O-N-O.

3. paulisdead

paulisdead fast and bulbous

And the sad thing about The Thief and the Cobbler is, even though the film has a decent internet fan base, Williams' original vision only exists in fan edits. Instead we only officially have the hack-job's The Princess and the Cobbler and Mirimax's Arabian Knight.

4. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

I did not know that! thanks...

5. Michael

so...

6. paulisdead

There was a planned DVD release of It Came From Holywood in 2002 from Paramount. Artwork had been created (below in all its low-res glory), but the DVD was cancelled at the last minute.

[​IMG]

7. Michael

do you know the reason?

8. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

One of the funniest movies I've ever seen has thus far resisted the jump to Blu Ray - and it's a Michael Caine movie!

Noises Off is a British farce, and has me in tears. First time seeing it I had to keep pausing the DVD until the laughs subsided. 4K please!

[​IMG]

Michael likes this.
  9. paulisdead

From what I'm reading on threads...rights issues.

I remember there being talk about this release, but I can't find a street date other than 2002. The artwork looks typical of the early 2000's DVD's, so I believe it to be a legit Paramount release.

Michael likes this.
  10. Michael

yea, I can see that...lots of clips.

11. Michael

never saw that one, but I want to! looks great!

12. paulisdead

Yep. From a LOT of different studios, too.

mBen989 and Michael like this.
  13. Michael

that'll do it! ; )

paulisdead likes this.
  14. mBen989

mBen989 Senior Member

No competition.

Michael likes this.
  15. Michael

from what?

mBen989 likes this.
  16. mBen989

mBen989 Senior Member

I'm guessing there's clips from the Susan Hart collection.

17. mBen989

mBen989 Senior Member

Anthology.

Michael likes this.
  18. Michael

: ) oh...

mBen989 likes this.
  19. paulisdead

Sadly, it'll sit on the shelf in the underground Beatle-bunker forever. Right next to the film cans of The Beatles cartoon series.

[​IMG]

mBen989 likes this.
  20. VonMagnum

VonMagnum Forum Resident

It is at least available in HD on Amazon, iTunes, etc. I've never seen it so now I'm going to have to watch it. :D

Vaughan likes this.
  21. Solitaire1

Solitaire1 Carpenters Fan

Another movie where the intended version has been lost is Rock & Rule which was Nelvana's attempt to break into theatrical movies. Because of various circumstances (related in the video below) the intended movie was lost and all we have is what could be recovered (which has been released on DVD and Blu-Ray), so the actual intended movie will likely never be released on DVD and Blu-Ray.

22. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

I actually have Amazon Prime, so may give it a watch there. Would prefer a disc, but.... let me know how you like it, I'm obviously a huge fan.

23. VonMagnum

VonMagnum Forum Resident

I got started watching it, but then something came up and I only saw the first 30 minutes or so. Honestly, it was boring the heck out of me during that time. Actors that can't remember their lines in a play and going on about sardines is funny? I hope it gets better.

BTW, if you want to see a great Michael Caine movie that is hated by critics, watch Blame It On Rio (odd how Demi Moore looks the same young and old). I checked and it is now available on Blu-Ray as well for around $9.

24. The Snout

The Snout Forum Resident

100% on Wicked Woman, one of the most astounding B noirs ever and a real question mark in the director/screenwriter's careers. Beverly Michaels was a total amazement, able to go from kitten to panther in a single sentence. (She was entirely sympathetic in Hugo Haas's Girl on the Bridge.) Her reading of the line "A-ca-pul-co. Mex-i-co Ci-ty" is femme fatale gold, and her relationship with Percy Helton, also at the top of his weaselly game, was something to ponder. Whoever is holding out on the rights to this one (I assume — it's one of the few Allied Artists pictures the Warner Archive hasn't gotten around to yet) is depriving a lot of people a really satisfying 70 minutes.

25. The Snout

The Snout Forum Resident

Paul Schrader appeared for a screening of this a few years ago at the Cleveland Cinematheque just down the street from where the club scenes were shot. A really good film with a creditable performance by Joan Jett. I would love to see it again.

StillFlying likes this.