Movies That Killed Careers

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by JediJones, Apr 14, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tim S

Tim S Senior Member

I just remembered the psychologist is played by the great Alan Arkin - great casting! Found this little clip

MidnightRocks and carrick doone like this.
  2. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

I think Brando used cue cards for a bunch of movies, not just "Godfather". Not clear if he struggled to memorize or he just preferred it this way!

Matthew Tate likes this.
  3. JediJones

JediJones Forum Resident Thread Starter

He used them on Superman and claimed he preferred it that way to help him give a more natural performance. The director on Superman, Richard Donner, said he tried to get out of showing up on set by suggesting they make Kryptonians look like something inhuman and he would just do a voiceover, and explain that he would use technology to reshape his son into the form of a human when he sent him to Earth, but of course they didn't agree to that. It has some logic to it though, in that it avoids the unexplained coincidence that Earthlings and Kryptonians look alike. Otherwise, Donner had nothing but praise for him. Chris Reeve said on a 1982 Letterman appearance, however, that he was disappointed with Brando and thought he "phoned it in."

a customer and Matthew Tate like this.
  4. Siegmund

Siegmund Vinyl Sceptic

I’m not sure remembering his lines was his problem. Like several Method actors, Brando struggled with the problem of making scripted lines sound spontaneous - very reasonably asking the question, ‘How do I know what I’m going to say?’ It was this, rather than any laziness on his part, that caused him to ask for his lines to be in his eyeline off-camera.

Emil Zatopek and Matthew Tate like this.
  5. Say It Right

Say It Right Not for the Hearing Impaired

Going to take a stab at this, but don't know if this is for certain. Seems that Steve Carell had begun a promising movie career after "40 Year Old Virgin." However, it was somehow decided that he could expand outside of comedy roles, as with "The Way Way Back." Good movie, but poor casting with him in a relatively dramatic role as a particularly unlikeable character.

bpmd1962, fr in sc and Matthew Tate like this.
  6. Honey Bunches of Sadness

Honey Bunches of Sadness Forum Resident

Checked out her filmography on Rotten Tomatoes:
    https://www.rottentomatoes.com/celebrity/sean_young

Didn't realize she's been working regularly all these years. But since about the mid-90s, looks about 90%+ direct-to-video kind of stuff. Wow.

James Woods sued her in 1988 basically for being a crazy stalker. He accused her of leaving a disfigured doll on his doorstep, which she of course denied. I seem to remember that she carried a reputation around that time for being erratic. Appearing on the Joan Rivers show in a homemade Catwoman suit didn't help.

7. Honey Bunches of Sadness

Honey Bunches of Sadness Forum Resident

Google image search is your friend!

Matthew Tate likes this.
  8. The Snout

The Snout Forum Resident

I can heartily recommend Fletcher in Brainstorm (1983). A prominent role and quite sympathetic regardless of her harshness as a character. And for go-for-it taking-the-piss, she's sensational in Tobe Hooper's Invaders from Mars remake, which I thoroughly enjoy on its own.

9. Ginger Ale

Ginger Ale Snackophile

And the only movie we ever actually walked out on five minutes in.

10. The Snout

The Snout Forum Resident

Even though critics have limited power, the late 80s saw a number of them deciding, apparently as a monolithic force, that some stars had become too big for their britches and required bringing down. (Surprised Bruce Willis hasn't turned up in this conversation yet; his Hudson Hawk was lambasted for these reasons. Though I have no especial feeling for Willis, I loved it, and many laughs in the audience had that "I don't know what's wrong with me, but I like it" vibe.) Can anyone even name an "influential" critic anymore?

11. The Snout

The Snout Forum Resident

As Hopper said later, in American Dreamer, "You're only as good as your Last Movie."

tonyballz likes this.
  12. The Snout

The Snout Forum Resident

What's the problem with the title, Lifeforce? It represents exactly what the film is about.

13. The Snout

The Snout Forum Resident

In what sense do you mean "charged"? [emoji]

14. The Snout

The Snout Forum Resident

A friend of mine in the record business once told me that Loverboy's career came to a halt because it was costing too much to promote them when they were never really that profitable; some people "liked" them (and others of their ilk) because they were popular, not the other way around. I wonder if this is the case with many of the filmmakers we're discussing here.

15. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

I mean it in a 'jokey' way, for...perhaps, no one else wanted to do it???.....maybe....

16. The Snout

The Snout Forum Resident

Am I alone in my appreciation of Warshawski? I've only seen it on its first run, but I remember thinking it a thoughtful and low-key if somewhat formulaic film — definitely not the outsized franchise-bait Turner said at the time she hoped it would be for her (the "franchise" part, not the "outsized").

carrick doone likes this.
  17. The Snout

The Snout Forum Resident

I agree on the "intent" aspect — some of the time. Fred Astaire's blackface sequence in Swing Time was meant as a genuine tribute to artists like Bojangles, but boy is it uncomfortable to watch today (and it just goes on).

18. The Snout

The Snout Forum Resident

Not in the legal sense? (Sorry; lame joke gone awry.)

JediJones likes this.
  19. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

If you've seen the movie, you'd agree the joke you made would be considered too sophisticated!:agree:

20. JediJones

JediJones Forum Resident Thread Starter

Ebert liked it. Had a good argument with Siskel about it.

21. Mist3rCe

Mist3rCe Forum Resident

:D so you missed the Pepsi scene! Shame on you.

Ginger Ale likes this.
  22. The Snout

The Snout Forum Resident

Seems like Hollywood periodically (generationally?) floods the marketplace with young fresh faces in front of and behind the camera and lets them battle it out Hunger Games style. There were many Jonathan Schaeches around that era...whom I would mention if I could only remember their names. Possibly proving Hollywood's point.

23. The Snout

The Snout Forum Resident

...and just like has happened to many directors in the past like Joe Dante, the studio came in the middle of filming because they had a "plan"... only for the Director to get the blame in the end.

[/QUOTE]

Pauline Kael once said words to the effect of, "Has there ever been an instance of studio interference making a movie better?"

Mechanical Man likes this.
  24. The Snout

The Snout Forum Resident

Thanks! That's so nice to see.

25. TheVU

TheVU Forum Resident

The Mummy was such a blunder. The Invisible Man was better for sure. But I think it will take some major creativity to keep that series alive. The potential for a modern Frankenstein or Dracula is so damn high, it would be a shame if they ****ed it up.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.