Movies that need to be released on DVD.

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Reader, Mar 5, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

Too bad! This second DVD release by Image is a tad better than the first DVD release...The definitive DVD version has yet to surface...Still, The Image might be the way to go...It seems once Image lease expires, they blow 'em out cheap...I picked up one of my childhood favorite 50's trash "She Demons" for less than $8.00...It had a list of 24.95 also...Some of the OOP Image DVD's fetch big bucks on ebay..."They Live" comes to mind, along with the 5 Marx Brothers DVD's...Grab what you want now, some stuff goes OOP quite fast!

2. Jimbo

Jimbo Forum Hall Of Fame

Wild in the Streets. Great campy late 60s flick about the first rock star President, a.k.a. Max Frost. Featuring Richard Pryor in probably his first screen appearance.

SCTV. Come on, guys!!!! What is the hold-up??

3. -=Rudy=-

-=Rudy=- ♪♫♪♫♫♪♪♫♪♪ Staff

I had no idea a legit Charade was available. Ever since I got burned on that first Charade DVD I bought, I've pretty much ignored it. :( (And I thought my $5 videotape was bad...I thought it was a black and white movie until I saw it letterboxed on AMC!)

One TV series I'd like to see is WKRP...I'd buy every one that was released! The Columbia House TV Greats series has some good titles, but the majority are VHS.

4. ashlee5

ashlee5 Senior Member

You should hurry to get the Criterion Charade, Rudy@A&MCorner, for it is now out of print.

Robert Altman is underrepresented in the DVD market. The Long Goodbye just came out but Nashville and Short Cuts are among the missing.

5. The Cellar

The Cellar New Member

Not a movie, but some studio or other should release the original "Pennies From Heaven" TV miniseries starring Bob Hoskins.

6. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

Might you mean IT CAME FROM OUTER SPACE? I didn't think INVADERS FROM MARS was in 3-D. They both came out the same year though, a big year for 3-D. I do agree that the DVD companies should spend a little cash and put out these movies in field-sequential 3-D DVD's. The quote-unquote IMAX movies that are out now are in 3-D, but they're so lame.

7. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Invaders From Mars was NOT released in 3D, but it was indeed FILMED in 3D!

Both "sides" of the camera negative still exist....

8. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

Man, now that would be some cool restoring. I had no idear. Thanks, Steve. Makes me wonder if there were any other classics shot that way, but not released in 3-D.

9. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Yes, but my tiny brain can't think of them right now.

Picture some of the scenes of Invaders From Mars in your mind. Can you see how some of them were filmed for full 3D effect? Watch it again.

What might have been.....

10. Michael

With the furver of DVD releases, anythings possible...Who knows, we may get a 3D treat!!!

11. mcow1

mcow1 Sommelier Gort

Sorry didn't see a reply already

12. mcow1

mcow1 Sommelier Gort

I knew about the shorts. I'm talking about things like Way Out West, A Chump At Oxford etc...
    Way Out West is one of the funniest movies I've ever seen.

13. Claviusb

Claviusb A Serious Man

Can't believe this one hasn't been mentioned...

Orson Welles' Magnificent Ambersons!

BTW, Rudy, check your local Best Buy for the Criterion Charade.

14. mne563

mne563 Senior Member

How about A Hard Days' Night with the correct sound? (In other words, put it out without "digitally restoring" or turning it into fake stereo or really doing anything at all to the audio!) "Give me mono or give me death". (Well, give me mono anyway). This won't happen.

Help! -Same as above (good luck)

Magical Mystery Tour (OK in the remixed stereo, but can we fix that sync problem on "Fool On the Hill"? Gotta have the original mono track as well, and again, good luck because Apple knows best...

Let It Be
    With the original mono S.T. as well as Paul's new and improved (I guess) S.T.

And just for completeness, I seem to remember the mono sound track of the Yellow Submarine DVD switches to newly remixed stereo on a couple of tracks.

Save me from those who would like to save me from myself!

15. Michael

We can dream can't we...Just
    don't letterbox to appease the HT nutbars...

16. Kym

Kym Former Resident

Enchanted April (my favorite movie of all time)
    Once Were Warriors
    The Yakuza
    Torch Song Trilogy
    and so many others....

17. aashton

aashton Here for the waters...

This is available on Region2 if that is of any use to you :)

All the best - Andrew

18. Ed Bishop

Ed Bishop Incredibly, I'm still here

With DVD's capacity and resolution, the 3D films would be perfect for the format, not least INVADERS, the John Wayne western HONDO, the various horror films, and DIAL M FOR MURDER. To keep everyone happy, also include the 'flat' non 3D prints, and some cheapo 3D glasses. I'd buy anything 3D, as it was a great gimmick and I still have some 3D comics I remember with fondness.

ED:cool:

19. HeavyDistortion

HeavyDistortion Senior Member

"Murder By Decree"; my favorite Sherlock Holmes movie, featuring Christopher Plummer as Holmes and James Mason as Watson.

Ed Hurdle
    HeavyDistortion

20. Ed Bishop

Ed Bishop Incredibly, I'm still here

I've been advocating letterbox and full-screen versions for every movie. Keeps everybody happy, one way or the other. But letterboxing takes precedence: no excuse for a dishonest fullscreen image, not least when the film was shot in true anamorphic widescreen! The Beatles' films weren't--that's british aspect ratio in the 1.75:1 vicinity, same as the first three James Bond flicks.

And if a contrived 'stereo' or otherwise altered soundtrack has to be used, also include the original mono or Dolby Stereo mix as well. Be fair, people!

ED:cool:

21. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

Does anybody know if "After Hours" (Scorcese) is going to be released soon?

thanks

22. njwiv

njwiv Senior Member

A total of 17 episodes, I believe. 'Tweren't cheap!

23. mcow1

mcow1 Sommelier Gort

Rudy there's 32 episodes of Peter Gunns out there.
    Peter Gunn :)

24. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

I had a buddy from college who was from Zanesville, Ohio. This is the home for the Center for White Studies in this amusing series. We used to kid him about it a lot. For those of you who haven't seen this Martin Mull series, you should at least be able to benefit from its scholarly conclusions which, if I recall correctly, were that white people like mayonnaise and have nice lawns. :laugh:

Regards,

25. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

Errol Flynn is criminally underrepresented on DVD.
    The James Cagney situation is even worse.
    The Fred Astaire situation is only marginally better.

I think this will be out by the end of this year as part of Fox's Studio Classics line.

One that I really want is the Clark Gable/Charles Laughton version of "Mutiny on the Bounty"

Regards,

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.