Movies That Killed Careers

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by JediJones, Apr 14, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

the last move I saw with Andrew...
    The National Tree (2009)

neo123 likes this.
  2. radickeyfan

radickeyfan Forum Resident

Not one of those projects are "A" list...she is finished

3. Abbagold

Abbagold Working class hero

I’ve got firsthand knowledge that she’s a monster to work with and kisses like a fish. So, I’m thinking between her health issues, personality issues and bad choices of movies, she was doomed.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  4. Honey Bunches of Sadness

Honey Bunches of Sadness Forum Resident

I dunno. Carrey subsequently appeared in Lemony Snicket ($200MM worldwide), Fun With Dick and Jane ($200MM), and Yes Man ($220MM). Seems like he did OK.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  5. Honey Bunches of Sadness

The Rock was Bay's second film (after Bad Boys). I don't think Bay had the schlockmeister reputation yet at that point.

Dudley Morris and JediJones like this.
  6. Honey Bunches of Sadness

Her music career was just fine. But she never did much of anything as an actress after Xanadu.

MrGrumpy likes this.
  7. Honey Bunches of Sadness

Yep: Two of a Kind.

She did appear in Sharknado 5 recently. I presume she did it as a lark - I can't imagine she needs the money.

8. Honey Bunches of Sadness

That sounds like a much more interesting film!

Disclaimer: I've never actually seen Pretty Woman, cuz I can't stand Julia Roberts.....

9. Honey Bunches of Sadness

I remember a contemporaneous criticism at the time along the lines: "affirmative action is not a joke".

The film mines racial stereotypes for humor, which I found mostly funny at the time. (E.g., the scene at the pickup basketball game where everyone wants him on their team without ever having seen him play. And then they keep getting his name wrong: Marcus Washington instead of Mark Watson.) But that kind of thing seems way too sensitive to even attempt now.

10. Honey Bunches of Sadness

It's an attention-grabbing scene, and she hit it out of the park. I think a lot of viewers related to her outrage. Righteous indignation - certainly justified in this case - is easy to identify with.

11. Honey Bunches of Sadness

He revived his career by becoming an excellent director. (Certainly better than he was as an actor.) Gone Baby Gone, The Town, and Argo are all good films.

Except for Live By Night - where he cast himself in the lead role - he's pretty much stopped directing since Argo. I wonder why?

JediJones and Brenald79 like this.
  12. Pizza

Pizza With extra pepperoni

Hate European Vacation
    Love Vegas Vacation
    I didn’t realize it was considered bad. I also really liked Fletch Lives.
    The Invisible Man flick Chase made was a double disappointment for me because John Carpenter directed it. Same for Murphy’s Dracula movie which had Wes Craven as its director. I can’t imagine what that set was like.

Matthew Tate and JediJones like this.
  13. AndrewK

AndrewK Forum Resident

I think I liked European Vacation more than Vegas Vacation, but it's been a long time since I watched either one
    how about Cops and Robbersons, I remember watching it in the mid 90's, it wasn't too good either

14. AndrewK

AndrewK Forum Resident

Stephen Baldwin was in a movie Bio-Dome, I don't think that was good for his career at all :D

15. jimac51

jimac51 A mythical beast.

For your consideration: Stephen Baldwin starring in Slap Shot 2. Begging the question: Does Stephen Baldwin make a movie dreadful or is his presence in a bad film just a bonus? While listed as direct-to-video,I have seen parts of this on cable. You know Sat. afternoon TV viewing is at a nadir if this shows up. Cue the PBS gardening shows...
    Gary Busey adds to the stink. The Hanson Bros. become the good,the bad and the ugly,only to show up again for Slap Shot 3.

16. Slackhurst Broadcasting

Slackhurst Broadcasting Forum Resident

Legend has it that the original script (titled 3000 - in the film, the amount that Edward offers Vivian to be his companion for a week) had been around for a while, and came up again at a meeting. Someone said "It's about a billionaire who picks up a whore and dumps her." Someone else said "Why does he have to dump her?" and from that point the film was reworked into what it became.

I can well believe it, because it's really an odd film. Edward (the Richard Gere character) still verges on being creepy.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2021
  17. postscripum

postscripum Forum Resident

18. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

:rolleyes:

She's not a star. Being in one big-budget film doesn't make one an "A-list actor".

She's working regularly, so obviously her career isn't "finished".

I have no idea why you seem determined to claim her career is over when she's doing just fine...

19. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

Disclaimer: Never saw this, dislike her
    A guy I knew back then saw a lot of movies. Sometimes I went with him, sometimes not. He said Striptease was supposed to be a comedy, but was totally unfunny. She delivered her lines like she was in a drama. The only reason there were people (mostly males) in the seats was for the skin.
    I think I remember her Scarlet Letter movie getting panned here as the critic noted she seemed to want to show off her body (in a costume drama?)

20. Oatsdad

No, I get that, but Bay also wasn't a highly acclaimed director like Woo was.

Woo was hot stuff back in 1997 - it was "cool" to work with him at that point.

That was more my point: if you're gonna point to Cage's "sell-out turning point", it's "The Rock", a lowest-common-denominator action flick with a guy most known for TV commercials and music videos, not a stylish sci-fi/action flick with a director seen as being among the best at his craft...

21. luckybaer

luckybaer Thinks The Devil actually beat Johnny

That wouldn't have anything to do with Christensen's horribly wooden performances, would it?

22. Oatsdad

It's shocking that Baldwin went from "Usual Suspects" - a flick that could've really boosted his career - to "Bio Dome" in one year!

His career really did tank after that - I can't find a decent project he's worked on for a quarter of a century!

23. Oatsdad

Affleck planned to direct/star in a Batman movie circa 2017 but left that, and he had some alcoholism issues that impacted him at that time.

Affleck really hasn't done much these last few years period. I suspect he's been more focused on getting his life on track, and he might not want the added stress of directing...

JediJones likes this.
  24. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

Someone once said that S.O.B. killed the careers of some of the people, but many of the actors were known for TV and just stayed in TV, like Larry Hagman.
    I heard Loretta Swit's character was obviously based on a powerful Hollywood gossip writer, so she must have known there would be backlash.
    Robert Preston didn't do much after it, except for Victor/Victoria, which was also a Blake Edwards flick.

JediJones likes this.
  25. Oatsdad

Preston was also in "Last Starfighter", a big sci-fi/action flick that bombed but that looked like a potential hit.

Preston died in 1987, so one suspects illness impacted his career.

Preston wasn't exactly omnipresent in movies anyway - he did none from 1963 to 1972!

I think "SOB" killed precisely zero careers. Even its biggest stars - Julie Andrews and William Holden - were on the downsides of their careers at that point.

And as you note, some of the other more famous members of the cast were primarily known for TV.

Honestly, the vast majority of that film's cast didn't have careers "big" enough to kill! :shrug:

JediJones likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.